VW Golf - Adaptive cruise control - daveyjp
Does anyone know if this system can be activated and left operational so the car accelerates on its own in heavy traffic? If it can its going to lead to frustration.

I was on the M1 at rush hour last night behind a newish Golf. It was heavy traffic with typical stop, slow moving, accelerate, slow, stop traffic, never reaching more than about 20mph. Sort of traffic where it is possible to almost leave the car in gear on tickover so it moves slowly in the queue.

I was keeping a couple of car lengths behind the Golf, the queue started moving, the car in front of the Golf moved off, the Golf didn't move until the car in front was a good few car lengths in front, Golf accelerated, then when it was about 5 car lengths from the car in front of it the car simply slammed on the brakes and stopped leaving a huge gap. Car in front moved off, because of the huge gap Golf moved off almost immediately, car in front slowed, Golf slammed on and stopped leaving a huge gap again. Of course every time a car stops it lengthens the queue behind.

This happened half a dozen times, leaving me wondering if ACC was on causing this pattern of go and slam on. Whatever it was a less alert driver will end up in ghe back of this Golf before too long.

VW Golf - Adaptive cruise control - focussed

It was exactly like that in the 1980's when I was commuting M1 J13 to J5 and back most days that I wasn't travelling the UK.

AFAIK active cruise control wasn't available then.

VW Golf - Adaptive cruise control - xtrailman

I believe most CC systems dont work below 20mph, certainly the Mazda doesnt cutting out at 19mph even with radar CC, but i don't think its as good as the Vag system which i'm told is really good.

VW Golf - Adaptive cruise control - daveyjp

It appears the VW system operates as soon as the car is moving. Beware if following any of their vehicles in queues. Maybe this is why collision avoidance braking is now deemed necessary on so many new cars!