Land Rover Freelander 2 - Dealer increases price after vehicle reserved - chrisjoy

I noticed a very good deal through the Land Rover Approved Used website for a Freelander 2. I immediately 'reserved' the vehicle through their online system and paid a holding deposit, allowing me 48 hours to view the vehicle.

When I called Land Rover, they said that there had been a mistake with their pricing and could not honour the reservation, even though they took a holding deposit of £500. They money was not actually taken from my account, rather a hold was put on it until I came to view and potentially buy the vehicle.

They claimed that they are covered by their terms and conditions ie. don't believe any details about cars on their website. Do I have any rights, given that I reserved the vehicle and received written confirmation (by email) of the (mistaken) retail price?

Land Rover Freelander 2 - Dealer increases price after vehicle reserved - Cyd

Ah, for shame! So a vendor advertised a vehicle with the wrong price, you spotted it and thought you'd make a profit. the vendor realised their mistake and before any transaction had taken place, pulled the sale. So now you're miffed. Diddums!

nice try, hard luck.

Land Rover Freelander 2 - Dealer increases price after vehicle reserved - oldroverboy.

You had not placed an order, so unfortunately.. they can withdraw the vehicle from sale.

Go elsewhere, and quite why you would want to buy one I don't know. It will be a moneypit as soon as it is out of warranty. If it is very low mileage and nearly new, perhaps the balance of the 3 year warranty.

Personally would not go near one, (and I worked in a Jaguar landrover dealership!)

Land Rover Freelander 2 - Dealer increases price after vehicle reserved - chrisjoy

Thanks for advice. What SUV would you recommend? I have £18k to spend..

Land Rover Freelander 2 - Dealer increases price after vehicle reserved - bathtub tom

There's an old Australian dictum:

If you want to go into the bush, take a Land Rover. If you want to come back, take a Toyota.

Land Rover Freelander 2 - Dealer increases price after vehicle reserved - oldroverboy.

Thanks for advice. What SUV would you recommend? I have £18k to spend..

£18K will get you aHyundai1x35/kia sportage with 5 or 7 year warranty respectively.

Land Rover Freelander 2 - Dealer increases price after vehicle reserved - Avant

As they didn't take your money, you don't have any cause of action. I agree - you've had a lucky escape. I'd suggest something Japanese or Korean.