Is this fair? - Razzy

Hi all. I'm after a bit of advice so please be gentle with me.

Yesterday I took my wies car to work to give it a 'blast' on the motorway.

I was stopped by police who say I was doing 84mph for 0.15 metres, which cant be right as I never exceeded 80mph and the tomtom said 78.

My wife's car is insured under commercial cover - her dad buys and sells cars but she is a named driver on the policy. I was informed by Admiral that because I am fully comp on my car I am able to drive another car 3rd party only.

According to the policeman this doesnt apply to 'traders' policy. so he rang admiral and apparantly it doesnt apply - so he gave me 6 points for driving without a license and impounded my wifs car on the spot. He said he would forget the speeding offence since 6 points was bad enough, and it was my 1st offence

On the insurance documentation for the car it states 'commercial' insurance and clearly states my wife as a named driver for social, domestic and pleasure.

Was the policeman right to call it a 'traders' policy or was I indeed right thinking I am covered on the car? I'm going to ring admiral at 8am when they open but I have been so worried over the matter that I thought i would post here for advice.

Thankyou in advance

Is this fair? - Dwight Van Driver

The POLICY for the poster's own car should be examined in detail and should indicate just what is or is not covered as far as DOC is concerned.

At the end of the day the issuing company should be contacted to see if they consider themselves 'at risk' in the relation to the use (DOC) of the vehicle as mentioned. If so obtain this fact in writing to produce to Police/Court?.

If not the unfortunately it will be Police 1 Poster 0

dvd

Is this fair? - FP

"...he gave me 6 points for driving without a license..."

Are we talking about driving without a licence, or driving without insurance?

Assuming it's the latter, I can't see the relevance of the OP's wife's insurance cover for the car, as the OP believes he is covered by his own insurance. The police's comment that the OP's insurance doesn't apply to "'trader's policy'" (= his wife's policy?) seems wide of the mark. Since when did one policy negate another?

Or am I missing something?

I agree that the only solution is for the OP to get a definitive statement from Admiral. If it conflicts with what he has been told by the police, he needs the information in writing and can take it from there.

Edited by FP on 26/01/2015 at 09:35

Is this fair? - Razzy

Sorry - 6 points for driving without insurance.

Admiral have basically said that it is not a 'private' insurance so it looks like im stuffed.

Even though it's not a traders policy and my wife is clearly named as one of the 6 drivers it is defined as 'commercial' so looks like im not covered.

Ive sent in the commercial insurance policy for them to have a look at hoping and praying that i'm ok.

Is this fair? - Andrew-T

<< I was stopped by police who say I was doing 84mph for 0.15 metres, which can't be right as I never exceeded 80mph and the tomtom said 78. >>

0.15 METRES ? Is that what the police said? At 84mph that will take you 4 milliseconds if my calcs are right. Very strange.

Is this fair? - pd

A quick check of Admiral's policy seems to say:

1b. Driving other cars
If you are 25 or over and qualify under this section, cover is for the policyholder only
and is third party only, while driving a private motor car within our territorial limits. Your
current Certificate of Motor Insurance will say if you have this cover.
You will be covered for everything listed in clause 1a when you are driving any other car
as long as:
¦¦ your current Certificate of Motor Insurance says so
¦¦ you hold a valid Driving Licence and are not disqualified
¦¦ the other car is not owned by you, a rental car, nor hired to you under a hire
purchase or leasing agreement
¦¦ you have the owner’s permission to drive the car
¦¦ there is a valid insurance policy in force for that car
¦¦ you are not covered by any other insurance to drive it
¦¦ you still have your car and it has not been damaged beyond repair, stolen nor sold

Doesn't say anythng about the type of insurance in place but it does state "private motor car" so you probably need to check their definition of this. As I read it, if your wife's car is privately owned by her and not a company car the type of her insurance does not matter.

Edited by pd on 26/01/2015 at 13:18

Is this fair? - Dwight Van Driver

Been through my books/notes and cannot come up with a legal definition of 'private motor vehicle'

Some suggestion on web it is one other than a vehicle used for commercial purposes.

