Parking scrape - sarah12

I was in a car park and may have scraped a car by accident. It was pouring rain, i went outside and couldnt see anything. I let the security at the institution know when I realised having noticed scrapes on my car when I got home.

Apparently, they went directly to the police with an independent witness, but did not contact the security at the institution.

I have already accepted the claim.

Any idea what will happen now? Will I get fined? I am in no position to pay 5000 pounds worth of fine. My mistake was not reporting it directly to the police.

Thank you for your advice.

Parking scrape - FP

The police need to be involved only if damage has been caused and drivers' details were not exchanged. If your story is true and the damage was so slight you didn't notice at the time it's probably not an issue, even if it's technically an offence. If you did inform security of your details it shows a willingness to comply anyway.

The chance of your being charged with careless driving or any other motoring offence is slim.

Almost certainly it's now purely an insurance matter.

Edited by FP on 20/04/2016 at 16:27

Parking scrape - sarah12

Thanks for getting back to me. I am a new driver and not going to be needing my car anyway after this month.

I am on tenderhooks waiting to hear back but maybe it won't be such an issue in the end.

Parking scrape - RobJP

Nothing really further to add. You've not committed any offence - or at least, I really can't see the CPS ever wanting to try to persue someone through the courts who had shown a genuine attempt to contect the other party.

One question though : have you informed YOUR insurance company. Please do so, and submit full details of what happened - including the fact that the damage was very minor, and photographs of the damage to your car.

It's not unknown for someone to 'try it on' and attempt to get half the panels and a bumper on their car replaced from making out that a minor knock was far more than that.

Parking scrape - sarah12

I have reported to the insurance company but I haven't shown them pictures of my car as I wasn't going to make any claim for damages to my car as they really are minor. Should I take pictures and send them just in case?

Parking scrape - RobJP

Yes. Though make it very clear that you are not making a claim, and that these are only being sent so that the damage to the other vehicle can be assessed as being on 'the other side' of the damage on yours.

Parking scrape - scot22

Agree with all of the others. There is no reason for any further action. You acted in good faith - and in pouring rain !

Best wishes for a relatively stress free conclusion - in my experience nothing is ever totally stress free with cars !

Parking scrape - concrete

Sarah, sound advice here especially from Rob. The photographic evidence is important for the reason Rob points out. An exagerated claim may leave the other party open to prosecution themselves if there is strong evidence to disprove their claim. If they work at your institution then maybe you could speak with them and agree to settle a reasonable claim without the need to involve insurance companies. You have done the right thing here and been very responsible, so do not reproach yourself.

Good luck. Concrete

Parking scrape - oldroverboy.

Sarah, A few years back I was "scraped" by another vehicle on a roundabout and as Rob says photographic proof IS important so get it,

I had a photo of the other driver running back yo his car and the agent who was sent to see me at the scene of the accident afterwards as I resisted the claim for damages for whiplash for 3 in the van took alook at the minor scrape on my car and in his report absolved me of anything.

You did exactly the right thing in informing your insurance company.

Don't get stressed over it, nobody was hurt,

But ..... do tell us what happens.