BMW 5 Series - BMW F11 Touring: Air Suspension - Wasabi
Hi all, my car is 2011 f11 525d. Purchased used about 9 months ago. Just occasionally (maybe 5 occasions in that time) I hear a faint noise like an air compressor from behind rear near side bumper.I hear it after driving if I'm stood at the rear of the car. It usually occurs for 10-20 seconds and ends with a hiss like a release valve (my guess). I take this to be the rear suspension doing its 'thing' (sorry for the non-technical post).

Question is this: Is it normal? Car is out of its BMW warranty soon so if it's a sign of a problem I'd prefer to deal with it sooner rather than later. I note HJ lists a couple of air suspension failures on cars of a similar vintage. Ownership has otherwise been uneventful. Anyone else got an f11 that does this? I will take it to dealer if necessary, just don't want to waste my ( and dealer's ) time. Thanks so much
BMW 5 Series - BMW F11 Touring: Air Suspension - RobJP

Firstly, check out extending the warranty. BMW do their own, which will (probably) be the most expensive, but (hopefully) offer the best cover and the least grief if making a claim. HJ recommends Warranty Direct, which are also very reputable. There are a lot of other warranty providers out there too, though some of them have a less than stellar reputation. when it comes to claims.

As to your question : I believe that is where the compressor is located, so it might be the compressor, and it might be a sign of an impending problem. Not very helpful, I know. I'd suggest booking it into the dealer, and getting their verdict on it - IN WRITING. Nothing worse than them saying it's supposed to sound like that, having nothing in writing, and then it failing a few weeks after the warranty runs out.

Finally : What do you think of the F11 ? I'm running a 325d touring (F31), and have been very impressed with it over the last 2 years, but as I get a bit older I do miss the sheer comfort levels of my 'old' E61 5-series that I used to have.

BMW 5 Series - BMW F11 Touring: Air Suspension - slkfanboy

Sound normal to me, if it was every day then you may have a leak.

BMW 5 Series - BMW F11 Touring: Air Suspension - Wasabi
Thanks guys. Robjp, I really rate the F10-F11 but I am a BMW fan so not exactly objective I guess. It's big, well made, quiet. It's also heavy which I appreiacte as I use it for towing. This is my second F11. Although I've got a 6 cylinder 525 now I had before a 520d which was -honestly- a better car. Powerful and astonishingly economical but it just didn't have the character of the smooth 6 which is why I chose a 525 this time. Frivolous I know. Downside is easily the ride quality, made worse by stupid large wheels and run flats. If you're buying new choose sensible wheels and delete the sport suspension. I read that the variable dampers improve ride significantly but I've not experienced it myself. Anyway yes I recommend highly
BMW 5 Series - BMW F11 Touring: Air Suspension - RobJP

I'll confess to being a BMW fan too. Though I do think they dropped the ball a few years ago in extended servicing intervals. However, I can also appreciate why they (and others) did it, in reducing fleet/lease costs. But that's another matter entirely

Ahh. Has your 525d got a 6-pot then ? The current 325d (and I believe 525d) are twin-turbo 2.0 diesel 4 cylinder engines. I guess they must have changed that since yours was made.

My 325d is the MSport model, and does have the stupid 19" wheels. However, it also has adaptive suspension, which makes a huge difference in ride comfort and a complete lack of tram-lining. So much so that it's better than my old SE car which was on 17" rims.

I always liked that de-tuned 325/525 3.0-litre engine, and have been highly tempted on a few occasions ...

EDIT : just looked it up. For tourings, 525d 3.0 (206hp) engine from October 2010. Replaced by 525d with twin-turbo 2.0 (218hp) from July 2011.

Edited by RobJP on 01/10/2015 at 17:09