Hyundai 130 automatic - Leaving car on drive for 2 months - carquet

Can I leave my car in the garage for 2 months, what precautions do I need to take?

Hyundai 130 automatic - Leaving car on drive for 2 months - craig-pd130

It will be fine for that length of time. I would do the following before you park it up in your garage, or on your drive:

- take the car for a 10 to 15-mile run to get the engine and exhaust thoroughly warmed up and all engine components nicely coated in oil. Ideally during the day with lights OFF so you can put a charge into the battery

- inflate the tyres to the higher 'full load' or 'eco' pressure recommended in the manual

- switch OFF interior lights or anything electrical which could risk draining the battery

- if possible, leave the handbrake off, and stop the car rolling by putting a couple of bricks behind the wheels.

Once you've done this, do NOT be tempted to start the car and let it tick over just to "make sure it turns over." This accelerates internal wear.

Hyundai 130 automatic - Leaving car on drive for 2 months - gordonbennet

I'd be surprised if the battery has enough charge to start it after 2 months on a modern car, but you never know.

If you have power close by then leaving a smart charger connected to keep the battery topped up would be ideal.

One other thing, if the car has seen the winter salt, i would be inclined to give it a thorough hosing down to get rid of the stuff, especially the undersides, round the brakes, calipers, suspension wheelarches before you give it that final drying off drive Craig-pd mentions.

In my previous work i saw the undersides of hundreds of cars that had been defleeted in winter and then stood for several months leaving the salt coating the undersides to bake in.

Hyundai 130 automatic - Leaving car on drive for 2 months - carquet

Thanks for your replies, I am researching costs, convenience etc; between leaving the car at home or driving down to the south of Spain, this is from South West France where we live.

Hyundai 130 automatic - Leaving car on drive for 2 months - coopshere
Considering the relative proximity from your home to destination I would have thought that taking your car would be the best option especially if you will need to use a car whilst there.
Hyundai 130 automatic - Leaving car on drive for 2 months - John F

I think I would disconnect the battery and if room, jack it up on blocks to take weight off tyres although modern ones seem immune to flat spots. I'm hoping our old Focus will start after nearly 4 weeks at Heathrow!

Hyundai 130 automatic - Leaving car on drive for 2 months - slkfanboy

I would not disconnect the battery as that might cause more issues than it solves, like loss of radio etc.

Hyundai 130 automatic - Leaving car on drive for 2 months - skidpan

I have never used on myself but some people I know in the Caterham fraternity use solar chargers when their cars are stored in garages with no power. They appear happy with them.

This is the type of thing I mean.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Essentials-Solar-Powered-Battery-Charger/dp/B00AC1LLQY/ref=sr_1_8/275-6730029-1957138?ie=UTF8&qid=1424780538&sr=8-8&keywords=battery+trickle+charger

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Visua-Powered-Battery-Charger-Caravans/dp/B0051T9V9Q/ref=sr_1_3/275-6730029-1957138?ie=UTF8&qid=1424780538&sr=8-3&keywords=battery+trickle+charger