Look at the Excise Licence is one still being displayed or if not check VE5.

Is it listed as 'Private/Light Goods/? If it is it might give an argument to Insurance Co who at the end of the day will decree.

dvd

Is this fair? - Razzy

Doesn't say anythng about the type of insurance in place but it does state "private motor car" so you probably need to check their definition of this. As I read it, if your wife's car is privately owned by her and not a company car the type of her insurance does not matter.

It's not a lease or hire car hence I thought I'd be covered. I've sent the policy documents over to Admiral where they can go through it and see my wife is a named driver. The issue seems to be the fact the policy is under my father in law's business name and that's why apparantly I am not covered.

I have been advised to contest the fine and points even if this means a court appearance.

I explained to the policeman that I was 30 miles away from home and knew nobody remotely close who could pick me up and he just didn't seem to care. I don't know if this is normal behaviour or not as I have never been stopped before, but just seems a little 'cold'

Is this fair? - Razzy

It was recorded as 0.156 metres. Which just seems silly.

Do policemen have quotas or something?

Is this fair? - dacouch

When you were stopped by the police, did you show them your own Certificate of Insurance by any chance?

If you could answer this I could have the solution to you.

In addition under the traders policy was your wife's car added to the MID (Motor Insurance Database)?

What sort of car was it?

Is this fair? - Razzy

I was in my wife's car so did not have my certificate of insurance (it's in my car's glove box)

I did give him the 'commercial cover' policy though to explain it's not a 'traders policy' per se.

Wife's car was added to MID when it was purchased a couple of years ago, and this was double checked by my father in law when I told him what happened.

When the policeman checked her car he asked me if I had just bought the car, but I said no....then explained it's on a commercial policy so perhaps that has something to do with it

Is this fair? - dacouch

Shame you did not have your Certificate to show them, you could have then used Pryor v Greater Manchester Police which is a very similar case to yours, even down to the Insurer miss informing the police about the Driving other Cars extension.

www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2011/749.html

Is this fair? - Bromptonaut

Am I understanding circs correctly as being that OP's wife works in her father's business and is provided with a 'company car' insured by the employing business?

Is this fair? - dacouch

I'm guessing the father is a motor trader and has covered the daughters car under the motor trade policy (I assume for business & pleasure use) and that she is either an employee of the garage or the car has been added as being a family members car which many Motor Trade Insurers offer where the trader has bona fide premises

Is this fair? - Razzy

I'm guessing the father is a motor trader and has covered the daughters car under the motor trade policy (I assume for business & pleasure use) and that she is either an employee of the garage or the car has been added as being a family members car which many Motor Trade Insurers offer where the trader has bona fide premises

Yep, added as a family member to the policy. Her dad has a petrol station/car sales business

Is this fair? - dacouch

Is the car owned / registered by the daughter or the business?

What's the make / model of the car?

Is this fair? - Razzy

Car is owned by her dad's business, but is exclusively used by my wife.

It's a Mazda 2, 1.3 litre petrol

Is this fair? - dacouch

What is the exact wording on your Admiral Certificate relating to the driving other cars extension.

Is this fair? - Razzy

What is the exact wording on your Admiral Certificate relating to the driving other cars extension.

I'm not currently at home so will get the exact wording as soon as I can.

Is this fair? - dacouch

Which Insurer does your father use for his motor trade Insurance

is it

Aviva

Allianz

RSA

Arista

Is this fair? - Razzy

His commercial policy is covered by AXA

Is this fair? - dacouch

What does your Certificate say?

Is this fair? - Razzy

My certificate says:

"The Policyholder may also drive with the consent of the owner a private motor car not belonging to him/her and not hired to him/her under a Hire Purchase Agreement, within our territorial limits, providing there is a valid insurance policy in force for that car.

All drivers must also be driving in accordance with the terms of a valid licence and must not be disqualified from driving.

