Possible crash scam - Leif
I was on the way to work this morning, rounded a bend, and up ahead a car pulled out from a junction. It moved slowly, then just as it moved into my lane, it came to a dead stop. I braked sharply. About one second after I stopped, he pulled away, then at the next junction, turned left, then swung right, ready to move out. I stopped to look into the car. It was an old car, UK plates, with a Russia sticker, two males mid thirties, inside. It occurred to me he might be wanting to wait for another car to pull out in front of.

Thoughts? Why would someone pull out, then stop in front of an oncoming vehicle? Is it worth contacting local police? I have a video. One colleague though he was engineering a crash, one was not sure, and a Ukrainian thought it bad but normal driving. I cannot think of any explanation except wanting to be rear ended. I should add that I am probably more cautious and alert than the average driver, thanks to IAM lessons, so I am not so easily caught out. Not that I claim to be a particularly good driver.

I am minded to email the local police with the number plate, presumably they can do a quick check, and ask for the video if need be.
Possible crash scam - JBC

I agree - I think you should pass the information on to the police so they have the opportunity to gather intelligence, then if it is a scam they have some supportive data

Possible crash scam - scot22

I agree with JBC. Indeed the police may already have had a previous report re that number plate. At least you will know you have done, in my view, the right thing to protect law abiding motorists from a possible scam, and given information about poor driving.

Possible crash scam - Chris M

Agree with reporting it to the local police, but also report it to the Insurance Fraud Bureau. See the last bullet point:

http://www.insurancefraudbureau.org/insurance-fraud/crash-for-cash/

Your video evidence could be very helpful to a wider investigation. It may not, but you will have at least done your bit.

Did the incident occur in one of the hotspots (see link)?

Possible crash scam - John F

I have just been cold called by an Asian accented male purporting to be from 'The accident centre' in Manchester. Apparently they are aware of 'an accident sometime in the last three years' at my landline number. As it happens, there was a very minor rear ender some time ago. Despite my assurances that there was no personal injury, he attempted to tempt me with 'if some back or neck pain...£4,500 compensation'. I explained that this would be fraud but he assured me that it wasn't. I then told him in no uncertain terms that people like him were responsible for an extra 20% on insurance premiums - he eventually gave up.

It does seem that we now have a sizeable population who do not feel they belong to or have any responsibility towards our UK society and wellbeing. I wonder if they ever ponder the Kennedy question - 'ask not what the country can do for you......'

Possible crash scam - Smileyman

This sort of cold calling is widespread, I often receive such calls. I always invite the caller to give more details but they cannot - it's a fishing exercise on their part to win som business. About time such activity was made illegal, with automatic imprisonment (upon conviction) for both caller and company Director, it would certainly focus some attention.

Possible crash scam - Chris M

I was cold called this morning. I usually just hang up, but I was a bit bored so I entered into a conversation. Their records showed that I had had a non fault accident within the last three years. I asked where they had got the information and the (quite polite) lady said from aggregator sites. It then occurred to me, that the non fault claim was a windscreen chip repair. I had a minute or two of fun going along with the call until I said that I hadn't been seriously injured when the stone chipped the screen. The call ended soon afterwards.

To be honest, I didn't realise aggregator sites were a source of data for them.

Possible crash scam - Bromptonaut

It does seem that we now have a sizeable population who do not feel they belong to or have any responsibility towards our UK society and wellbeing

I wonder if they ever ponder the Kennedy question - 'ask not what the country can do for you......'

Had a similar call today from what I think was introduced as 'The Accident Centre'. No indication of a Manchester connection though, just some numbers on caller ID so as to bypass 'no anon calls' protocols. Caller was Asian accented but probably in Chennai or Mumbai.

Nothing to do with a sizeable population who do not feel they belong to or have any responsibility towards our UK society and wellbeing. Just people who think they see a business opening for claims factories and do so in cheapest possible way.

It is quite interesting, if you've time on your hands, to engage these calls. I particularly like the ones who try to sound as though they're arms of government, 'The Factories Bureau' and such like, who's inormation teels them I worked in a noisy environment. Fun to waste their time geting them to explain how they got this info...

And for supreme irony there are the cold callers who ring trying to sell you services to stop cold calls.......

Thanks all.
Possible crash scam - dan86

It's the same as those ppi calls. A cording to them I am owed £5000 in compensation but I've never had ppi nor am I likely to get it. But as mentioned above one day was bored so went along with the call for nearly a hour until the caller realised I was waisting his time. They haven't rung me since then.

Apparently this is not dangerous driving. Damned odd though. Video here:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=jhSl3hmOn9Y
Possible crash scam - Wackyracer

Who said it is not dangerous driving? Police? It looks like a deliberate attempt to get shunted to me.

It does to me too. Yes, the police said it was not dangerous driving.

I bet if you pulled a stunt like that infront of a police car, it would be dangerous driving.

Without doubt.

Oddly enough a few months ago I witnessed an accident where a van overtook a car, then a few seconds later did an emergency stop, for no obvious reason, the car drove into it, and the van then drove off. I sent in a video, with a view to catching the van driver. The police fined the car driver and sent her on a driving course. I felt rotten about that. It did seem an odd decision. She should have slowed, but it seemed harsh.

Yes, not always the outcome you expect. I remember a case where a driver of a van fell asleep and crashed into a tractor. The tractor driver/owner was fined for using red diesel and not being within the allowed radius of his farm. The van driver walked away with no prosecution.

Have you thought about listing this cars registration number on one of the badly driven websites?

Edited by Wackyracer on 05/05/2015 at 23:50