car insurance issues with having prev cancellation - carscarscars!

Hi there

So I am needing to buy a new car ASAP as I am leaving a salary sacrifice scheme through the NHS due to moving onto another job. I have decided to hand back this car as it is not financially viable to buy out right.

Previous to this I unfortunately wrote off my previous car in 2012 therefore my insurance policy was cancelled. (My fault, other driver made personal injury claim as well their car being written off this was all was settled ok).

I have been doing some searches for quotes and I have noticed some companies do not like the above scenario.

Any suggestions as to finding the cheapest possible quotes in view of this?

car insurance issues with having prev cancellation - Galaxy

As with any insurance where the policyholder has had problems in the past, you would probably be better off going through a broker who you can explain everything to.

However, do be prepared, because I believe most insurance companies aren't particularly going to like your scenario! Two cars written off and a personal injury claim against you are hardly a good recommendation, I'm afraid.

Yes fullly aware of being a very undesirable potential customer. Thanks for the tip I had wondered about insurance brokers to see if it would take out the sting of the high quotes! Might phone some this week....

car insurance issues with having prev cancellation - dacouch

Was the policy cancelled solely due to the car being written off and the policy wording stating that thus cover is cancelled?

Or was it cancelled due to the Insurer discovering during the claim process information about you they were not aware of?

so the wording of the email I got about a week after the accident was:

Our Claims Department have advised us that your car has been written off (this is either due to damage or theft), and so we are unable to continue insurance on your car....As a result, all insurance cover is cancelled for you and any other drivers on the policy with effect from.....

That is not something you need to declare as a cancellation to future Insurers.

You can use whichever Insurer you want, just make sure you declare the claim.

Incidently, it's changed fairly recently, Insurers now cannot cancel the policy following writing a car off. They have to offer cover for your replacement car up until renewal subject to any normal adjustments in premium providing it's a car they would normally cover.

This changed not that long after your car was written off

That's interesting - thanks again for your advice

I shall re do the searches this time stating I have never been "cancelled/denied etc" and see what happens.....

I think I'll ring them to clarify things

car insurance issues with having prev cancellation - daveyjp
Once a car is written off it no longer exists, the only option is to therefore cancel the policy. It is not the same as having a policy cancelled or denied, which generally comes about due to a policyholder being less than truthful when buying a policy.

This is no longer accurate.

"When an insurer declares a vehicle a write-off, we expect it to offer a consumer the option of bringing a replacement vehicle onto the insurance policy so that the remainder of the policy term can be used. Depending on the make and model of the replacement vehicle, an additional premium may be required by the insurer. This should be calculated on a pro rata basis for the remainder of the policy term."

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/techni...l

Although the information about declaring cancellations is correct

There's no need to ring the Insurers as the reason for your cancellation does not need to be declared as it was a contractual cancellation.

If you ring you'll find a lot of the staff you speak to will become confused as they tend to have a limited understanding of Insurance so may either give you the wrong answer because they make a guess at the answer or will put you on hold for a long time while they speak to someone more senion.

Some Insurers quote systems are fairly sopthisticated so may recognise you / your IP address and that you had previously declared a cancelled policy and decline to quote. This is because some Insurers have their systems set to refuse to quote where they believe the customer is "massaging" their information eg adjusting their information in order to obtain a lower premium at the cost of not declaring the correct info.

You may find it helpful to clear your cookies and / or use a different browser or PC and try using slightly different details eg a different name / house number and not entering your reg. This should allow the companies who have not quoted due to you declaring the cancellation to quote.

Incidently if you had no claims bonus on your previous policy in your own name and have proof of it / can obtain it there are a small amount of companies who may accept it providing it's under 36 months old.

Alternatively if you've had sole use of a company car since then for business and private use and are able to obtain confirmation of this you may be able to claim a no claims discount equivalent to this.

If you can obtain both eg last own policy under 36 months and sole use of company car since then you may be able to obtain a policy allowing the ncd from your own policy & the company car added together. If this is the case try a local broker (I would avoid Swintons)

This link explains how an Insurer should handle a written off car, Section 17 & in particular the second paragraph explains about swopping cars on the policy after the car being written off. (This was amended from the Ombudsman previously accepting the Insurer cancelling the policy about 16 months ago)

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/techni...l

car insurance issues with having prev cancellation - coopshere
Great advice dacouch. Is there any particular reason why you would avoid Swintons?

They have a reputation amongst the industry of being very sales oriented at the cost best advice to the customer along with employing staff with a limited knowledge of Insurance.

Here's one fine some of their senior staff received of £900k for miss selling along with life time bans from the industry for the three senior executives.

www.fca.org.uk/news/former-swinton-executives-fine...g

Here's there other fine, which was £7.5m for miss selling add ons

www.fca.org.uk/news/swinton-group-fine-mis-selling...s

It's a similar thing to peopleo in the trade / knowledge would generally recommend you avoid using Halfords or Kwik Fit for an MOT

Good advice

I think I might go to an insurance broker to see what they can quote me. I am having not much luck!

Thanks again!

Save yourself a bit of time by checking exactlyn when your last policy expired and whether the Insurer will issue written confirmation of your no claims bonus at expiry.

If you had the sole use of the company car, work out the exact dates as this will also help the broker or other insurers you approach.

Please come back and update the thread as it may help other people in a similar position who google it and land on this page to see what you ended up doing