Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - Steveieb

The UK government needs to acknowlege what a positive contribution Honda has made to the UK car industry.

Unlike Nissan, Tata - Land Rover Ford and GM they have taken no government handouts while supporting thousands of jobs in Swindon.

And what a way to treat an honourable company. After their input to BL in helping them to make their best built and reliable car the Acclaim they were deprived by the government into buying the remains of the company. Only to let the company go down the drain under BMW who cherry picked the parts they wanted i.e Mini and RR technology.

Then to allow Honda F1 tobe sold when they were doing so badly and low and behold next season winning the title under the new owners.

I do not presently own a Honda but previous dealings with Honda have shown me what an honourable company they are when it comes to warranty.

Perahaps those of us who want to fly the flag for Britain ought to be examining their concience and buying Honda.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - gordonbennet

Manufacturing hasn't been wanted nor supported in this country for decades, its been shackled with increasing costs such as energy as we pursued another agenda, we went with service non industry and financial and eventually became a massive warehouse stuffed to the rafters with Chinese plastic and electronic tat, and we are going to pay the cost for that neglect of wealth making and the real productive careers and skills it nurtures dearly for decades to come.

I agree that Honda was the best thing that could have happened to BL, put some much needed quality into the product, sheer greed saw them disregarded but one has to wonder now if this wasn't just part of the design of the handing over of economic (read manufacturing) control of europe to Germany.

This country has elected poor unpatriotic leaders for the past 40 years, those who were visionaries or who didn't read from the hymnsheet of the day castigated and cast aside, quite why we put such creatures into number 10 time after time i really can't fathom, maybe we have a national death wish.

£1.5 Trillion national debt is the result and showing no signs of slowing.

I did fly the flag for years on end, eventually discovered i was one of a handful left insisting everything i bought (new at least) had to be made in Britain, what a silly fool i was, the last straw was when i went to buy a microwave oven and there on the shelf was a Belling, complete with proud union jack sticker on the front, that'll do me, you guessed it made in China, didn't buy it, that was probably when i realised it was game over.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant, ignore me, back to motoring,

Toyota seem to be as honourable in their dealings and committed to the country as Honda too.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - alan1302

Honda wanted to sell the F1 team...and not sure the government should be getting into F1!?!?

Also why no mention of Toyota in the UK?

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - oldroverboy.

Some of us welcomed the R8 (200) when it appeared in switzerland with the Honda 1.6 engine, what a pleasure to sell a car that you would only see at the next service interval...

And it was nice and nicely designed and built too.

in the early 90's when i commented on the sale od rover to BMW, my ideas were dismissed, but Honda had enough sense not to buy it (in my opinion)

Toyota have done well for my hometown with an engine plant in North Wales..

But as gordon says, the shift to a service industry has destroyed vast swathes of our industrial heartlands.

The Japanese, Indians and BMW, where the have invested in the uk have invested heavily for the long term, something which almost no uk company has done for 75 years. Rolls Royce/Bentley (both German) have invested heavily and modernized and rebuilt the factories.

There are lots of successes in Industry in the Uk but all seem to be with companies who invest long term.

I was under the impression that Toyota received government handouts for its plants at Burnaston and Wales. But Honda chose Swindon which perhaps would not qualify.

Is this correct ?
Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - RT

Swindon is an "Expanding Town" and gets national, regional and local financial support which Honda must have benefitted from.

There were/are various different types or financial support - Expanding Towns, New Towns, Regional Development Areas and specific EU industry regeneration schemes like the Coal Industry.

UK governments have been supporting the auto industry in many ways for a very long time - going back to the Shadow Factories of the 1930s which were always intended for aircraft production in the event of war - as well as supporting the post-WW2 auto industry to put those factories back into use.

Japan has done much the same since WW2 - supporting it's own auto industry to the exclusion of importers. Subaru was created to provide employment for the aircraft engineers who built all the Nakajima aircraft which destroyed the RAF in the Far East in 1941/2.

The suggestion that Honda is different is wierd.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - Cyd

Unlike Nissan, Tata - Land Rover Ford and GM they have taken no government handouts while supporting thousands of jobs in Swindon.

Back in the mid noughties after some years under Ford ownership, JLR very nearly went to the wall. Then a German CEO was brought in under Tata (Indian) ownership. Since then Tata have invested £billions and sales worldwide have more than doubled and the range of cars is very impressive. Such is the rate of expension JLR have had to employ Engineers from Fiat, Renault and more. UK manufacturing plants can't cope with demand so JLR are opening plants in Slovakia, China and Brazil. JLR employ over 30,000 directly and something like 200,000 UK jobs are dependant. Not to mention workers in many other countries making parts, selling and servicing cars, transporting them etc etc etc.
Does this sound like a failing company to you? Do you suppose our CEO knows his stuff?