The Policy does not cover:

Use for renting out or hiring, merchandise delivery or use for any purpose in connection with the Motor Trade. Use to secure the release of a motor vehicle, other than the vehicle identified above by its registration mark, which has been seized by, or on behalf of, any government or public authority

Use on the Nurburgring Nordschleife, or for racing, pace-making, competitions, rallies, track days, trials or speed tests either on a road, track, or at an off road 4x4 event

Edited by Razzy on 27/01/2015 at 10:11

Is this fair? - RT

My certificate says:

"The Policyholder may also drive with the consent of the owner a private motor car not belonging to him/her and not hired to him/her under a Hire Purchase Agreement, within our territorial limits, providing there is a valid insurance policy in force for that car.

All drivers must also be driving in accordance with the terms of a valid licence and must not be disqualified from driving.

The Policy does not cover:

Use for renting out or hiring, merchandise delivery or use for any purpose in connection with the Motor Trade. Use to secure the release of a motor vehicle, other than the vehicle identified above by its registration mark, which has been seized by, or on behalf of, any government or public authority

Use on the Nurburgring Nordschleife, or for racing, pace-making, competitions, rallies, track days, trials or speed tests either on a road, track, or at an off road 4x4 event

Is that the problem? Your wife's car has connections with the motor trade !

Is this fair? - alan1302

You were speeding and got caught - just accept it and learn from it.

Is this fair? - Razzy

You were speeding and got caught - just accept it and learn from it.

I accept that.

What I don't accept is the 'driving without insurance'

Is this fair? - concrete

This seems a strange affair. An officious police officer and an insurance company clerk who could be misinformed. The whole point point of extended 3rd party cover is the use of another car (within reason-not a Porsche) as a temporary measure. If the other car has a valid insurance policy as required and the OP's insurance is valid: where is the confusion? The police officer has used his discretion and will not pursue the speeding offence, which I think buries that one, but I would be inclined to pursue this matter further. I would badger your insurance company and speak to their legal advisor to establish on precisely what grounds they have for not covering you under the terms of your policy. This is a crucial point, and if you are successful you can easily defend yourself against the charge of driving without insurance. Good luck and stick at it. Many fail because they run out of steam and give up. Keep us informed of the progress and outcome.

All the best. Concrete

Is this fair? - slkfanboy

It’s quite clear. The car is covered for the OP’s wife to drive under the company insurance and no one else. The OP own insurance covers him to drive the car, unless the conditions are breached.

So why did the OP show the officer his wife’s insurance, surely the officer is going to say that the OP is not covered due to the evidence provided? He would need to see the OP’s insurance document, hence the car was impounded and 6 points.

Main issue is the OP says he has been given 6 point , did he accept a fixed penalty, basically admitted the offence already? Second issue is the term in conjunction with the motor trade and the OP’s wife working for a motor trader, what does that mean it seems to be a grey area.

Is this fair? - Razzy

I showed them my wifes policy because the policeman assumed it was a 'traders' policy.

I knew it was not as I have been under a traders policy before. Any employee can drive the car under a traders policy. This is not the case under this commercial policy.

I accepted nothing and argued my point, but he was not interested and just towed the car away.

I'm still waiting for the paperwork as the 'offence' happened on sunday (25th Jan)

Is this fair? - dacouch

Your Certificate of Insurance from Admiral (As is anyone's) is a legal document which declares what Admiral are covering for Third Party Only Cover as per the requirements of the Road Traffic Act.

As you can see from your Certificate it confirms that you're covered to drive your wife's car as at the time of the stop you were conforming to it's requirement for driving other cars to apply.

The Police and Admiral cannot say that the policy wording itself contains a separate wording which would mean you were not covered as the Certificate itself confirms you are covered. (The Policy wording itself does not contain any wording anyway that means the DOC cover does not apply as it only requires a "Valid Insurance policy in force on that car"

I work in insurance and arrange a large number of motortrade policies, it's not unusual for police traffic officers to ring and try and interpet a motor trade policy or a normal motor policy to say a customer is not actually covered. It's partly because they do not always fully understand motor trade policies and partly because at the lower end of MT there are a lot of people who try and cover their friends on their MT policiy because it can be very cheap and cover them for any car.

