Any - Chance of haggle at large London car supermarket . - 2fast4u
Hi all,
I'm after a car for the other half and have decided to go to the large "trade" supermarket in London as they have several of the model we want. On their website they say " find your next car haggle and hassle free". To be fair their prices do look cheap but I just wondered if anyone had any luck knocking any money off the sticker price as paying full asking price is alien to me! Cheers
Any - Chance of haggle at large London car supermarket . - oldroverboy.
If it,s the one near the scrubs... They might knock off the admin price. But they are cheap. However expect high mileage cars and personally I wasn.t impressed and found what I wanted elsewhere.
Any - Chance of haggle at large London car supermarket . - leaseman

Almost everyone who posts on this forum, usually in the legal advice section, has purchased a car cheaply- either privately, from a dodgy used car dealer or from a car supermarket.

If you have good knowledge of cars and their potential problems and you are confident that you can spot a flawed specimen, then go ahead and haggle down the price.

On the other hand, if you are not well versed, then buy from a well established dealership (franchised by a manufacturer or not) who offer good warranty cover (READ it first before signing anything..............but of course nobody does that!). That gives you a fighting chance of getting value for money (But you won't buy cheap, if that is your only criterion!).

Yep that one, for some reason I keep calling it the great trade centre even though they haven't been called that for years now. Thanks for your input.
Any - Chance of haggle at large London car supermarket . - catsdad
I've never bought from them but friends have and cars have been OK. Last time I was buying (15 months ago) I found prices were much less varied across main dealers and car supermarkets than a few years ago. I think HJ has commented in the past that meeting consumer legislation has pushed up prices at supermarkets. At the same time the visibility on the net of Autotrader and other sites has maybe encouraged main dealers to be more competitive.. Net result is price differences have narrowed and of course you have more scope to narrow further by haggling at a main dealer. In my case I got a Civic from a local amain dealer at close to what the supermarkets wanted at that time.
Any - Chance of haggle at large London car supermarket . - Alby Back
I really must get some new glasses. I was certain the thread title was "Any chance of haggis at a large London supermarket"

As you were chaps, as you were.

;-)
Any - Chance of haggle at large London car supermarket . - S40 Man

You may have more chance on a weekday. I bought my Mondeo there on a saturday and the place was rammed. With it being so busy the sales guys weren't interested in haggling as they should get enough sales in one day. If its less busy maybe you would have more luck. Price was OK and car is fabby anway. Get a value from wbac or trade value first also.

Any - Chance of haggle at large London car supermarket . - bathtub tom

>>Almost everyone who posts on this forum, usually in the legal advice section, has purchased a car cheaply- either privately, from a dodgy used car dealer or from a car supermarket.

Bit of a sweeping generalisation!

I bought from a national, car supermarket for £9K. A comparable car (age, model and mileage) was at a local main dealer for £11K on Autotrader. The price on the window there was £13K!

Any - Chance of haggle at large London car supermarket . - Chris M

Bought the C1 from Cargiant nearly two years ago. Local Citroen dealers only had a couple and they weren't quite what I was after. Cargiant had 8 of them plus as many Aygos and a couple of 107s. All the cars I looked at had been well valeted and there was no sign of any body damage - so all repaired prior to sale.

My C1 has proved a good buy and I'd buy again. The prices are reasonable, there was a wide choice under one roof and drove away the same day with free insurance. Taxed at the PO a mile away.

For me the only downside was the pushy saleman. Warranty, GAP & paint protection. Wouldn't take no for an answer. Bit of a game to start with, but I got close to getting up and walking. Clever salesman probably sensed and backed off.

Thanks for for that, we will go on a weekday, preying it's going to snow heavily so the place might be empty and salesmen desperate! We'll see.
Any - Chance of haggle at large London car supermarket . - Avant

Thanks for raising a smile, Alby Back! But I think the OP is looking for something that isn't too tatty.

Any - Chance of haggle at large London car supermarket . - oldtoffee

Bought a Passat there a long time ago, it was 1 year old and half list price, auto, 10k miles. There was plenty of choice and the sales guy was honest enough to point out that a car might be £300 less than another almost identical one but it will have lapsed out of warranty due to not being serviced on time so I'd watch out for that and keep saying no every time they try to sell you gap insurance, credit, paint protection and over priced haggises.

Any - Chance of haggle at large London car supermarket . - skidpan

We have bought 2 cars in the past from different supermarkets, i.e. in the late 90's ans early 2000's. Both were way cheaper than local dealers and they had better choices as well. On both occations we asked for a bit off the ticket price and they said no. But once we started to leave they dropped £300 on each occation.

The last time we visited a supermarket was back in 2005. By then local dealers prices were much closer and as soon I said we had seen the same on the internet cheaper the price dropped to the exactly the price I had seen without even telling him.

Any - Chance of haggle at large London car supermarket . - daveyK_UK

Is there a motorpoint in London?

If so, I can reccomend them. They do throw on an admin fee but depending on the time of the month, this can be halted or removed all together.

There prices are generally but not always competitive.