Peugeot 308 - Wide range of rear tyre pressures - Magellan

Hello,

I have a new-style 308 bought just over a year ago, a 1.2 Active 130 hp hatchback with 205R55-16 tyres.

The rear tyre pressure is given as 2.3 bar (33 psi) minimum (presumably driver only) and 3.3 bar (48 psi) fully laden, which seems a massive variation to me. My previous car, a 406 Coupé, specified 35 psi all round regardless of load!

My question is, whether there is any sensible compromise. Until a couple of weeks ago, I had been running the car on unladen pressures, 2.4 bar all round. However, I then had to drive from Hampshire up to Edinburgh and back - going on my own and returning with brother, wife and a bootful of thier luggage. Not wishing to faff around changing pressures en route, I compromised and left the front tyres at 35 psi, and increased the rears to 40 psi.

At present I have not reduced the pressures and the car seems to ride and handle very well. It also seems to be benefitting mpg.

I am aware that some Vauxhalls suggest higher "eco" tyre pressures.

Are there any downsides?

I asked the Goodyear helpline (the original equipment tyres are Goodyear EfficientGrip) but they had no advice, referring me to the car manufacturer. Peugeot in turn do not answer technical queries on their helpline, referring me to the dealer... All the dealer has to offer is the published information.

Since one is often alone in the car, but rarely fully laden, and frequently with apart load that can be anywahere between these two extremes - does anyone have a practical solution to cover most normal use without endlessly changing tyre pressures?

I would be very surprised if anyone does!

Peugeot 308 - Wide range of rear tyre pressures - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

The Ford Fiesta has a similar wide range of tyre pressure from 31 to 41 psi depending on load (195/50 R15). However, having experimented, I find that if I pump the back tyres up to 40psi, then with driver only, it becomes quite unstable on sharp bends. I usually run at 35psi all round and if I do carry passengers, it's usually just for a few miles.

Peugeot 308 - Wide range of rear tyre pressures - gordonbennet

48psi sounds horrendous to me on a normal car, thats large van territory on reinforced tyres, i'd be most reluctant to inflate normal tyres on my cars up to that figure, the 40psi you inflated them to for your laden journey sounds sensible.

The eco argument has a downside, its eco because you've increased the pressure and reduced the tyre footprint, not something i'm keen on.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/06/2015 at 20:32

Peugeot 308 - Wide range of rear tyre pressures - Peter.N.

Personally I have found that tyre pressures have little effect on economy unless of course they are very soft.I always ran my XM td estate tyres a few pounds under pressure as it improved the ride but still managed over 50mpg on a long journey driving sympathetically and got about 25-30k miles from the front tyres.

Peugeot 308 - Wide range of rear tyre pressures - Magellan

Thanks to all who replied, it is helpful to know that others share similar views.

For the record, the maximum rated pressure for my tyres (moulded into the sidewall) is 3.5 bar / 51 psi. Although the maximum laden pressure of 48 psi is within this limit, I would not be happy going as high as that.

I too have settled on 35 psi all round for general use, and would probably pump the rears up to 40 psi again for any long trips at motorway speeds with passengers and/or a full boot.

As an aside I'm quite pleased with the Goodyear EfficientGrip factory-fit tyres, especially as regards road noise, a major bugbear of mine, certainly in this country.