I've helped out on another forum where a police officer stopped a driver whose MOT had expired and had rung Admiral who told the police officer this invalidated the policy and he was therefore not covered. The Police impounded the car and prosecuted for no insurance. Admiral were in the wrong as lack of an MOT does not invalidate a policy. We helped the poster and he was able to gain written confirmation from Admiral (Letter of Indemnity) that he was in fact actually covered, a refund of the impound costs (from Admiral) and also the no insurance conviction avoided.

Is this fair? - RT

The cover note excludes any use in connection with the motor trade - the "other car" involved is connected with the motor trade.

Is this fair? - dacouch

He was not using the car in connection with the motortrade, I assume he was using the car for private use.

If he was using the car in connection with the motortrade, the type of MT policy the father has would cover any driver who is driving in on the motor traders business so he would use that as confirmation he's covered.

Is this fair? - dacouch

I would suggest you do the following.

Pay for the car to be retrieved from the pound as you need to a) get your car back b) keep the costs as low as possible

Get a letter / email from your father's motortrade business confirming you had permission from the company to use the car (Your Admiral policy requires you to have the owner of the car's permission to drive the car)

You then need to contact Admiral and ask to speak to someonen senior preferably in the underwriting department. I would avoid ringing between 11.45am and 2.15pm as they will have staff on lunch or about to go on lunch and in addition these are their busy times. Remain polite but firm.

Explain to them the importance of the matter as you have incured costs due to the incorrect seizure of the car and pending no insurance conviction.

Read out to them the wording of the CERTIFICATE of Insurance relating to driving other cars and remind them that at the time you were stopped you complied with each requirement. That the vehicle held "Valid Insurance" as it was covered by the MT policy which as they do not elabourate any further is a valid insurance as it covers the car. Remind them that the Certficate is a legal document confirming you are covered for third party and as such you were insured by the Admiral policy at the time of the stop.

If they labour the arguement about "valid insurance" remind them that Axa are an "Authorised Insurer" as such they have permission from the UK government to provide motor insurance which complies to the Road Traffic Act. As they're an "Authorised Insurer" they can and do issue valid certificates of Insurance under the motor trade policy. They are also able to upload to the Motor Insurance Database vehicles which are covered by their Motortrade policy that need to registered on the database. By any reasonable interpretation of "Valid Insurance" this is a valid motor insurance policy certainly a court of law would agree it's a valid policy.

If they try and argue that the car you were driving was a commercial car, ask them to provide an authoritive source to confirm what is a commercial car and what is a private car. When they cannot do this remind them that the general accepted method is to look at what the Log Book and Tax Disk describes the vehicle as and that in the case of the car it's described as private car on the tax disk and log book

If they try and say it's a commercial policy a) The Certificate & Policy do not elaborate what a valid policy is so this irrelevant b) It's a commercial policy that by virtue of the needs of a motor trader also provides cover for cars and is compliant with the Road Traffic Act.

If they tell you the policy has other wordings that preclude you from being covered a) There's nothing in their policy meaning you're not covered b) It's irrelevant as when it comes to whether or not your covered in the eyes of the law is what the Certificate contains.

Once they've agreed you're covered, you need to tell them that they need to provide a "Letter of Indemnity" confirming you were covered at the time of the accident. (A Letter of Indemnity is basically a letter on their headed paper confirming that at the time of the incident they would have indemnified you against claims made against you). I suggest you have the documents the police gave you to hand when calling as to provide the letter they normally require the date / time of the incident.

I would not at this stage raise that you want them to reimberse the costs of the seizure as it's likely to mean the staff will want to protect their employee from incurring costs so are less likely to help. Once they've agreed you're covered and to provide confirmation of this you can look to them for the costs.

Do not be afraid to refer them to this thread, as the posts from other posters and myself are correct in confirming that Admiral are in the wrong. If they view the thread they will see they're in the wrong and that you're determined to resolve the matter.

If you do not have any luck POLITELY ask them to arrange a more senior person to contact you to discuss this matter as you potentially will receive a conviction through no fault of your own but due to the mistake made between the police officer and their member of staff.

