Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Petrol Civic tourer or hybrid auris tourer - MetManMark

Evening all

We are thinking of buying a nearly new auris touring hybrid. The other car that we are considering is a petrol civic tourer. We live in Devon and do something like 10k miles a year. We tend not to do much town driving - it mostly rural B roads plus the occasional motorway trip ~1hr and a visit or two to Brittany to visit in-laws.

I like the idea of a hybrid using the energy otherwise wasted during braking but:

• Is it worth it given the we don't do that many miles / we don't do much town driving?
  • Reviews often complain about the engine noise when accelerating to join slip roads etc?
  • How would the maintenance costs compare with a regular petrol car (ie both likely repairs required and also annual servicing costs)?
  • We tend to keep our cars from nearly new till they die (currently have a 18year old saab 9-3)? how would the long term reliability compare with the civic?
  • We have two young children (2&5yrs). Both civic and auris are pretty similar in size so no major differences to consider. Over time we may end up acting as a taxi company for the children doing lots of short trips.

Our current car (normally aspirated 2L saab 9-3) isn't exactly a sports car. However, it does have enough power to get you out of trouble. Would the auris be able to do likewise or do you have to totally change your driving style?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

PS We intend to test drive both cars in the coming months but your comments in advance would be much appreciated.

Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Petrol Civic tourer or hybrid auris tourer - Avant

I think either car would suit your needs pretty well: if you find they're too small for children and luggage when you have a look at them, then include the Mazda 6 (petrol) estate in your shortlist. You're right to go for petrol power.

I think the Honda will feel livelier, but the hybrid Auris will be more economical if you do a lot of short trips. The frenetic noise acceleration on acceleration put me off the Auris hybrid, which I test-drove a few months ago, but it could suit you if you drive sedately. I like a bit of zing when needed, and it wasn't for me, but it's a good, very reliable car which suits many people.

Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Petrol Civic tourer or hybrid auris tourer - MetManMark

Hi there

Thanks for your reply. The mazda 6 is also up there on the list (in petrol format) but I think it is probably a bit too big for our needs (and the windy country lanes). I am also less convinced about Mazda reliability compared with honda / toyota.

M

Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Petrol Civic tourer or hybrid auris tourer - Auristocrat

We've had two Hondas, five Toyotas and three Mazdas from new, and had similar reliability from each.

The last Mazda, a 2007 2, we ran from September 2007 through to the end of April 2012. The only replacement parts aside from routine servicing, was a coli pack and HT lead - replaced under warranty in the first year.

Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Petrol Civic tourer or hybrid auris tourer - gordonbennet

I suspect both will be equally reliable long term if looked after well.

I think proper test drives are in order, you can't really judge the supposed noise of a hard accelerating Hybrid without hearing it for yourself on an extended test drive on the right roads, and see if you like the seamless auto function of the Toyota.

You might find the Honda needs to be revved hard to get the best performance from it when needed, so again the standard dealer test route might not show any weakenesses you will find later.

Auto Honda?

Nope - if we wernt with the honda it would be a manual. We have no real need for an auto it is just that we don't have much choice if we were to go for the hybrid...

M

Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Petrol Civic tourer or hybrid auris tourer - dodo

No way would I describe a Hybrid Auris as all that slow. I had a shock recently driving a friend's Hybrid and with petrol and electric working together it can positively fly. So much so I am considering one as a possible replacement for my much loved and reliable Alfa.

Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Petrol Civic tourer or hybrid auris tourer - ike2

Like you, I live in rural Devon and have had an Auris Sport Tourer Hybrid since December and love it. Most of my driving is A roads and country lanes as we live nearly an hour from the nearest motorway and having the CVT autobox is a joy - and one less thing to think about in narrow lanes with blind corners. Tha car is large enough for 4 adults and a dog.

Yes, I have changed the way I drive as the eco-meter helps me drive much more economically and I now concentrate on MPG rather than MPH.

I agree that the noise of the electric motor can be intrusive when pushed hard but that's mainly because the car is so quiet the rest of the time. As the electric motor deliveres instant power, as opposed to having to get up speed, it can be surprisingly quick when needed.

As for keeping the car long term - as long as you have it serviced by Toyota for the first 5 years the batteries will be covered for 10 years. Added to that you only have to look at the number of high mileage Prius' being used as taxis in large cities around the world.