A Ford Focus engine oil question (United Kingdom)? - graham123

Hi, are there any car mechanics who can answer this please? I've just bought a 2012 (62) 1.6 Ti-VCT (petrol) Ford Focus and have a couple of queries to ask please. In the owner's manual it says to check the engine oil level before you start the engine. It also says that if you check the oil level on the dipstick when the engine is hot then the level may exceed the maximum mark due to expansion. What do both these statements mean? Do you get an accurate reading on the dipstick if you check it just after switching the engine off - do you need to leave the car on level ground overnight or does (as my Ford mechanic tells me) all the engine oil in the "top" of the engine almost immediately drain into the sump so that you can get an accurate reading even on a hot engine. The oil is 5w 30.

Also how far (in mm) over the maximum mark on the dipstick would the oil level have to be in order to cause oil seal leaks and aeration of oil problems i.e. for the crankshaft to come into contact or be immersed in the engine oil?

Would it need to be at least 25mm or more? What symptoms would the driver notice when driving?

Thank you! :)

A Ford Focus engine oil question (United Kingdom)? - elekie&a/c doctor

Just follow what it says in the owners manual.Check oil level engine cold,on level ground.You will not go wrong.If you check level engine hot after switching off,you will get an inaccurate reading.

A Ford Focus engine oil question (United Kingdom)? - RobJP

As doc says.

In addition, a MAX mark on the dipstick I would view as it says - absolute maximum. Just as I would view MIN as an absolute minimum.

Unless you really, really know for cerain (and nobody can give you that absolute certainty) anything outside those levels has to be viewed as dangerous to the engine.

Of course, you don't have to follow that, if you like playing russian roulette ...

A Ford Focus engine oil question (United Kingdom)? - Simon
You are over thinking it. Just check the oil level on level ground, it doesn't really matter if it is hot or cold as long as it is between the minimum and maximum marks. Just make sue that it has not been run for five minutes if you check it after it has been running.
A Ford Focus engine oil question (United Kingdom)? - gordonbennet

If the oil was up to the full mark cold i'd expect it to be maybe 1 to 4mm higher when hot and drained down, certainly wouldn't expect 25mm difference.

Its all academic, so long as its around the half way mark empty you'll be fine, some people still seem to be under the impression that the low oil pressure warning light is there to let you know when it needs oil, so i reckon you're already in the top 10% of sensible car owners by actually checking, and having read the manual, hmm top 1% then..:-)

A Ford Focus engine oil question (United Kingdom)? - Peter.N.

The oil level isn't that critical that a milimeter or two will adversly affect it.

A Ford Focus engine oil question (United Kingdom)? - John F

I plan ahead and try to keep the oil at or just above the minimum in winter so the engine warms up quicker. When changing the oil, see exactly where on the dipstick an exact quantity of oil, say 3.5 litres for a small engine, is marked - after you've gently idled it to fill up the new filter. Then add more by 500mls a go to see what difference it makes. Then you'll get an idea of how much oil is left whenever you read the dipstick. Check it against the manufacturer's recommendation and never put in more!

A Ford Focus engine oil question (United Kingdom)? - skidpan

I plan ahead and try to keep the oil at or just above the minimum in winter so the engine warms up quicker.

More excellent advice from our car care guru.

Running the engine with the bare minimum or a more sensible amount of oil will make half of sod all difference to running costs so why do it. Warm oil may extend the life of the engine fractionally but if you don't thrash it the engine will be fine. Let the level drop too low and the life of the engine will be measured in minutes.

But I digress, normally JohnF claims never to change his oil so why is he posting this rubbish.

What next I wonder, he is probably plotting something this very moment.

John F is having us all on, i can just see him now checking the weather centre he has atop the oast house for the exact barometric reading to remove a whole pint of oil from the sump at the correct moment to ensure that up to a 12.593748 seconds quicker warm up is established due to less oil.

Course its entirely possible he has to add a pint a week thanks to the once every 5 or ten year oil change intervals (whether they need it or not) that his cars get treated to, resulting in daylight showing round the bores and small boys clambering up the gaps in the valve guides.

Is Duckhams still green?

Good wind ups though John, you give us all a smile..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/12/2015 at 16:00

OP in answer to the question about overfilling, if the oil is 25mm over the max mark you've overfilled it and i'd be inclined to remove a pint if twer mine.

OP in answer to the question about overfilling, if the oil is 25mm over the max mark you've overfilled it and i'd be inclined to remove a pint if twer mine.

Considering that its normally less than 25mm between max and min and that normally relates to approx a litre (in my experience on newer cars) the OP needs to get some oil out fast.

But different manufacturers have different checking methods. All the Fords we had simply said check when cold which I used to do first thing before starting the car. When we got the Kia I did the same and it was about 5 mm above the max. But before panicing, posting on a forum or ringing the dealer I did the unthinkable and read the manual. It said to check the oil warm/hot after a run leaving the car stood for bewteen 5 and 10 minutes. Did that and the level was spot on.

A Ford Focus engine oil question (United Kingdom)? - Andrew-T

Quite. And the bit about 'level ground' can be important too, depending where the dipstick enters the sump. It means level fore-and-aft and side-to-side too.

Oil takes a while to drain down after stopping the engine, and it's usually easier to see when fully cooled. If it's an inch above the MAX mark, that could cause trouble. At least it's not a diesel, which might just consume its own lubricant ....

Good wind ups though John, you give us all a smile..:-)

Not quite all, it seems!

Actually, there is some merit in my advice - car engines have to have enough oil for working flat out in a desert as well as trundling around subzero cities which is why they are overprovided. In theory they should have as little oil as possible but changed often. Big old performance engines, e.g. Merc gullwing, could be ruined because the vast oil reservoir never got hot enough.

normally JohnF claims never to change his oil so why is he posting this rubbish.

I sometimes wonder if this uncomprehending poster's first language is English. My records show that I have changed the oil and filter in my TR7 seven times since 1985, even though it has done only 32,000m since then.

I sometimes wonder if this uncomprehending poster's first language is English.

That type of comment could be considered racist, does not bother me but might bother some.

My records show that I have changed the oil and filter in my TR7 seven times since 1985, even though it has done only 32,000m since then.

I have done about 45,000 miles in my 2 Caterhams since 1989. In that time I have changed the oil/filter anually, probably that is 27 changes plus when I have carried out engine upgrades I change the oil/filter after 100 and 500 miles to ensure a) it cleans out any bedding in particles and b) allows me to bed it in on mineral oil before I go onto synthetic. That is probably another 10 changes. So at least 37 changes in 26 years.

In those years I have only had one engine problem which was caused by a sticking oil pressure relief valve. It was probably a manufacturing fault in a pattern part (not a cheap one) but impossible to prove.

My steel Ford x-flow was revved to 8,400 regularly and never gave any problems.

Will continue to carry out annnual changes as long as I have the car. At about £25 for oil and filter why would you want to skimp.

Despite the low mileage I also change Zetec cam belts at the Ford recomended interval of 10 years. Far cheaper than a new engine.

Hope you understand that Mr JohnF.