Peugeot Dealer - skidpan

Wifes Kia Ceed SW is due to be replaced in September, it will be 5 years old, so its that time when we start narrowing down the shortlist.

Basically we want a medium sized estate with a petrol engine, preferably turbo.

The Peugeot 308 SW with the 1.2 130PS engine appears to fit the bill and has got good reviews so far, even Honest John liked it.

So we popped into the dealer this morning for a look. Sales lady told us that it had been discontinued despite having won many awards and only having been introduced within the last year. She thought a new model was due.

When I got home I checked on Peugeots site, the 308 SW is still on and you can still configure the car.

So I rang the next closest dealer, he said it had not been discontinued and they were expecting more stock cars in during the next few days, even the sales manager drives one.

So who is having a laugh.

Peugeot Dealer - Andrew-T

So go back to the first dealer and offer to buy from them if they outbid the second, to compensate you for the inconvenience ?

Peugeot Dealer - skidpan

Why should I consider buying from a dealer whose staff are clearly total fukwits. We will visit the second dealer shortly for a test drive and considering we have already had a cracking bid from them via a broker they are almost certainly favourites if we decide on the 308.

At the end of the day I would rather trade with a competent garage than get compensation for anothers idiot staff.

Peugeot Dealer - daveyjp
It is safe to say very few dealers know the detail about any car they sell and the lack of access to the internet makes me wonder why they all have an expensive PC on the desk.

Just after Christmas we went to look at the new smart forfour. When I started asking about prices of the turbo model the salesman looked at a scrappy piece of paper dated October 2014 and told me it wasn't available in RHD.

If he had used his PC he would have found the December pricelist with details of the turbo. Its all I did, but I shouldn't have to do his job,

Peugeot Dealer - Gibbo_Wirral
It is safe to say very few dealers know the detail about any car they sell and the lack of access to the internet makes me wonder why they all have an expensive PC on the desk.

The PC is just there for them to work out how much £££££££££££££ comission they've made!

Why should I consider buying from a dealer whose staff are clearly total fukwits.

So that you can take advantage of their ...wittedness and get a better deal. Once the car is yours you can take it to the other dealer for servicing.

Peugeot Dealer - skidpan

Just had a reply back from Peugeot:

Thank you for your recent enquiry about whether the 308 SW is discontinued or not.

It is definitely not discontinued. I'm very sorry that you have been misinformed by the first dealership”

Top marks to Peugeot for replying so fast but it still makes you wonder how a garage can be so useless. If they are this bad before you buy a car how bad are they after. Perhaps this is why Peugeot are always so close to the bottom in satisfaction surveys.

Peugeot Dealer - Snakey

It still never fails to suprise me how little some main dealers know about their products.

We bought a nissan juke recently and the salesman was wrong about the car on several points:

1) Its chain cam (petrol) not belt, one of the reasons I went for a juke

2) The reversing camera does not beep when you get near a hazard, its all down to your eyes!

3) The tax band was one lower than he quoted

4) There is a room for a space saver in the boot - it was just an additonal option when new

I know a level of car knowledge is considered 'geeky' (although being able to name every player in your football team since 1931 isn't ;-) ) but surely they could fill in their knowledge whilst waiting for some punters?

Peugeot Dealer - Gibbo_Wirral

It still never fails to suprise me how little some main dealers know about their products.

Me either. I'm close to three Peugeot dealers and the levels of service are wildly different at all three.

The worst is the Chester branch - all polished tiles and shiny surfaces, no doubt to appeal to the "Cheshire set". They look down on you if you dare to go in and buy parts.

Then there's another branch who charges the full hour for diagnostics when it only takes half an hour. A neighbouring branch charges the half hour rate.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 24/03/2015 at 13:25

The worst is the Chester branch - all polished tiles and shiny surfaces, no doubt to appeal to the "Cheshire set". They look down on you if you dare to go in and buy parts.

Was it better when Dickens was still in Christleton? (I haven't been to the new one?)

Peugeot Dealer - davecooper
Had a similar experience when a salesman told me a variant had been discontinued. I then went to another dealer who told me it was very much current and I bought through them. It isn't a good state of affairs when someone coming in off the street knows the range better than the salesman... which is probably quite common.
Peugeot Dealer - skidpan

Update.

Peugeot have e-mailed and phoned me and arranged for my next nearest local dealer to contact me.

Dealer phoned and they have the SW in stock but not petrols, only a diesel demonstrator. They have a petrol hatch which we can take out solo for a good drive. Will organise for after Easter.

If it goes OK and the pet crate fits in the back of the SW it will be way up the short list. In truth I will probably ask for a short drive in the SW since estates sometime drive very different to their hatch brothers.

But I won't be going back to our closest dealer.