dvla revoke licence revoked any advice please! - jacquilearmonth

Hi, just wondering if anyone has had this experience or similar.

I've had mental health probs for over 20 years, finally diagnosed in April so tell dvla & they say ok to keep driving if psyciatrist says so, & he said absolutely fine so have been driving since. Got letter yesterday saying my licence now revoked, gp & psyciatrist completely baffled as both told dvla fine to drive. I have been driving 22 years I have never had an accident, never any penalties, driven thousands of miles.

I need my car, I have young chldren & live in the countryside- dont even have a bus route nearby. My dad also very ill with cancer & until now making regular 300 mile round trips to see him, he is devastated as it will now be very difficult getting there. This will take months to sort, months I fear he doesnt have.

Dvla wont discuss it with me, they say doctor can write in to explain if they think decision wrong or if maybe ticked wrong box.

The annoying thing is, dvla told me, even if a mistake has been made I still have to send in my licence, get doctor to write to them, they will write to me & I have to reapply- they said can take months. Its really unfair that you have to go through all that if it is a mistake.

Has anyone any experience anything similar, any tips on how I can move things faster, as I say the people that deal with my condition are really baffled by this outcome as they have no concern at all with me continuing driving.

Wishing I hadnt been honest now: (

dvla revoke licence revoked any advice please! - RT

A friend of mine had similar issues when out of the blue DVLA revoked his licence and wouldn't tell him why - neither his GP or Cardiac Consultant had given any adverse information and supported his ability to drive. It took him nearly a year to get his licence back.

I'd suggest you need to register your appeal against DVLA's decision and get letters from both your GP and any consultants involved, use their secretaries to progress/expedite things - don't rely on routine appointments to sort it out - and then make formal application for reinstatement of your licence, using the letters as supporting evidence.

Try the website Pepipoo, they're very good - it's not their normal sort of case but they may have helped someone similar before.

dvla revoke licence revoked any advice please! - Dwight Van Driver

It would seem your position is outlined here:

www.motordefencelawyers.co.uk/motoring-offences/me.../

Have you anything in black and white that DVLA have said you are OK to drive other than perhaps a letter to say that until such time as they have assessed your position drive on. Once making a decision to revoke then they inform you of the fact and you no longer can drive until the outcome of their medical investigation.

Rules and regulations unfortunately

dvd

Thanks for the advice, I'll give the Pepipoo website a look & also start getting letters together. Worryng how long things take though even when no good reason for loss of licence.

dvla revoke licence revoked any advice please! - jc2

Get your MP involved-his queries get priority at the DVLA.

I was wondering if that was worth a try, so did speak to office & they say if I get letter from gp saying I am perfectly safe driving/ they have no concerns then they can help take it up with the dvla for me. Think that looks slightly more hopeful as dvla not helpful at all.

Do you know if an mp has helped anyone with dvla & if it was helpful speeding things up a bit? Thanks

As posted earlier, involving your MP gets answers quicker from DVLA.

dvla revoke licence revoked any advice please! - Smileyman

sorry to read about this, it's very bad indeed, it's time the medical profession had a log on portal to submit reports etc to DVLA - online submission of driving history works well when getting insurance quotes

Yes that would be a good idea. Prob be less errors too.

DVLA is awful, the staff are unhelpful, everything is so slow, you really get the feeling they couldnt care less. Getting new letter from doc & psychiatrist to reiterate what the DVLA has been told already, I am fit to drive. MP office going to try to mave things faster for us, fingers crossed.

dvla revoke licence revoked any advice please! - skidpan

The DVLA can only go on the information given to them. The medical profession will have provided only facts, they will not have given any personal opinion. The DVLA use the facts provided (taking professional advice when needed) to make a decision. They are probably very cautious since a wrong decision could be dangerous (or even fatal), a mentally unstable person in charge of a car is just as dangerous as a mentally unstable person with a gun, probably more so since cars are easier obtain and are not illegal to own.

All you can do is appeal. The DVLA have their own doctors who can be used for assessments plus they have driver assessment centres around the country where professionals are able to actually meet the driver and make recomendations.

But one thing you must not do until this is sorted one way or the other is to drive. You would be comitting a serious offence and have no insurance. The fines would be prohibitive should you be caught and if you were involved in an accident a custodial sentance would be a possibility.

dvla revoke licence revoked any advice please! - Dwight Van Driver

I think you will find Skidpan that the posters Insurance will include the clause

"cover providing driver/PH holds or HAS HELD a driving Licence"

as such a revoked Licence does not nullify Insurance. Section 148 RTA 88 will also cover medical condition.

But sound advise not to drive until sorted otherwise car will finish up on back of a recovery vehicle and forthwith to the Pound leading to fine and three fiqure release fee plus storage costs to get out of said Pound.

dvd

dvla revoke licence revoked any advice please! - skidpan

When my dad had his licence revoked last year he was clearly informed of the implications of continuing to drive. Whilst I agree that the clause mentioned will be present it only relates to the insurers covering damage to the 3rd party. They will not cover damage to the "insurred's" car since the T & C's i.e. informing them of a change of circumstances have not been complied with. This will give them an instant get out of jail free card on the insureds car.

dvla revoke licence revoked any advice please! - oldroverboy.

DVLA is awful, the staff are unhelpful, everything is so slow, you really get the feeling they couldnt care less. Getting new letter from doc & psychiatrist to reiterate what the DVLA has been told already, I am fit to drive. MP office going to try to mave things faster for us, fingers crossed.

I take issue with this. I have always found DVLA staff to be as helpful as possible when I have had contact with them.

When I returned from switzerland having lived outside the uk for many years they guided me towards getting my licence confirmed by the swiss authorities.

Just at that time i fainted on a particularly hot summer day after going to cool off in a shower and was hospitalised after the sudden loss of consciousness.

They told me what to do and how to do it and I saw my GP, had a full medical and the incident was recorded as a single transient occurence.

It took a few weeks and I was told that once they were satisfied i would be informed of the decision. In fact my licence arrived in the post a week or so later.

I have had dealings with them regarding mislaying documents, and queries about vehicle transfers and most recently the new keeper document (log book) as i had changed my car a couple of days after changing my insurance company and needed to "prove" the vehicle was indeed registered to me.

DVLA are now seriously understaffed due to staff cuts and the extra millions of drivers and the removal?integration of the Northern Ireland office as well as the closure of the local centres.

I am sorry that the OP is distressed, but a little patience and I am sure all will be well.

Yes we love to hate DVLA, but in my humble opinion, they generally get it right.

I am sorry that the OP is distressed, but a little patience and I am sure all will be well.

Yes we love to hate DVLA, but in my humble opinion, they generally get it right.

When your licence has been revoked for no obvious reason and is likely to take months to put right at a time of personal distress for the OP, it's a bit much to suggest patience.

Sorry RT, but DVLA appear to have a valid reason (for them), which may well be appealed in a satisfactory way.

Perhaps I could have said, "don;t get stressed over it" but I recognise that the OP is already stressed.

As I said, they generally get it right in the end, and I will add that the way that the OP deals with the appeals process CAN effect the outcome.

Not a lot of good saying it now, but patience and calm.

I hope nobody has to go through this, but the best way to get a result is to follow the appeals procedures, using your GP, (and remember you have a right to see the letter that your GP submits).

Hopefully the MP can help, but nothing is instant, and DVLA do have a duty to get their facts right.

Remember a certain dustbin driver anyone?

Edited by oldroverboy. on 21/09/2015 at 18:09

www.motordefencelawyers.co.uk/motoring-news/things.../

Interesting rfeading too!