You do a grave injustice by supposing that being in receipt of a Government grant is the only worthy measure of success. And as an R&D Engineer whose returned to JLR after a few years away and now playing my small part, I'm insulted!

The British motor industry is at it's healthiest for decades. We're producing more cars here than we've ever done in the past.

You do a grave injustice by supposing that being in receipt of a Government grant is the only worthy measure of success. And as an R&D Engineer whose returned to JLR after a few years away and now playing my small part, I'm insulted!

The British motor industry is at it's healthiest for decades. We're producing more cars here than we've ever done in the past.

It is a long time since i left (when Rover pulled out of swtzerland) and I am pleased that my other former employer has succeeded with investment. That is the point I made. The uk motor industry has been revived by the massive foreign investment.

Cyd.. Proud of you...

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - Cyd

ORB - I joined Rover Group at Cowley as a sponsored student back in 1983. Always been in the Body Engineering organisation. BE alone is 2000 people strong now.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - Auristocrat

Government 'handouts' are usually used to encourage investment and employment. Although Honda didn't receive any Government money for Swindon, the close proximity of Swindon to the Rover Group, and especially Pressed Steel at Swindon (now part of BMW - Swindon Pressings Ltd), made sense for Honda., and it was also a way to circumnavigate the import quota on Japanese cars.

An extract from Honda of the UK Manufacturing's website:

"1979 Honda developed its long-term strategy for Europe. At the time, a government agreement limited the import quota of Japanese cars into Europe, so Honda decided on a partnership approach with British Leyland. This evolved through the 1980s, with the Rover Group building Honda models and Rover equivalents. Honda of the UK Manufacturing Ltd (HUM) was originally established to serve three main functions: to provide a Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) centre; to centralise the UK PDI function for all Honda cars imported to the UK; and to manufacture and supply the closing panels of the Honda Ballade which were being made by Rover.

The Greenfield site itself, which was previously used to construct and test Spitfires, was purchased from Vickers Supermarine in 1985."

The Rover version of the Ballade was the original Rover 200.

Honda also undertook quality control inspections of the Honda version of the Rover R8 (Honda Concerto) at Swindon. The Concerto was built by Rover at Longbridge, and completed Concertos were transported to Swindon to undergo the Honda QC process. Those that paased the process progressed into the Honda dealer network, those that didn't were returned to Longbridge for rectification, before being re-submitted.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - Auristocrat

Government 'handouts' are usually used to encourage investment and employment. Although Honda didn't receive any Government money for Swindon, the close proximity of Swindon to the Rover Group, and especially Pressed Steel at Swindon (now part of BMW - Swindon Pressings Ltd), made sense for Honda, and it was also a way to circumnavigate the import quota on Japanese cars.

An extract from Honda of the UK Manufacturing's website:

"1979 Honda developed its long-term strategy for Europe. At the time, a government agreement limited the import quota of Japanese cars into Europe, so Honda decided on a partnership approach with British Leyland. This evolved through the 1980s, with the Rover Group building Honda models and Rover equivalents. Honda of the UK Manufacturing Ltd (HUM) was originally established to serve three main functions: to provide a Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) centre; to centralise the UK PDI function for all Honda cars imported to the UK; and to manufacture and supply the closing panels of the Honda Ballade which were being made by Rover.

The Greenfield site itself, which was previously used to construct and test Spitfires, was purchased from Vickers Supermarine in 1985."

The Rover version of the Ballade was the original Rover 200.

Honda also undertook quality control inspections of the Honda version of the Rover R8 (Honda Concerto) at Swindon. The Concerto was built by Rover at Longbridge, and completed Concertos were transported to Swindon to undergo the Honda QC process. Those that passed the process progressed into the Honda dealer network; those that didn't were returned to Longbridge for rectification, before being re-submitted to Swindon.

Edited by Auristocrat on 11/06/2016 at 16:51

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - merlin

Honda are a good company however they had and are having their fair share of problems in F1.

Apparently in the year before Brawn, Honda were so concerned about reliability that they turned the engine right down. As a result the car was not competitive. The engineers tried to get Honda to tune the engine for more power but they wouldn't do it.

One of the reasons why the Brawn went on to win the championship was the switch to a competitive engine. Of course the diffuser played a major role too.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - daveyK_UK

I actually think Honda are on the decline, they are increasinly becoming a niche product company in europe.

