Volkswagen Golf - 4K Budget, Large family car required. Passat, BMW? - medicpaul

So we are swapping cars again, as the title suggests we have 4k to play with. Need something of a good size while maintaining decent MPG and prefererably a little performance.
I dont mind the VW passat B6 but have read the numerous problems with the engines in the 2L PD variant. My sister has the 2L lump in her car and she has yet to have any issues.
I'm also considering the E60 530D, I have a near mint one near me however I'm concerned of the high maintanance cost.
Does any one have any suggestions or input to the above models?

Volkswagen Golf - 4K Budget, Large family car required. Passat, BMW? - Happy Blue!

You are buying on a budget and think a BMW is a sensible option!

Large and reliable (or cheap to repair) family car on a budget = Mondeo. Very reliable, spacious and comfortable. Decent TDCi engine, cheap parts and lots to choose from.

Volkswagen Golf - 4K Budget, Large family car required. Passat, BMW? - balleballe

I would buy a Japanese brand as you ony have 4k to spend so:

1) You will get more car for your money

2) You will likely get a more reliable car

The Honda accord fits the bill with its 2.2 CDTI engine. Just be sure to get one from 2006 or after.

Volkswagen Golf - 4K Budget, Large family car required. Passat, BMW? - Avant

With £4k to spend, a diesel is too much of a gamble: what you might save in fuel can so easily be wiped out by an expensive engine failure).

I'd go for a Mondeo 2.0 petrol (lots to choose from) or a Toyota Avensis, Honda Accord or Mazda 6 (all very reliable with petrol engines).

Volkswagen Golf - 4K Budget, Large family car required. Passat, BMW? - slkfanboy

The Passat as not has engine and reports of rust problems too and I would not consider a golf a large car. E60 verses 530D well the 530D is most likely cheaper to own.

Volkswagen Golf - 4K Budget, Large family car required. Passat, BMW? - SteveLee

Buy a Passat and you're spending half your budget on a badge - the rest goes on the flaky unreliable car.

Buy a Ford Mondeo - a fantastic car in every respect, ride, handling, reliability, refinement, standard kit, running costs and best of all - value.

Volkswagen Golf - 4K Budget, Large family car required. Passat, BMW? - Engineer Andy

What annual mileage will the car do? Diesels are really only worth it (even on second-hand cars) if you do at least 20,000 miles, maybe even 25,000+ to cover the extra purchase/service cost and potentially (especially with second-hand models where you don't know exactly its driving history [e.g. if for part of its life it was used on short journeys]) much higher costs associated with component failures.

As has been said, for older used cars, forget the badge and go for reliability and at least reasonable running costs (note that 'premium' [i.e. German or little-known foreign makes who have high-cost imported parts] also cost much higher to insure as well as service/maintain than other 'mainstream' makes) as well as the driving abilities of the car you choose. Also, for the same reasons, go for cars with less electronic gizmos - they have the potential to be expensive (out-of-warranty) failures, so if you don't need them, look at a lower-spec model (it'll obviously cost less to buy as well).

Best of luck.

Volkswagen Golf - 4K Budget, Large family car required. Passat, BMW? - RobJP

As has been said by others, really : if you buy a 'premium' brand, then a fair bit of your money is being spent on the badge. Probably not the wisest move when you're on a limited budget.