Yaris antiroll bar bushes - SteveH42
How long should antiroll bar bushes be expected to last? I had the car in the National Tyres last weekend as I thought I had a problem which turned out to be just a trapped stone rubbing on the brake disc. However, while inspecting it, the chap noticed that both the bushes were perished and would need replacing fairly soon. I observed this myself and they did indeed look in bad condition, plus as he was just advising, not trying to get the work, I'm more inclined to take his advice.

The car is under 3 years old, so would I have any luck getting this done under the warranty? (Not had the chance to get in to the dealer to have them check it out, but would be handy to know where I stand roughly) Otherwise, is it likely I'll have to get them done every 3 years or so? He did reckon they'd be a fairly cheap job, but would also potentially constitute an MOT failure.

I'm beginning to suspect my lemon-seeking talents have struck again here... I'm sure the Yaris is a good car, I just seem to attract cars that develop lots of little niggles.
Yaris antiroll bar bushes - Marcos{P}
My old Merc had the steering bushes changed on about 40,000 mls and so did the one before that so I don't think it's unreasonable to have them changed on a car under 3 yrs old.

Mind you I drive like an animal and I am forever in London doing quick u-turns when I miss the road I want.
I should have mentioned that it's only done 27k miles. While I've only done 4k of them, I like to think I try and drive with some mechanical sympathy, but of course I don't know about the previous owner.

The other rubber seems OK - CV boots etc, just these bushes. Probably being paranoid here, but I did notice an occasional clunking (which the NT mechanic said I might) after I'd had it in to the dealer to have the trim fixed that I don't recall noticing before...
Yaris antiroll bar bushes - M.M
Steve,

I have to admit not knowing exactly the type of bushes the Yaris has but makers seem to get these wrong from time to time.

On a Citroen ZX I have at the moment the front wishbone bushes were needed at about 32K for the cars first MOT (at three years old).

The replacement bushes are still on it after a further 82K and another 7 years.

I've had anti-roll bushes failing at 14K on a Renault and 25K on a Nissan.

It can be very variable.

MM
Thanks, Middleman. Were any of these done as warranty repairs, or do they just come under wear and tear? If I'm going to have to pay then I might as well wait until they need doing.
Yaris antiroll bar bushes - M.M
No, all these cars were on the older 12mth warranty and they failed outside that period.

MM
Yaris antiroll bar bushes - Dave_TD
I've had anti-roll bushes failing at 14K on a Renault and
25K on a Nissan.

Just to add, I had my first one go at 132,000 miles on the Skoda...
A quick follow-up to this, and more praise for Toyota dealers.

They couldn't find a definite problem, but offered to change the bushes anyway (under the warranty) for my piece of mind. Took the car in, went to pick it up and found they'd change the shock absorber as well 'just to be sure!'

It's amazing they were prepared to do this much just because I thought I had a problem... Makes you not mind paying that little bit extra for dealer services when you get this level of service back.