The Honda dealer network hs started to shrink and their market share is still minor.

They work on a diferent business model to alot of other car manufacturers, but if they want to take a greater share they may need to adapt their policy.

If only Honda sold half of their USA line up in Europe and priced their cars more competitvely in europe, they would have a far greater market share.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - madf

Honda have been badly hit by an airbag recall .. millions of cars affected. The impact on profits has been $billions - the airbag manufacturer could not afford the recalls alone.

As far as F1 is concerned, Mclaren specified a compact package.. this limited power potential..

Honda are follwoing a Subaru policy..- although with 4.5 million cars/year they are much bigger than Subaru (under 1 million iirc)...eg Concentrate on markets which are large and where you can do well. eg US.. Run UK operations for profit.

I will never forget the exitement I felt when driving my Mk Accord Saloon. A truly beautiful car which I loved.

And the MK 2 Prelude an amazing car again the favourite of the late great LKJ Setright.

My Jazz is hardly exciting to drive.But it is very easy to drive and park and carries four beehives with ease - complete with bees.

The Magic Seats are great when carrying what beekeepers carry - shovels, rakes, smokers, wellies, chainsaws, ropes, hives (of course), and honey extractors..I would never buy a vehicle without their equivalent.

It also copes with single track roads with passing spaces better than most cars.(Big 4x4s are too large and would get stuck. Their owners tend not to want to go onto the muddly roadsides - I assume it's because they are afraid of getting stuck :-) )

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - slkfanboy

Im sure Honda being in the UK has more to do with trade tariffs as it would cost them 10% more to import the cars.

Labour costs and lack of Unions and a UK goverment looking for investment in the UK made Honda and other move to the UK rather than other places within Europe.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - John F

Labour costs and lack of Unions and a UK goverment looking for investment in the UK made Honda and other move to the UK rather than other places within Europe.

And leaving Europe would probably not bode well for the future of our hosted Japanese motor industry.

Looking at what is happening in France, Im sure any of our hosted manufacturers would think twice about moving production there unless it is imposed such as in the case of Renault Nissan.

Looking at what is happening in France, Im sure any of our hosted manufacturers would think twice about moving production there unless it is imposed such as in the case of Renault Nissan.

Labour laws have a major effect on the choice of location for many new factories, not just the car industry.

That's why new car factories tend to be built in "economic development areas" and not near traditional car factories - in America, the non-American factories are well away from Detroit - in the UK, Honda/Nissan/Toyota are away from Birmingham/Coventry - and in Europe, France, Belgium and Germany are avoided by outside car makers.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - carl_a

Honda did a good job in the past with reasonable products that appealed to a wide audience. But two things happened at the same time that removed most of their market.

They started to go backwards design wise with the eighth generation Civic (2015) and they followed with the same failing theme with the ninth generation.

Hyundai and Kia started selling very competitive European built and taylored cars. Moderately styled, good value and well enginered, with the right specification for the target market.

Honda needs to move away from their present styling, build reliable and comfortable cars (The present ones are tiny inside). Giving a 5 year warranty and dropping the cost of the products will help too. Mazda now seem to be where Honda was 15 years ago.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - nortones2

Honda styling and presentation may be lacking, although matters of taste, but to criticise reliability and internal room is absurd.

Edited by nortones2 on 21/06/2016 at 21:03

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - carl_a

Honda styling and presentation may be lacking, although matters of taste, but to criticise reliability and internal room is absurd.

I haven't criticised reliability, I suggested things that they needed to do or continue to do.

As for the space, Honda design their cars to have larger than average boots and back seat accomodation, this reduces room in the front. I've never even managed a test drive in their car as I don't physically fit. How it can be absurd to mention something that prevents them selling cars.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - Bolt

I haven't criticised reliability, I suggested things that they needed to do or continue to do.

As for the space, Honda design their cars to have larger than average boots and back seat accomodation, this reduces room in the front. I've never even managed a test drive in their car as I don't physically fit. How it can be absurd to mention something that prevents them selling cars.

The back seat I think is only designed for 2 adults as the middle is rather small/uncomfortable at least for long journeys

I have heard people complain about headroom in the front, so I guess thats what you mean, though I have not found a car yet that has everything I want, maybe next years Civic will be better.

though the only complaint I have with the Tourer is the fuel consumption is not as good as expected

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - Bolt

Honda needs to move away from their present styling, build reliable and comfortable cars (The present ones are tiny inside).

Not sure what car your talking about, but its not the 8th or 9th gen, styling I agree is a matter of taste, but reliability is better than most, certainly not tiny inside so wonder if you have been in one

If you check out the 10th generation in USA its totally reworked, more roomy, and comfortable.

