Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - h4ppy
Hi all, I have been told that my drivers front side coil spring has cracked and needs replacing. The garage has said I should replace both along with stabiliser link, geometry check and labour. They have quoted me

Coil Spring (single) x 2
Stabiliser link x 2
Geometry check and front toe adjustment
Labour hours x 1
Cost £245

Does anyone know if this is a good price? (I think it is)
Should I have them both done?

Thanks in advance

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - hardway

If you were running a Marathon.

with one old trainer on and a brand new oneon the other foot.

How well do you think you would run?

And "if" you made the distance just how well would you feel?

Yes do both sides.

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - h4ppy

Ok I get it. I'm not mechanical at all, I simply drive a car but when one tyre needs replacing I don't replace them all. Isn't that the norm?

Thanks for your reply
Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - Wackyracer

Always do suspension and brake parts in axle pairs. If one spring is cracked the other spring will be doing more work to support the vehicle.

These Ford springs are notorious for breaking. If only my ungrateful sister could read what you have been quoted, maybe she would realise that I did her a big favour doing hers for £85 all told.

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - bathtub tom

I ignore the advice about changing springs in pairs.

I accept the 'new' spring may have different characteristics to the remaining 'old' one, but consider the RH spring has the additional weight of the engine and probably the driver (as most cars spend lots of their time with a single occupant), so the car's unbalanced anyway.

I recall some Fiats (Pandas?) had a spacer on the RH front spring for RHD models, presumably for this reason.

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - Fernando P

The price is good.

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - mfarrow

The trainers analogy is understandable if you're buying two that are different but these are both the same spring just one is older than the other.

I'd agree with bathtub tom. Nothing is more imbalanced than a cars suspension due to weight distribution anyway, and then you add the road bumps and potholes which will have more to do with the other spring's demise than anything else.

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - Galaxy

The offside front spring broke on my Ford Mondeo several years ago. On asking the advice of my garage I was informed that it was only necessary to change the broken spring, not both. I had this work carried out and the car drove fine afterwards; no pulling to one side or looking lop-sided when parked. There were no problems with having just the one spring replaced whatsoever.

However, about three years later, the nearside front spring broke! I then wished that I'd had both changed originally, of course. But you just don't know; I might have sold the car on during those three years, in which case it would have been money wasted.

Horses-for-courses, I guess!

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - madf

I have changed one coil spring only on a number of cars with no issues.

BUT they were bangers and worth little AND I used springs from ascrapyard - so already worn..

Not a course I would recommend for a 2009 car,,

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - John F

I think there is no good reason for changing the spring on the other side any more than you would change a good light bulb on the other side when one fails. The worn trainer argument is a false analogy.

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - Wackyracer

If the other one does break while on the move it could cost you alot more than a spring and some labour. It is not unknown for them to puncture the front tyre and damage the brake pipe.

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - skidpan

We have had springs break on 2 cars.

The first was a BMW and the spring dropped and jammed between the strut and tyre. Luckily we were only reversing off the drive, 10 minutes later we would have been on the motorway and consequences would have been unthinkable. This was the front offside spring.

The second was on a Nissan Micra. Only found out when it failed the MOT. Looked and drove perfectly normally. This was the front nearside spring.

Its often said its only the nearside spring that breaks due to more potholes on the kerb side. Our experience shows that is not the case.

I think there is no good reason for changing the spring on the other side any more than you would change a good light bulb on the other side when one fails

But the say that shows yet again how far removed form reality John F is. Whereas a failed bulb would cause no immediate danger a broken spring could. John F may save a few pounds a year but what value does he actually put on road safety.

I think there is no good reason for changing the spring on the other side any more than you would change a good light bulb on the other side when one fails

But the say that shows yet again how far removed form reality John F is. Whereas a failed bulb would cause no immediate danger a broken spring could. John F may save a few pounds a year but what value does he actually put on road safety.

Not sure why s'pan always takes issue with me but at least my grammar and spelling is usually OK!

Actually, I remember breaking a nearside spring on my Audi many years ago - heard it go with a clang. Only lost the last 3/4 of a coil, drove perfectly OK till I eventually replaced it. The only noticeable effect was the keys swinging slightly in the ignition, presumably due to the disharmony of the suspension. I don't remember worrying about the 'road safety' implication of the offside spring not being replaced as well. Indeed, I really don't know why s'pan is so exercised by it. And yes, I have saved an absolute fortune in the last 45yrs by not having my cars 'serviced' by garages, enabling me to enjoy motoring in cars I would otherwise not have been able to comfortably afford.