If the above does not work, there's a way you can contact the Ombudsman by phone and for the Ombudsman to take down a brief "Official Complaint". When the Ombudsman realises the importance / urgency of the matter and that Admiral have made a mistake for the Ombudsman to ring Admiral and recommend to a senior member of staff that they correct the mistake. If this is needed post back and I'll tell you how to do this.

Once you get the "Letter of Indemnity" from Admiral, post back up and we can tell you how to present this to the police to have the pending conviction thrown out. We can also then tell you how to get Admiral to pay the vehicle seizure costs.

Please ensure you post back to update the thread and once the matter's resolved you post the result. This will help anyone in the future who has a similar problem and googles it as google will throw up this page

Incidently, if you had your Admiral Certificate of Insurance with you and had produced this at the time of the stop. Then the seizure of your vehicle would not have been lawful as you would have produced a "Relevant Certificate". Had the police proceeded to seize the car you could have recovered the seizure costs from them as per the previous case I linked to eg Pryor v Greater Manchester Police

Note if you've initially tried to tell the Police officer that you were covered by the motortrade policy the above will probably not work. This is due to the Admiral policy probably having a clause excluding using cars in connection with Motor Trade Use so they may use this as an argument. If you were using the car in connection with the father or anyone elses motor trade then your Admiral policy is not likely to cover you

Edited by dacouch on 27/01/2015 at 21:15

Is this fair? - scot22

I have to post my admiration of your response dacouch. People like you make forums so helpful to those without your knowledge and experience. Taking the time to share it is really appreciated.

Is this fair? - Razzy

Wow. Thank you so much dacouch. Massive massive help and I'll be sure to ring them tomorrow.

I insisted I was covered on my policy, not the motor trade cover

Is this fair? - dacouch

Bear the following in mind

When dealing with Insurers frontline staff bear in mind many will guess the answers and come up with answers such as if the car has no mot it's automatically not covered.

If you get someone who is adamant they're correct you either need the confidence / knowledge to overturn their arguements. If you're having problems try thanking them for their time and then try ringing back a bit later.

The most important thing is to remain polite but firm, if you start arguing it puts their backs up and their less likely to try and help.

Remember that the law of the land requires an Insurer to issue a Certificate of Insurance. This is a legal document that confirms what and who is covered by the policy for the requirements of the Road Traffic Act. As such what is on the certificate is what you are covered for in relation to third party cover which is the minimum level of cover you need to not receive a no insurance conviction.

If the Certificate says you're covered and it has not been cancelled by you or your Insurer then you're covered. The Insurer and the Police cannot decide on an alternative definition of the words on the certificate or add words / exclusions to what is on Certificate.

As it's a legal document declaring who / what's covered, for obvious reasons whatever it says on it is covered.

Once you understand what an important document the Certificate is and the statute law that requires it's existance and stipulates the relevant laws applying to it. You realise how what a powerful document it is and how the person at Admiral made a mistake.

I would recommend you read my the thread a few times so you understand the posts that have been made by others and me. The better you understand your position the better you will be able to present your case.

The court case I linked to (Pryor) is also worth reading a couple of times as parts of it are similar to your case and it shows how if the certificate says you're covered then you're covered. The most relevant parts of Pryor to read are 14, 16 & 17 which are very similar to your case and quite simply put mean that what the wording on the certificate is you're covered for in te eyes of the law

Is this fair? - concrete

Well done dacouch. A well put together piece of work and I am sure very much appreciated. I thought the whole thing was so simple. You have extened cover to drive other vehicles, within reason, on a temporary ad hoc basis provided they are fully insured and you have permission and they are not hired or leased to you etc etc. Pretty simple situation that has been well established through custom and practice over decades. All this business about suddenly trying to interpret every syllable of a policy is sheer nonesense and a road to madness. Doing that would mean a policy document would be larger than the encylopedia Brittanica!!