Hatch should be here in Feb 2017 which I am interested in

I can confirm the civic is more cramped in both the front and back compared with many similar rivals.

the other cars in this segment that are more cramped than the Civic include the peugeot 308, ford focus and citroen c4 and ds4.

the toyota auris, hyundai i30 and kia c'eed are bareable but not great.

the nissan pulsar, skoda rapid, seat toledo, vauxhall astra, vw golf, seat leon, skoda octavia are all good.

the new suzuki balero and new fiat tipo are reviewed as having excellent interior room

I have great difficulty with the rear view when reversing in the Civic, which Honda may have acknowledged by fitting a rear view camera.

My sons girlfriend took her test in one and had major difficulties with rear vision when parking.

As regards fuel consumption, Honda were always light years ahead with the Mk 1 Accord, Civic and Quartet.

But for me how i would love Honda to find a replacement for the Prelude, with its command post outlook, low centre of gravity and attention to detail it was an icon and a car that Setright chose for his parting shot after testing every conceivabe make and model.

Civic R engines are amazing but the S 2000 gear shift is something i will always remember as unbeatable.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - Warning

"Manufacturing hasn't been wanted nor supported in this country for decades, its been shackled with increasing costs such as energy as we pursued another agenda,"

The Government worked hard to attract investment from Jaguar, Toyota, Nissan, Honda. However, if you look at how each of those regions voted, they voted for a Brexit.

Sunderland, which relies on a single employer Nissan voted 61.3% to leave the EU!!!.

Now the reason cars are made in the UK rather imported from Japan, is to avoid all the tarrifs. Nissan chose the UK!. Those jobs were created as a result of being in the EU. Nissan's loyalty has been kicked in the teeth. If the UK is outside the EU, it puts all those car manufacturing plants outside the EU and car would be subject to tariffs (until those trade deals are sorted out). It beggars belief why workers in car manufacturing regions would take a such a big risk?. Manufacturing jobs are a matter of pride for this country, but also hard won.

Nissan, Toyota, Honda could have built their plants anywhere, but they chose the UK.

I am not a fan of the EU but Sunderland is not facing a migrant crisis.

These car workers are putting their own jobs at risk and car manufacturers would have to re-evaluate their future in the UK.

If Nissan car workers have no loyalty to the Nissan, how can I trust a Nissan factory worker to build with loyalty to the customer? May be they don't give a toss about the customer?. Would my car be built with due diligence? A car not plagued with faults?.

I have bought Nissan, largely because they were reliable and because my driver instructor had one. I have lost failth in Nissan and I guess my gut instincts not to a buy Nissan Qashqai were right. A Japanese Nissan worker would have never done this!

Sorry if this offends some people, but I cant beleive those who work in British manufacturing would do this....

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3660150/C...l

wrong.

The european union cripples the 3rd world, it destroys opportunity and damages the lives of millions of people to help prop-up an elitest rich 1% in europe.

The recent fishing deal with the nation of mauritania is a good example.

A nation that relys heavily on small scale fishing to survive.

So what did the EU do?

Only this year it did a deal with the dictator like ruler of the country to give rich european fishing companys access to rape its waters, removing a huge tonnage of fish far in excess of what experts have said is responsible.

And what will local poor mauratanians get in response? nothing.

the corrupt leaders get a big cheque to spend on 'development' with no strings attached, while the local people using tradiitonal fishing methods will find their livelihoods ruined just to increase the profits of big businesses protected by an elitest club.

Good riddance to the EU which spreads poverty, and well done to the people of Sunderland.

The european union cripples the 3rd world....

The recent fishing deal with the nation of mauritania is a good example.

A nation that relys heavily on small scale fishing to survive.

So what did the EU do?

Only this year it did a deal with ... the country to

And what will local poor mauratanians get in response? nothing.

Wrong. Read the terms of the deal...

ec.europa.eu/fisheries/cfp/international/agreement...m

As far as the Sunderland workers are concerned I doubt if the ones that voted to leave had much idea of the possible consequences of voting the way they did. I am beginning to wonder what the difference between referenda and mob rule is. Reminds me of the 'winds of change' in sub-saharan Africa when everyone danced in the streets after 'independence' thinking life would get so much better....

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - brum

Fortunately we have a system called democracy that allows every individual to have their own opinion and to express it in a vote.

Fortunately we have a system called democracy that allows every individual to have their own opinion and to express it in a vote.

As they have just done - with a higher turnout than most general elections and a bigger majority than many of them.

