Bmw x4 - Non fault accident where do I stand - carwarr
Hi, I had a non fault motoring accident and the lady crashed into my 6 week old x4 causing about £10k worth of damage
They won't write it off, I don't want the car back I want it written off where do I stand, it was £47,000 new
Thanks

Edited by carwarr on 03/11/2014 at 15:07

Bmw x4 - Non fault accident where do I stand - brighteyes
If your insurance company consider it cost effective to repair the vehicle then that's what will happen. As it is almost certain it will be done by a "BMW approved" repairer and the warranty on the vehicle will not be affected I don't understand why you don't want it back as, it should be as good as new. Your only option that I can see is to sell or px it as soon as you get it back from the repairer, in theory you should get as much if not more than its write off value. If the insurance company had decided to write if off you wouldn't have got anything like the £47k you paid for it unless you had taken out a policy to cover the replacement vehicle cost.
It's a brand new model car with a 6 month waiting list so it could only be replaced with a new car like for like
Bmw x4 - Non fault accident where do I stand - dacouch

For a brand new car the OP would receive the full brand new replacement costs for an accident after six weeks of ownership unless they were with an Admiral group company in which case they would receive the market value eg with depreciation deducted

Bmw x4 - Non fault accident where do I stand - skidpan

Not your decision I am afraid. If the car is economically repairable (which it is from your figures) then the insurance will sort it.

If you don't want it after that you will simply have to sell it which will cost you £1,000's.

What's an X4 by the way. New model?, never heard of it.

Yes it's a new model car waited 4 months for it to then have it hit by a £200 polo!
So frustrating but now my car will not be the same and I think crash repair devalues it and it's not my fault, totally unfair in my opinion
Bmw x4 - Non fault accident where do I stand - RobJP

Agreed with the previous posts - it is up to your insurance company - if they say it is economical to repair it, then that is what happens. End of story.

Oh, and the X4 ... imagine an X3 that has been sat on by an elephant. A 4-door coupe version of an SUV. A boil-washed X6. Also (and I can say this without looking biased or bitter, because I've owned and driven various BMWs for the last 15 years or so), pretty damned hideous.

Oh, and the X4 ... imagine an X3 that has been sat on by an elephant. A 4-door coupe version of an SUV. A boil-washed X6. Also (and I can say this without looking biased or bitter, because I've owned and driven various BMWs for the last 15 years or so), pretty damned hideous.

Just Googled it. BMW must be having a laugh. As you say take an hideous X6 and boil wash it.

Love BMW's. A 3 series tourer could well be my Mrs next car. But what the hell do people want with a coupe version of an SUV.

I think crash repair devalues it

When you come to sell the car you will be asked if its been written off. The dealer will not be interested in the fact its been involved in an accident. You don't have to disclose an accident to a buyer, but you have to dsiclose if its been a write off.

Bmw x4 - Non fault accident where do I stand - FP

I agree with the others - the OP doesn't have a choice.

But even if it was written off - how much would he get? As soon as it was driven off the forecourt its value dropped significantly.

I get the feeling the OP wants his £47,000 back. Not going to happen, is it?

But even if it was written off - how much would he get? As soon as it was driven off the forecourt its value dropped significantly.

If the car had been written off and the OP was with a "reputable" insurer he would have got a replacement car, their only outlay would probably have been their excess. Most "reputable" insurers offer a new identical replacement vehicle if your car is written off within 12 months of registration. Some only offer this if you are the first registered keeper because its seen as unfair that the buyer of a 6 month old ex hire car should get a brand new identical motor if theirs was written off before it was a year old.

Bmw x4 - Non fault accident where do I stand - RobJP

Going a little bit off-topic here, Skidpan, but if you / Mrs Skidpan are thinking about the 3 series estate, then I can confirm that the 'new' F31 BMW 3 series estate is a massive improvement on the old E91. Even in M-sport trim with adaptive M sport suspension and silly 19" wheels, the ride is better, quieter, more pliable than the old 'SE' cars were on 16" or 17" wheels. HJ described the F30 as just about the best car he'd ever driven, and I thought he was exaggerating. After 18k miles in mine in the last 10 months, I can now say he wasn't.

Bmw x4 - Non fault accident where do I stand - daveyjp
£10k of damage won't get a £47k car written off. A friend has just had a £15k car written off which had £10k of damage, but that was touch and go.

He had new for old up to two years, but he didn't want another car like the one he had, so he has just been paid out and bought something else.