I hope the OP wins through. Cheers Concrete

Is this fair? - Razzy

I printed out and memorised all of dacouch's reponses, in case they tried to throw me a curve ball and/or wriggle their way out of it.

So I called Admiral customer services at 9:20 today and got through to a lovely lady.

I asked if there was anyone senior in underwriting I could speak to and explained why.

I was told that the underwriting department cant take calls so I explained the situation and that I was covered as per my certificate which is a legal document. She seemed unconvinced so I read them out and stated I met the criteria to be covered.

She then explained that the reason I was told it wasnt covered was due to it being a commercial policy so following the instruction from dacouch and after 10 minutes on hold I was told the underwriters agree I was indemnified and that I will have an email confirming this by 5pm today the very latest.

Yaaaaay! What a result. Thank you so much dacouch, God bless you!

Is this fair? - Razzy

The car was impounded on the Sunday and I was told by the 'vehicle recovery' part of the police that my wife couldn't claim the car back it as she was not the policy holder.

I needed to get it out ASAP as I was being charged an additional £20 a day, So my father in law had to drive 70 odd miles to meet up with me at the police station closest to where the car was impounded. This was on monday

I also had to take a day off work in order to meet my father in law at the police station and provide the 'offence' slip that the policeman gave me, which was required in order to get the car released.

The impound costs were £170

I had to catch a train and taxi back home after the car was impounded - costing £25

The petrol used to get the car released was £20

I had to take a day off work, costing £250 in loss of wages

Due to me taking a day off, my business lost approx £1000

My father in law has been medically advised to avoid long distance journeys, yet he also had to travel 70 miles there (then 70 miles back).

Not to mention all the stress it has caused!

As a matter of principle - is there any way to recoup these costs?

Would a complaint to Teeside Police with the officers badge number do anything in this regard?

Edited by Razzy on 28/01/2015 at 10:55

Is this fair? - RT

He was not using the car in connection with the motortrade, I assume he was using the car for private use.

If he was using the car in connection with the motortrade, the type of MT policy the father has would cover any driver who is driving in on the motor traders business so he would use that as confirmation he's covered.

That would have to be argued in court - and up to the court to decide whether a car specifically insured under a motor trade policy, and therefore used in connection with the motor trade actually severs that connection when being used by a motor trader's son-in-law?

Is this fair? - dacouch

If he was using the vehicle for his own purposes eg Social, Domestic or Pleasure or even commuting if his Admiral Policy includes it then he was not using the car in connection with Motor Trade.

Motor Trade use would be delivery, collection, test drives or collecting parts etc.

Going by your arguement, if I sent my car in to be serviced, the garage provided a courtesy car and told me to add it to my policy. I ring my Insurers and arrange a covernote / temporary cover then I would not be covered to drive that car as it belongs to a garage and therefore any use I put it to would be motor trade use and therefore my policy would not cover it.

The exclusion is there to exclude genuine motortrade use.

The OP from what he has indicated is not an employee of the garage he's simply married to the owners daughter who may also not actually work for the garage (He's not clarified the daughter's occupation).

(Premises) Garage policies frequently allow for close relations of the owners who do not work for the garage to be added as drivers. The car they drive is added.

I have customers whose close family are covered who do not work for the garage and have Class One Business for using the car in connection with their own business specified on the policy (With their own bespoke Certificate) for Nurses and Civil Servants etc etc

Is this fair? - dacouch

That's great news Razzy and I think you will get away with the speeding.

It pays to be polite when dealing with people.

Assuming they're sending you a "Letter of Indemnity" you need to take this down to the Police Station dealing with the matter and ideally speak to the senior officer. They will normally take a copy of the letter and pass it on for the pending conviction to be cancelled.

There's a strong chance they won't accept an email as these are easy to fake, I would suggest you ask Admiral to send you a hard copy on headed paper through the post. Ask them to ensure it's a "Letter of Indemnity" eg a letter confirming they would have paid any third party claims made against you at the time you were stopped.

Once you get the conviction sorted out, post back and we can help you recover the cost's of the seizure from Admiral.

Incidently the officer that stopped you will have a bee in his bonnet about you from now on so be careful when you're in his area.

