Peugeot 206 - Labour costs - BeeMar

My girlfriend had a clutch failure last year and a new 3 part clutch pack was installed on the car on 25 May 2014. Fast forward a little over 13 months and she suffered a breakdown on her way home from work. The clutch pedal went straight to the floor as she stopped to give way at a roundabout. Her car had to be towed by the AA who diagnosed a failure of the clutch master cylinder. This was confirmed by a garage (a different to the one which installed the new clutch 13 months earlier). The second garage replaced the clutch master cylinder but, have reported a noise from the clutch which they are saying is a failing clutch release bearing - they state it will fail within the next 3 to 6 months.

With the clutch release bearing being one of the 3 parts in the 3 part clutch pack which was replaced 13 months earlier, we are obviously somewhat confused. My girlfriend does not ride the clutch pedal and we would obviously expect a new clutch to last more than 13 months! With this in mind, we contacted the original garage who also say it should last a lot longer but, they are stating that the clutch itself has a 2 year warranty on it but, only 12 months labour. They therefore are saying they will have a look at the car and replace the 3 part clutch pack with a new one if they agree with the assessment of a failing clutch release bearing but, they say that:

1. we will have to pay for the replacement part(s) and the labour to have the part(s) replaced;
2. they will send the failed part(s) to the manufacturer for investigation;
3. if the manufacturer finds a defect, we will be refunded the cost of the part(s) but, not any labour costs.

As I'm sure the more engineer-minded of you will know, the cost of the clutch kit is less than £100 but, the labour is getting on for 3 times this. Do we have any options here about getting the original garage or the part manufacturer to cover the labour costs? It seems so wrong to have a part replaced (paying for the part and labour) and then having to pay the labour a second time 13 months later because we were supplied with a faulty part!

Peugeot 206 - Labour costs - skidpan

If its only the bearing that is failing why would you want all 3 parts replacing on a nearly new clutch?

As for the T & C's check the small, only you have that.

But I would also be asking do the garage who replaced the master cylinder have a vested interest in trying to get more work out of you without knowing its recently been replaced.

If it were me I would just drive it, if it fails within 2 years get it sorted, they cannot argue about a defect if its dead. If its keeps going simply enjoy and if its fails get it fixed.

But a clutch kit for less than £100 does sound rather cheap. Paid almost that 20 years ago for parts.

Peugeot 206 - Labour costs - slkfanboy

There is more than one bearing within a clutch assembly and often due to cost only one is replaced. Hence it's quite likely other bearings will go later.

Agree £100 is very cheap!

Peugeot 206 - Labour costs - Palcouk

Depending on exact model labour is between 3-6 hours

And whether if a part has failed it would depend on who the parts supplier is as to whether they also refund the labour element.

Any decent supplier would refund labour costs to the repair shop, the repair shops I deal with, on the odd ocasions this has happened, do refund the labour costs to the repair shop

Peugeot 206 - Labour costs - martint123

You have a reported clutch noise - that was not noticed by yourselves.

Before spending time (=money) opening it all back up again, I'd get a second or third opinion.

AFAIK a failed release bearing is a non-terminal failure - in that the noise gets irritating but gives plenty of warning before leaving you stranded.