Mazda 3 / Skoda Octavia / new Suzuki Vitara - New car - hatchback/new family - Pantagana

Hello everyone!

First of all, let me introduce myself.

31 year old elec. engineer from Croatia, have a small 1 year old, and the old car (2004 Mazda 3) is ready for replacement.

Been following HonestJohn site for some time now, mainly because of the good/bad section on car reviews. Basically all data you need to know when looking at a certain car.

I've been looking at a number of cars, as one of the new criteria is that the car has to swallow baby seat, and both parts of the stroller in the trunk. Consumption does not get the final say, but important also. The last 3 still in the game are the following:

Mazda 3 sedan 2.0 petrol, 120HP:

+: killer looks, japanese made (my old one has 205000 km without a fault), big boot

-: not a lot of space on the back seat (wonder if I could fit a 0 group baby seat there, as it takes a lot of space), trunk opening as bad as on my current Mazda

Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDI, 105 HP:

+: a lot of space on back seats, trunk opening can swallow an Airbus inside, excellent fuel consumption

-: average/pensioner look, high price here in Croatia (22500€, whereas Mazda comes to 19500 in the similar spec level)

New Suzuki Vitara, 1.6 VVT petrol, 120 HP:

+: cool crossover looks, nicely equipped for the price, gives same amount of space in back seats as Mazda, 375L trunk seems as it could just fit both stroller parts, has cam chain

-: fit and finish (the door just doesn't want to clap when you gently try to close, completely unimpressed by that), price for diesel version goes sky high (21500€, unacceptable for a smaller car with this fit and finish), 1,6 petrol says 5,3L/100km (53 mpg), tests give 7,5L/100km (37 mpg)

Further to consumption, Mazda has 5,1L/100km (55 mpg) on highway test at 100km/h, and 7,0 (40) at 130 km/h, which is, for a 2.0 petrol, excellent. Skoda excells here and gives 4.8L/100 km (58 mpg) average on 130 km/h highway test.

Which one would You choose ? Why? Please elaborate.

Maybe some other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for Your advices.

Regards,

Mazda 3 / Skoda Octavia / new Suzuki Vitara - New car - hatchback/new family - Oli rag

Unless you drive more than 20,000km a year, it's generally best to avoid diesels. The Mazda 3 gets good reviews, but is a very different type of car from the Vitara.

I think you should really decide whether you want a crossover or a conventional saloon, then the choice may be an easier one to make.

Edited by Oli rag on 27/09/2015 at 09:25

Mazda 3 / Skoda Octavia / new Suzuki Vitara - New car - hatchback/new family - Pantagana

I actually like both.

My deiciding point would be if I could fit a rear facing baby seat in the back. In my old Mazda, the Peg Perego infant, rear facing, car seat would barely fit on passenger seat, and You would have to push it so far forward, that it would be unusable for anyone to seat (comparing the new 3 with my current one, they have the same amount of space in the back, the new one seems to have a bit less space?.

If I could get some owners of the new 3 with rear facing baby seats comment, it would be great.

Mazda 3 / Skoda Octavia / new Suzuki Vitara - New car - hatchback/new family - balleballe

Some reports suggest that VW's 1.6 diesel engine is implicated in their emissions scam - so until we know for sure, id avoid that

I would favour the mazda 3 simply because it looks and handles much better. I had a mazda 6, then a mazda 3 but have recently moved to Honda due to Mazda's inability to make a decent diesel

Mazda 3 / Skoda Octavia / new Suzuki Vitara - New car - hatchback/new family - Avant

It's amazing how much space babies need in a car!

I'd suggest the Octavia but with the 1.4 TSI petrol engine - lots of room in both back seat and boot, and doe sit really matter what it looks like? Also available as an estate.

If you like Mazdas, also look at the new CX-3 (2.0 petrol).