Remember that promise of a referendum was a manifesto pledge of the Conservatives that helped them get elected - none of the other parties would even give us a referendum, that wouldn't have been democratic.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - gordonbennet

Course whether the official leave group (who may well have started the campaign mentioning a second vote before the first one was over) haven't actually taken us out yet.

Be interesting to see which Blairite nu-tory front bencher gets the PM's job, if a recent convenient convert to leaving the EU then another vote is well on the cards IMHO.

As they have just done - with a higher turnout than most general elections and a bigger majority than many of them.

Remember that promise of a referendum was a manifesto pledge of the Conservatives that helped them get elected - none of the other parties would even give us a referendum, that wouldn't have been democratic.

There is a proverb which says be careful what you wish for...

But (and being of immigrant stock, as is swmbo)

Housing, schools, healthcare etc.

Swmbo tells me of 60 patients to be seen in an afternoon clinic.. HOW? 4 minutes each???

I have a changing melanoma on my arm, and swmbo cannot deal with it, 24 days for an appointment... My neighbours 3 boys going to 2 different schools a no room for all in one..

I believe firmly that these things do matter to ordinary people and the result of the referendum was a democratic leave vote. (but a protest vote all the same)

Now deal with the consequences..

Althogh perhaps time to close the thread....

We're all immigrants - if you go back far enough - even the Celts.

Unresticted migration is a wonderful concept, for those countries which are inherently undesirable - for a desirable country like the UK where so many want to come, net migration has to have limits - we couldn't do that within the EU, even after trying to reform it, so Leave was the only sensible option.

We're all immigrants - if you go back far enough - even the Celts.

Unresticted migration is a wonderful concept, for those countries which are inherently undesirable - for a desirable country like the UK where so many want to come, net migration has to have limits.

Quite so. We have needed a modern equivalent of Hadrian's wall for some time now.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - jc2

This was reported as offensive - deleted.

Edited by Avant on 27/06/2016 at 17:32

I find that offensive. My first mother in law escaped the concentration camps (she was jewish) one of the rare ones who actually escaped! and she forgave.

My uncle willie was a pow in a troop ship bound for japan (lisbon maru for those interested along with many others) and torpedoed by the americans, again, forgiven.

If we are not to descend back into barbarism there is a time to forgive and heal.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - jc2

You may have forgiven;I haven't yet!

I find that offensive. My first mother in law escaped the concentration camps (she was jewish) one of the rare ones who actually escaped! and she forgave.

My uncle willie was a pow in a troop ship bound for japan (lisbon maru for those interested along with many others) and torpedoed by the americans, again, forgiven.

If we are not to descend back into barbarism there is a time to forgive and heal.

I agree - we have every right to protect our current position but historic prejudices have no place except in the history books.

My father never forgave the Japanese for their barbaric treatment of PoWs and I was prejudiced against Japanese cars for several decades after his early death - but eventually realised that the world is two generations on from those dark days and eventually bought a Subaru - even after discovering it was built in an ex-aircraft factory where they'd built the planes which wiped out my father's squadron.

Honda UK This countrys debt of Honour - quizman

An Uncle was inca***rated by the Japanes for several years, he was captured after our disgraceful surrender at Singapore. When he came home he weighed 5 stones and my Aunt didn't recognise him. This has put me off buying Japanese stuff if I can help it and I've never had a Japanese car.

When I went to visit his son, my cousin, I was surprised to see he was running a Honda!

An Uncle was inca***rated by the Japanes for several years, he was captured after our disgraceful surrender at Singapore. When he came home he weighed 5 stones and my Aunt didn't recognise him. This has put me off buying Japanese stuff if I can help it and I've never had a Japanese car.

When I went to visit his son, my cousin, I was surprised to see he was running a Honda!

Singapore was inevitable given the stategy and equipment our forces had - the only aircraft there were obsolete ones, including biplanes - our planners never expected a land attack, not that we could defend an air attack anyway.

Sir you are wrong on the EU Mauritania fishing deal, please do some reader H.

Some of the EU's biggest cheerleaders have commented how disgusting the deal is, and this is only one of hundreds of deals the EU has done in the interest of an elitist rich 1% of Central Europe.

Good riddance to the EU club that promotes poverty.

My father fought the Japanese in Burma.

He forgave and forgot and lived a normal live.

People who don't forget and forgive were responsble for the Irish Troubles, the Yugoslvian civil war and the Middle East problems.

Way before the referendum there was a post on this website claiming that Renault were considering transferring Nissan production from Sunderland to under utilised Renault plants in France.

This would give them direct access to the very successful Nissan line up and bolster production on the home front.