Volvo V50. 05 plate - Anti skid message brake failure, immobilser activa - rwilson
Hi wonder if anyone can help. Yesterday whilst driving anti skid warning light came on followed by brake failure warning. Car then went into limp mode before immobilser was activated. After ten min I could start car again. This has happened several times in last couple of days with window wipers also switching on by themselves and not turning off! And indicators not working, all wile the brake messages and limp mode activated. The day before yesterday my car failed its mot and had the following work done.
Rear brakes cleaned and adjusted,
n/s/f coil spring supplied and fitted.
Rear number plate bulb

Do you think the two are related or is it just a coincidence that this has happened now? I did drive my car this afternoon back to the the garage, they hooked it up to diagnostic machine and said there were lots of communication fault codes which they have reset. I was told if problem persisted to try and take car back to them ASAP so they would' have less codes to read and might be able to narrow fault down. Tonight have driven for five mins and same problem occurred. Have driven car to garage and left outside for them to have a look at tomorrow. Would like heads up though if anyone thinks the work to vehicle and problems i am now experiencing are connected or just a co-incidence.I know from reading some websites this kind of problem is often attributed to CEM. Would like to explore all other possibilities first as I only had new ecu 5 months ago!!! Should say when I was at garage today they checked battery for load etc and alternator all appeared ok. Would welcome any advice

Many thanks

Rachel
Volvo V50. 05 plate - Anti skid message brake failure, immobilser activa - S40 Man

I had s40 that had similar problems (on numerous occasions). In the end I got a bbr ppc code reader which was fantastic. Clearing the error codes sorted out most problems without need to visit garage. A Volvo specific reader or even a generic one may pay for itself in just one use.

Depends if there is a real fault out our it's just electrics playing up. My car seemed too clever for its own good sometimes.

Volvo V50. 05 plate - Anti skid message brake failure, immobilser activa - rwilson
Thank you for reply. Car has been in local garage today still waiting for a response. They did plug it into machine yesterday which revealed some codes. Mechanic was able to reset these but problem still occurred last night. Am keeping fingers crossed it is not ecu, hopefully some sort of power surge that can be resolved without huge financial cost. Am gutted because have had nothing but problems with this car. Was in and out of main delaer garage for almost six months with a previous problem that took ages to diagnose, cost me a fortune. Would never buy another Volvo.
Volvo V50. 05 plate - Anti skid message brake failure, immobilser activa - elekie&a/c doctor
A lot of the electronics on these are lifted from the Ford Focus,so the first place to check would be the connections to the cem and for any water ingress to it.
Many thanks, will let you know how I get on with garage. Will make sure connections and fuses are checked
Volvo V50. 05 plate - Anti skid message brake failure, immobilser activa - S40 Man

Another way to try and tackle this is removing battery neg lead. Then with a big screw driver connect to battery +ve terminal. The aa did this to my s40 and that also apparently resets the system. Did you try Volvo forum they can be a good source of info.