Maintain no claims bonus - threes

Hello. I've not had an insurance policy for ~18 months, so my 10+ years no claims is going to expire in 6 months due to the 2 year rule employed by most insurers.

Am planning on buying a car sometime next year and have got some quotes with/without no claims history: it's ~£250 more per year if I dont have any no claims history.

Co-op currently do honour up to 3 years no claims history gap, but they would not provide a qoute online, so I'm no going to rely on them still doing the 3 year thing, or providing me a quote when i need it.

I think my options are:

1. Take a policy out on my wife's car. As her policy is 4 months old, there would be some cost to cancelling it. Although the annual premium is ~£50 cheaper for me insuring it.

2. Buy an old cheap (low insurance group) car, park it up and insure it. It seems the cheapest insurance quote I could get was ~£150 for something like a polo, panda, etc.

Option one would probably work out cheapest, but is a bit of hassle and ideally my wife wants to keep her own policy going.

For option 2, if i can find a cheap car, for around £50 it may be easier.

What I actually need is just a V5, and not an actual car ! Not sure if I can just buy one of those though ....

Welcome any suggestions.

Maintain no claims bonus - RT

When I had a company car, I was always keen to keep NCD on both my policy and my wife's - so her car insurance alternated between her name for two years, with me as named driver and then in my name for two years, with her as a named driver - in both cases I actually drove her car more miles/year than she did so simply declared I was the main driver.

When I retired we reverted to insuring each car conventionally, with me still declared as main driver on both cars but lost the NCD when we upsized to one car.

That would certainly have been the best way to do it, but unfortunately my 2 years is up before my wife's is due for renewal. So I would have to cancel it, paying whatever charge there is for that, if I went down that route. I'll get a figure for this so I can compare the two options ...

Maintain no claims bonus - Cyd

Why not look on eBay for someone breaking a small cheap car like a C1/Aygo or something and contact them to see if they'd sell you the V5?

Cost to cancel wife's policy was £50, with the balance returned pro-rata. My quote for a policy on her car was £100 cheaper than what she originally paid. So ... I think I'll go with that option.

Thanks.

Maintain no claims bonus - MikeRovie

Option 2 sounds like a good idea. I wish I had thought of that!

I've not been driving for a few years now so don't have any NCB, now I'm trying to get inurance and it's expensive as hell.

Maintain no claims bonus - slkfanboy

When I went from company car back to private, that took into account some the time I had the company car and gave me 3 years NCD.

So I would checkout that option first