Audi A5 - Audi A5 can belt change - veloceman
Have a friend that has a 61plate A5 2.0tdi

Service book says cambelt due at 133k miles with no time limit.
Just been in for service and dealer says is due now.
Current mileage is 74k.
(I have always driven Alfas say change at 80k but we all know you should have it done at 40-50k)

Does this seem about right.
Many thanks
Audi A5 - Audi A5 can belt change - SLO76
It's well overdue. Should be done every 5 years or 75k whichever comes first along with tensioners and water pump. It'll kill the engine if it snaps so I'd tell your friend to get it done right away! www.mytimingbelt.com/Results.aspx?ModelId=77
Audi A5 - Audi A5 can belt change - RT

133k is a strange number - maybe km not miles

Audi A5 - Audi A5 can belt change - veloceman
Service book says;
210k km or 133k miles - looks odd to me too!
Many thanks for your replies.
Service book says; 210k km or 133k miles - looks odd to me too! Many thanks for your replies.

I read that wrong, thought the car had done 133,000 miles. Yup most likely in km but the recommended time limit is 5yrs regardless so it is still overdue. Tell him to call his local dealer to verify and get a price, sometimes they're not far off pricewise. I was quoted much the same money to do my VW Caddy van at our main dealer than two local independents.
Audi A5 - Audi A5 can belt change - John F
but the recommended time limit is 5yrs regardless so it is still overdue. ...

Whose 'recommended time limit' ? Audi's or an anonymous poster with no checkable authority on the matter? Modern good quality original equipment belts using aramid fibres do not deteriorate much with age which is why so many cars now have no time limit. If it were mine I would leave well alone. The risk of a cack-handed job resulting in subsequent problems probably far exceeds the risk of belt breakage after so few miles.

Audi A5 - Audi A5 can belt change - RobJP

Whose 'recommended time limit' ? Audi's or an anonymous poster with no checkable authority on the matter? Modern good quality original equipment belts using aramid fibres do not deteriorate much with age which is why so many cars now have no time limit. If it were mine I would leave well alone. The risk of a cack-handed job resulting in subsequent problems probably far exceeds the risk of belt breakage after so few miles.

Did you not get smacked down enough by Avant for your last lot of spouted nonsense, John F ?

"If it were mine", he says. This is coming from a man that will boast about his once-a-decade oil changes, his 20-30 year old 'in perfect condition' tyres, and, of course, not forgetting his amazingly well-built (as they all were) TR7.

Take any advice he gives you with an amazing amount of caution. Or just view what he says as 'alternative facts', a la Trump.

Edited by RobJP on 23/01/2017 at 16:04

Audi A5 - Audi A5 can belt change - John F

Did you not get smacked down enough by Avant for your last lot of spouted nonsense, John F ?

"If it were mine", he says. This is coming from a man that will boast about his once-a-decade oil changes, his 20-30 year old 'in perfect condition' tyres, and, of course, not forgetting his amazingly well-built (as they all were) TR7.

Take any advice he gives you with an amazing amount of caution. Or just view what he says as 'alternative facts', a la Trump.

Nonsense? Smacked down? I don't think so.

My factual records show that I renewed my TR7's oil & filter in 1989(51,000m) 1993(56,000) 1997 (58100) 2002 (60900) and 2013 (66600). Before then it was every 6000m as per BL recommendation.

So only once has it exceeded 10yrs. It still runs perfectly with no need for top ups between changes as unlike some modern engines, e.g. Mini, the well-built pistons fit properly in the well built cylinders. If it wasn't well built it would be scrap by now, like most of its Speke predecessors, many of which were indeed badly built.

I might remove the cam cover this summer for the second time in its life to check the valve clearances (last done in 1987 at 41,000, they needed no adjustment then). I will let you know if I find any sludge.

Where, in all my posts, have I 'boasted....about 20-30yr old tyres in perfect condition' ? My records show they were 24yrs old when I changed them - uniformly worn with slight superficial cracking but still perfectly legal and most unlikely to blow out as TR7 tyre pressures are so low by modern standards.