Keep a copy of your certificate of Insurance with you or download an electronic copy to your phone. If you had been stopped and produced that at the time you were stopped the police would not have seized the car lawfully as per Pryor v Greater Manchester Police.

P.S I know this is mostly Admiral's fault, but it's nice to send an email thanking the lady who helped you out. It's a nice boost for them, they're more likely to help someone else in the future and the email is brought up when they have their appraisal. Just a quick thank you email for her help is good, don't go on to praise Admiral as you'll be making an "Official Complaint" about them to recover the seizure costs shortly. (An Official Complaint is a system in place from the Insurance regulators to make a complaint to an Insurer which they have to properly investigate)

Is this fair? - concrete

Very good result dacouch and razzy. The hoops we have to jump through just to prove innocence. But it does make them think twice about trying it on with some other poor schmuck. Admiral is your route to recover costs, but I fear loss of trade will not accepted, so hard to prove and open ended.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Concrete

Is this fair? - dacouch

I agree a loss of trade is very hard to substantiate and a claim for that amount is likely to put their backs up and also make them laugh.

By all means claim for the seizure costs and reasonable alternative transport costs.

Did you take the day off unpaid or as paid holiday?

Is this fair? - Razzy

I thought as much. Essentially I am a Dentist with my own practice. We regularly take 1k a day, without me there.....we took nothing.

I work 7 days a week, but invoice my company as a 'locum' as sometimes I work for them and sometimes for other companies. So it wouldn't count as a holiday as such.

Got the letter through from the Police, just waiting for Admirals letter to come in the post, should be here sometime early next week.

Is this fair? - dacouch

You can attempt to claim for all reasonable losses you've experienced, however you have a duty to mitigate your losses. So questions would be asked as to why you did not take a taxi into work or even use public transport if this was suitable.

Your boss will not have lost £1000 as he would have had to pay you out of the takings along with any other staff and overheads.

If you can substantiate your own losses via providing accounts if they wish to see them then you have a chance of recovering them.

Incidently I was not aware dentists worked seven days a week.

Once you've had the conviction waived, post up and we can tell you how to write to Admiral to recover the seizure costs

Is this fair? - Andrew-T

So if this were to come to a legal argument I doubt that it could stand up, as that is a meaninglessly small distance.

Is this fair? - Razzy

Update:

I sent off a letter from my father in law stating I had his permission to drive the car at the time, a letter of indemnity from Admiral and a copy of the 'conditional offer of a fixed penalty'. I also included a polite short paragraph as to why I was providing the evidence.

I rang the police station dealing with the enquiry around a month ago and they said that the 'head officer' was looking into my case but cannot do anything without the issuing officer's report.

Today I received a letter and it says:

"I have confirmed with the issuing officer the full details surrounding the issue of the notice and the paperwork has been checked. The information given in your letter has been carefully considered but I regret to inform you there are insufficient grounds to withdraw this notice"

It goes on to say I can requent a court hearing before Magistrates and contest the allegation or accept the 'conditional offer' of 6 points and a fine.

I'm confused here....they say I was driving without insurance yet I have provided proof I was insured at the time of the incident, there was even a number for them to ring admiral on the indemnity letter!

Looks like it's a court appearance for me then, lovely

Is this fair? - concrete

Hello Razzy, it looks like you have to take your proof to court. In which case it may pay you get a decent solicitor who knows about magistrates court procedure. I had a similar thing with Northampton Police, despite me sending them proof against the charges they just kept stonewalling and sending me standard letters, not addressing the issue.

Could be the same with you. Thick staff in the back office who either don't understand or don't want to understand. I took my paperwork to court on the day, got there early and collared the legal clerk to the court. He agreed with me my case was sound. He took the paperwork, agreed it with the CPS solicitor, but I still had to go into court. A no case to answer was submitted and I was discharged. All a rigmarole but unfortunately this is our system. Get your paperwork put together, check it carefully for holes, and go and defend yourself. You can ask for costs, but unlikely to be awarded any.

Best of luck

Concrete