Peugeot 407 SW - 1.6HDi No Power, Black Smoke - Nelix

Hi

I have the above vehicle and am having a few issues, here is the story:

I bought the car as a non runner, after towing the vehicle home I put a new battery on it and it started first time!!!! However when driving it had no power under 2500-3000 revs. After a few days of driving it lost all power and would not rev over 2000-2500 rpm, it did not even have enough power to pull away on a fairly flat road, I also got the "anti pollution fault" message.

I plugged the diag machine in (Peugeot Planet) and it informed me that the DPF was blocked. I also suspected the Turbo was at fault, so as money is tight at the moment I replaced the turbo cartridge/CHRA, while I had the car in bits I removed the DPF and gave it a good clean with a pressure washer and Mr Muscle oven cleaner. After putting the car back together it still has no power, still won't rev over 2000 (occasionally revs to 3000-3300 when warm) and lots of black smoke. I managed to get it out of the yard and it won't go over 10mph.

As there is black smoke I am assuming it's air flow related, live data informs me that the air-flow figure is about 20% down on what it should be so I removed all of the Air Flow system including the inlet manifold and thoroly cleaned it all and replaced the rubber seals where it go's into the cam cover.......... started the engine and still the same.

The EGR vavle had been blanked off so I removed the blanking plate but this did nothing to solve the issue, if anything the air flow is registering upto 50% expected.

Does anyone have ant clues as to what I could try next?

Kind Regards

Nelix

Peugeot 407 SW - 1.6HDi No Power, Black Smoke - RobJP

while I had the car in bits I removed the DPF and gave it a good clean with a pressure washer and Mr Muscle oven cleaner.

And what makes you think that will clean a DPF properly ?

Think of a DPF as being something like a book, 1000 pages thick. All the pages have lots of holes in, which, over time, get clogged up with particles. When most of them are blocked, the DPF is clogged up.

DPFs can be cleaned, but it involves blasting VERY high temperature air through them for several hours.

I'd suggest that your method might just clean the outer layer of the DPF, but is going to do nothing for the innards. In other words, you've cleaned the first and last pages, and done nothing to the 998 in between.

When the DPF was blocked it showed in the diag software, high differential pressure. The differential pressure now is showing as being within acceptable range.

Peugeot 407 SW - 1.6HDi No Power, Black Smoke - hardway

That just the pressure differential measured across the DPF,

Not the exhaust pipe pressure itself,

could be it's blocked all the way back,

'course the easy test for that is remove the exhaust and test run it.

But I'm curious,

What's PP live data for the rail pressure when all this is happening?

Black smoke "could" be air related or could be excess fuel rail pressure which would account not just for black smoke which would be in efect "flooding" the cylinders which would then flood the DPF which would then clogg up which would then............

You can see where I'm going with this...........

back to where you started.

Idle speed rail pressure is around 200 bar if I remeber right.

What's yours reading?

Thanks for responding

Fuel pressures are as follows:

At Idle:

Measured - fluctuates between 314 & 329, Desired Pressure is 322

At 3000 revs

Measured - 1122, Desired 1122

I removed the CAT and DPF and the engine still doe's not rev.

I have checked all the turbo pipes and they show no sign of wear and tear i.e. cracks/splits. I'm going to remove the pipe before the intercooler and see if that makes a difference, slim chance the intercooler is blocked/restricting airflow, worth a try I suppose but it will have to wait until I get home from work.

Thanks again everyone.

Peugeot 407 SW - 1.6HDi No Power, Black Smoke - old-school-tech

These are notorious for DPF issues, however........Excessive black smoke?

I would do an injector leak off test, sounds like one of your injectors may be knackered, if this is the case then 2 things will happen, the rail pressure will drop causing the vehicle to go into a limp mode, and secondly the excessive black smoke will just block the DPF again.

As much as DPF's are a PITA there is usually a reason why they block up.