jaguar xtype - can i ask for money back - holdinfoldin

jaguar x type owned since september 1st. on starting this morning there is a knocking sound which goes away when clutch depressed and comes back when clutch released, can someone tell me what this is. the car was purchased from a dealer and within 2 days the car was going into limp mode it went back to the dealer who apparently fixed it with a part of another jaguar returned after 3 days. the car was fine for roughly 7 weeks when it went into limp mode again at the same time starter was found to be faulty the dealer took the car back and replaced the turbo under warranty but charged us for the starter motor and labour they had the car for 4 weeks as they said there was a problem getting turbo fixed on warranty. eventually came back last wednesday all was fine (although hardly driven until yesterday) until this morning at 6.30 when the new noise occured. so 2 questions dod you think it's the clutch and does anybody have any idea where i stand legally ie can i ask for refund as since september 1st the car has been off the road for 33 days out of 98, no loan car offered also the car when we did have it was not used on a daily basis has my son sometimes has access to works van. any help greatly appreciated and sorry for long winded post.

jaguar xtype - can i ask for money back - 72 dudes

I seriously doubt whether you will have any legal recourse on this. It's more than 3 months since you bought the car and it sounds as if the dealer has been reasonably helpful up until now.

The symptoms you describe sound like the dual mass flywheel (DMF) has failed. This is one of the hazards of buying an older diesel model (possibly with high mileage?).

It comes under the headings of "wear and tear" and "bad luck". It's not a cheap fix either and the water pump should usually be changed at the same time.

Sorry that I cannot be more positive.