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - mfarrow

The thing about this discussion is you never know when or how a spring will break. Granted it's more likely with age but then do you do them every 50k as a service item, just in case? How about the exhaust for when a weld fails and poll vaults you into a ditch?

Wifes car has had both sorings go two years apart. Yes the nearside was first because all the potholes are that side but dont forget a proportion of load is transferred through the anti-roll bar to the other side. Even so where will the weekness be in that spring and will it show itself in 10k or 100k?

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - skidpan

Actually, I remember breaking a nearside spring on my Audi many years ago - heard it go with a clang. Only lost the last 3/4 of a coil, drove perfectly OK till I eventually replaced it.

Yet another example of our "friend" showing how little mechanical knowledge he has. Driving a car in this condition is potentially dangerous and would be an MOT failure.

When will John F be prevented from posting any more d*r*i*v*e*l

Edited by skidpan on 13/05/2015 at 08:41

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - madf

Actually, I remember breaking a nearside spring on my Audi many years ago - heard it go with a clang. Only lost the last 3/4 of a coil, drove perfectly OK till I eventually replaced it.

Yet another example of our "friend" showing how little mechanical knowledge he has. Driving a car in this condition is potentially dangerous and would be an MOT failure.

When will John F be prevented from posting any more d*r*i*v*e*l

I find it hilarious.

I assume he's a windup merchant . No-one could be as criminally stupid as he suggests surely?

I assume he's a windup merchant . No-one could be as criminally stupid as he suggests surely?

I challenge often outdated and self-interested dogma. If that's what a 'windup merchant' is, then so be it.

What exactly was my 'criminally stupid suggestion', madf? As one poster illustrates here, it is often the case that a broken spring is undetected when only the end few cms are lost and it continues to sit safely in its holders. Not exactly a disaster waiting to happen! In my case it could reasonably wait a month or so till its MoT and be repaired at the same time. Another driver might well not have noticed it.

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - bathtub tom

My last car had a broken spring for months before it was discovered. I thought the car looked a little lopsided and suspected a broken spring. I even had a wheel off and couldn't spot it, so put it down to the extra weight of the engine on that side and its age (ten years). MOT tester couldn't see it, but was suspicious. I agreed to having the wheel off again and it was only seen with the steering on full lock and an inspection light. About 5cm was broken off one end, dropping the car by about 1cm on that side.

Yet another example of our "friend" showing how little mechanical knowledge he has.

Basic knowledge - Maths 'O' level aged 14, additiional Maths 'O' level including mechanics aged 15, Physics 'A' level (amongst others) aged 17......then I started to learn more and more about mechanical things over the next 40+ yrs.

How about you, s'pan?

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - Aakriti

Yes, it i a good price. You can give for the replacement. I also replaced my car coil spring when i replace it, i spent £300. It is good go for it..

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - gordonbennet

I have no comment on the price, i do such jobs myself.

Wackyracer, your sister needs a reality check, suggest you do a lucrative days overtime at work instead next time and let her find out for herself the hard way..:-) I've had to be similarly cruel to be kind with daughter, who despite me requesting her car for servicing for months on end eventually let me have it on a February wet and freezing day, you can be too accomodating sometimes.

For competent home mechanics (i'd still change the pair anyway) and hands on bangernomics owners then doing the bare minimum sometimes makes sense because they will probably have checked out the other side carefully and made a judgement, but for those relying on garages and who never actually stick their heads under the car (and wouldn't know what to look for if they did) it's plainly obvious good sense to fix things like this in pairs.

Someone mentioned tyres and changing one, i would only ever do that when the other one is of similar, preferably identical, type and is almost new itself.

I haven't bought a pair of tyres for years let alone a single, i rotate them to wear them down evenly and buy sets of 4 at a time....usually my spare is the original because i either don't like them or won't pay the premium prices for the makes usually fitted when new.

Ford Fiesta Tiitanium 09 Plate 1.6 - Coil Spring Replacement - old-school-tech

I sometimes replace both but usually only if they look in poor condition, and only because it will save the owner coming back for the 2nd one at a later date, and I always explain the reasoning to the customer and let them make the decision.

The safety argument for replacing both is nonsense, completely.

If the first one hadn't broke then neither would be replaced correct? so why are we replacing the second one, apparantly because if one part fails we assume something totally unconnected to that part will also fail?

by the same logic we should be replacing all 4.