There seems to be lot of sometimes vituperative nonsense expressed on here by those with a vested interest in car business who dislike my opinions. By all means disagree, but do please try to do it pleasantly and with some evidential authority.

"There seems to be lot of sometimes vituperative nonsense expressed on here by those with a vested interest in car business who dislike my opinions."

Hope you're not referring to my good self John? I trade a small number of cars from home but carry out no mechanical work for reward thus recommending regular maintenance gains me not a single penny outside of perhaps a greater selection of properly maintained motors to trade.

I've witnessed plenty of distress purchases being made particularly now my focus is on sub £3,000 run of the mill cars and the bulk of those sell to people either buying for the first time or because their own car has self destructed, more often than not due to poor maintenance quite regularly snapped timing belts.

Had one recently with a Clio 1.2 16v with a ruined engine thanks to ignoring belt change recommendation. A car that would've been worth at least £1k as a trade in or a few hundred quid more privately is now baked bean cans thanks to a £250 belt change being missed.
Thanks for that John but my 5yr figure comes from the manufacturer themselves. Fair enough if you choose to risk a belt failure on your old worthless Ford Focus or on your non-interference Passat but it's risking a hugely costly failure to ignore recommended belt changes on a complex motor like this.

In my 22 years in the trade I've seen and heard of plenty of catastrophic belt failures that've cost owners dear but I will agree that VAG are a bit overcautious regarding belt changes compared to other firms.

If the car is worth more than £1,000 I'd do it on time or fairly close to, if it's worth less than this cut off I'd say run it til it drops. An A5 isn't worth taking the risk on in this "anonymous poster" with more than two decades experience of buying and selling cars humble opinion.
Audi A5 - Audi A5 can belt change - skidpan

Where, in all my posts, have I 'boasted....about 20-30yr old tyres in perfect condition' ? My records show they were 24yrs old when I changed them - uniformly worn with slight superficial cracking but still perfectly legal and most unlikely to blow out as TR7 tyre pressures are so low by modern standards.

What complete and utter nonsense.

They might be uniformly worn but that does not mean they are safe.

You say the cracking was superfical but that is only what is visible, at 24 years old what is happening withing the carcass.

Low tyre pressures does not mean a tyre will not suffer a blow out. If the "superficial" cracks develop and they loose pressure suddenly you will soon find yourself in a situation you would have rather have avoided. At that age and with cracks you would be charged and the garage carrying out MOT's should loose their licence.

Avant, its about time JohnF was prevented from having his unique and potentially life threatening opinions posted on this forum. If another person thought these were valid and suffered a catastrophic failure (or worse) who would be responsible in our ever more "where there's blame there's a claim" society.

Answers on a postcard please.

Audi A5 - Audi A5 can belt change - jc2

Don't worry about it;I'm sure John F will be happy to buy you a new engine when your belt fails before 133,000 miles.

Audi A5 - Audi A5 can belt change - RichT54

Whose 'recommended time limit' ? Audi's or an anonymous poster with no checkable authority on the matter?

SLO76 is correct, on this official Audi page:

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/regular-maintenance.html

In the section headed "Cam belt change" it says:

"it should be checked and replaced every five years or as per the mileage specified in your Audi service schedule – whichever comes first"

Audi A5 - Audi A5 can belt change - skidpan

When I bought my Leon 1.4 TSi the belt drive engine was very new and the recommended change interval varied between the diiferent makes in the VAG group. VW said it was fitted for the lifetime of the car, Skoda said 12 years or 100,000 miles and the delaer I bought the car form said 3 years or 36,000 miles.

There is no way I would want to follow VW's or even Skoda's advised schedules but the one specified by Seat was the shortest interval I had seen since I had been driving. High mileage drivers could be changing the belt every 2 years or less and at almost £400 it would make the car uneconomical to own for many people.

So I sent Seat an e-mail and got the following back:

"I am delighted to confirm that on your SEAT Leon, we recommend the cam belt is first checked at 60,000 miles, and every 20,000miles thereafter. If there is no damage at these points the cambelt will not need changing. If the belt is not changed, regardless of condition, it must be replaced at 120,000 miles or when the vehicle is 5 years old, whichever comes first."

Sounds pretty much like Audis recomendation for the A5.