Mercedes ML250 - Help....Fuel System Needs Replacing? - Mast

My 2012 ML250 has developed a fault where by it stalls occasionally when cold and idling at a junctions, usually before the ECO system has kicked in. It always re-starts first time. The problem has been happening for about 6 months but is very intermittent, nothing for a few days then 3 times in one journey until the car has wamed up.

The car has been in to the main dealer 4 times, they have tried various things but failed to find the problem. They have just rang to say there are iron-filings in the fuel, this is caused by the some part of the fuel system (pump?) breaking up and must have been due to a mis-fuel (i.e. I’ve put petrol in a diesel engine) and a lack of lubrication. They say this is the cause of the stalling and the Mercedes warranty is obviously therefore invalid.

I know the main dealer won't believe me but I'm 100% sure I haven't mis-fueled and therefore there must be another root cause. The car drives perfectly and I've had no other problems than the stalling.

Could there be another cause of the iron-filings/failure in the fuel system?

Can they just invalidate the warranty or do they have to prove mis-fueling?

I bought the car as an ex-demonstrator 18 months ago from the main dealer, could the mis-fuel have happened that long ago and only now be causing the problems?

One thing that I do wonder is whether it could be caused with contaminated or poor quality Diesel? I usually fill up with standard diesel at the local supermarket rather than a branded filling station.

Any advice appreciated, I fear a very large bill coming my way.

Thanks.

Mercedes ML250 - Help....Fuel System Needs Replacing? - quizman

I had a VW Passat diesel on demo several years ago. After a run the engine wouldn't restart very well, it took ages and nearly ran the battery down.

I bought a Passat in the end and asked what had been wrong with the demo car. They said someone had put petrol in by mistake, they also asked if I would like to buy the demonstator car. I said no!

So yes mistakes can and do happen on demonstrator cars. If you really have not put any petrol in by mistake, however little, keep on to the dealer to sort it out.

I do not use supermarket fuel, I use Shell Nitro in my 5 series. But supermarket fuel is perfectly OK to use.

Mercedes ML250 - Help....Fuel System Needs Replacing? - craig-pd130

The dealer cannot invalidate the warranty unless they can prove that you misfuelled it. You would know if you had ever misfuelled it as the engine would run very roughly and probably stall / refuse to run altogether.

If you have genuinely never misfuelled it (I don't mean this to sound accusatory) then one of two things has occurred.

1) The pump has failed under normal working conditions (which can happen), which means it's a warranty job and should be repaired at zero cost to you.

2) The car was misfuelled as a demonstrator, in which case it's the supplying dealer's problem, not yours.

Did you buy it from the dealer that is now investigating the fault? If so, and they continue down the "you misfuelled it" road, then stick to your guns, assert you have never used the wrong fuel, and counter-argue by asking how they can be certain it was never misfuelled during its time as a demo car.

Don't worry about using supermarket diesel. All fuel sold in the UK has to conform to minimum standards which meets Mercedes' requirements.

Mercedes ML250 - Help....Fuel System Needs Replacing? - Mast
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the car was bought from the main dealer that is investigating the fault.

I genuinely haven't mis-fuelled, I'd put my hands up if I had, but don't expect the main dealer to believe this which is frustrating.

I'm not in the know about these things, if the car was mis-fuelled before I bought it is it possible for it to be 12 months before I saw any symptoms?

I'm waiting for the Service Manager to call me on Monday to discuss this further.
Mercedes ML250 - Help....Fuel System Needs Replacing? - craig-pd130

It is possible that an early misfuelling incident could cause damage months later. What happens is as follows:

Modern diesel injection systems have a precision-made, ultra-high pressure pump on the engine which pressurises the injection system to around 30,000psi. This pump is lubricated by the diesel oil which passes through it.

If the pump gets a petrol / diesel mix as a result of misfuelling, it doesn't get properly lubricated, and the precision components can start scuffing together, which can then damage the special hardening on the components. Once this wear pattern starts, it will get quickly worse over time because the hardened surfaces are no longer smooth and will rub together, instead of sliding over each other. This puts metal fragments into the fuel system, causing further damage.

Keep us posted how you get on.