Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - Brake Fluid & Engine Flush - GBP1705

I had my car in for it's 2nd service yesterday and although I have a service plan with Ford I was informed when I arrived by the garage that th evehicle needs an Engine Flush and also the brake fluid requires changing, this seemingly is Ford's recomendation. Bearing in mind the car has done less than 11500 miles since new on 27th Feb2013.

The cost for this work was nearly £65.

Is this a scam for dealers to earn extra money ?

Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - Brake Fluid & Engine Flush - Wackyracer

Brake fluid changes should be done every 2 years usually.

Engine flushes are not something I do or recommend but, there are others who will say it is necessary.

Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - Brake Fluid & Engine Flush - elekie&a/c doctor
Brake fluid change ,yes.Engine flush a complete waste of time.Is it on the Ford service schedule?Doubt it.
Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - Brake Fluid & Engine Flush - daveyjp
I don't know about Ford, but "Brake" fluid is now a misnomer for many vehicles as it is now a more general hydraulic fluid which is also used for the hydraulic clutch. A fluid change will be about £40 which is cheaper than new clutch components.
Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - Brake Fluid & Engine Flush - jc2

Ford do NOT recommend engine flush.The dealer does.

Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - Brake Fluid & Engine Flush - Galaxy

Some years ago I was offered, as extras for the service, both a brake fluid change and an engine flush. This was by my local Ford Main Dealer.

I agreed to the brake fluid change but refused the engine flush. I'd read plenty of articles in motoring magazines, which I used to subscribe to, saying this probably wasn't a very good idea. Also, it certainly isn't recommended by Ford.

I think they'd just recently had a company rep in to see them. The cans of engine flush and accompanying posters were absolutely everywhere in the service reception. From what I remember it wasn't a Ford product, either.

Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - Brake Fluid & Engine Flush - jc2

In fact,the driver's manual supplied with the car tells you NOT to use anything other than the recommended oil.Use of it could invalidate the warranty.

Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - Brake Fluid & Engine Flush - skidpan

Most manuals will state not to use oil and fuel additives as they can damage cats and other emmision system components. But this has never stopped garages selling the stuff.

Brake fluid changes are a sensible precaution but some makes use 2 and some 3 years changes. Our Ford dealer used to check for moisture with a sensor or something and only recommend a change when the boiling point dropped below their figure but I still had it done every 3 years since the moisure can cause corrosion inside brake components.