Manufacturer Approved V Franchise - anyDifference? - Too Far

I recently asked a question about buying approved cars and I got some good advice - thank you.

So I am now looking to buy an approved car and I have a couple of quick questions that I hope someone could help me with. Apologies if they seem a bit daft!

On Autotrader, as you will probably know, some of the adverts have a little green tick by them. The adverts with a little green tick either say 'Manufacturer Approved' or 'Franchise'. Can anyone tell me exactly what the difference is, and is there an advantage to either classification?

Also, some of the adverts that don't have a green tick, still state that the car is 'approved' within the text of the ad. Do you think these cars are worth looking at, even if Autotrader haven't verified them, especially if I'm looking for peace of mind when it comes to the condition of the car and a manufacturers' warranty ?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Manufacturer Approved V Franchise - anyDifference? - oldroverboy.

Read this

It is for Kia, but the manufacturer approved are broadly similiar.

www.kia.co.uk/kia-approved-used-cars/about-approve...s

A dealer approved car is just that, approved by the dealer.

I have a kia for the warranty and the cost/quality/comfort equation. it's my second one.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 15/08/2016 at 09:12

Manufacturer Approved V Franchise - anyDifference? - RT

Generally, "manufacturer-approved" cars will only be sold at dealers of that manufacturer. Frankly, a "franchised" dealer of "X" brand selling a used car from "Y" brand tells you nothing about the car.

Manufacturer Approved V Franchise - anyDifference? - gordonbennet

Generally, "manufacturer-approved" cars will only be sold at dealers of that manufacturer. Frankly, a "franchised" dealer of "X" brand selling a used car from "Y" brand tells you nothing about the car.

It might actually say to some that the previous owner thought the thing was rubbish, and voted with feet.

I know nothing about these tick boxes the OP refers to, if a car is close to or out of makers new car warranty, then approved used is the next best thing, worth finding out if some extra makers warranty can be added to sweeten the deal, son and DiL have just negotiated an extra 2 years Honda approved used cover on their just purchased 3 year old CRV, making 3 years cover in all.