Nissan Qashqai, Honda HRV, or... - Latina

I have a long commute through built-up areas , and through narrow country lanes where nifty overtaking comes in handy. I need to change to an automatic from my current basic manual Honda Civic as I have developed stiffness and a restricted range of movement in my hips. I also have back and wrist problems with neck stiffness, difficulty twisting, and sore wrists.

I have tried a CR-V but worry that it might be too high to come down and out of.

The car needs to be big enough for the 4 of us, including 2 travel-sick prone teenagers, with lots of luggage space. (The Jazz is too Postman Pat-ish)

I don't like the poor visibility in the back of the Honda Civic. The seats are too low and slope down.

Heat helps my hips, so a heated driver's seat would be great.

Removable washable car seat covers would be a bonus. As would a boot without a lip and with a spare tyre. I only got the Civic last year, and my nearest Honda dealership is trying to induce me to get a new CR-V or an HRV. I don't know much about cars.

From what I could see on Honest John, the new HRV will rival the Nissan Qashqai as reliable, with upright seats and reliability.

Any suggestions on what I should buy?

Nissan Qashqai, Honda HRV, or... - KB.

I also like extra height for ease of access, mainly due to painful hips and knees, but have now become accustomed to the benefits of slightly better visibility sitting higher as well.

Out of interest I recently sat in the new VW Golf SV...a slightly bigger Golf with higher seating. Disappointed that the drivers seat wasn't as high as my Yeti, which, even after three years, is most pleasing to drive given it's (for me) ideal driving height and ease of access and also I can see the end of the bonnet...which you can't on most others. There feels as though there's space around you in the front seats of the Yeti and the big square windows allow great visibility to the sides and rear. There's a wealth of debate though regarding the automatic box in the Yeti. Mine has it (it's called DSG) and I love it. (INote for pedants: Iknow it's strictly speaking an automated manual but for the purposes of this post I'm gonna stick with"automatic"). Regarding the shape of it, you either like it or you don't.

I sat in a Dacia Duster and a Hyunda ix35 and didn't feel as comfortable in either as I do in mine, but both have extra height.

To be honest, there are loads of high riding cars to choose from and others will have their recommendations. As you're limited to automatic I suggest you learn a bit about the differences between a conventional "torque converter" gearbox versus the "CVT" type of auto (as on the new Qashqai) versus the "automated manual" such as Ford's "Powershift" and the Volkswagen group's" DSG". And check the emissions (tax band) and mpg of some of the higher riding automatics...they vary a lot

I will certainly look at the HRV when it comes out in 2015 but, for now we can only speculate how it will feel in the flesh. Presumably a bit like a shrunken CRV? or a Jazz on stilts? I found the Mazda CX5 and the Honda CRV and the Toyota RAV4 felt a bit too big compared to mine but the forthcoming HRV is about the same length so it might appeal a bit more in town, re. parking etc. For reliabilty and good customer service you might want to stick to Honda if you're not sure about the others. The new Qashqai has connections with Renault (as did the old one) which might put some off but it gets good reviews and the one I recently went in was fine, albeit, a bit more flashy looking than mine..... but they're all going that way , I fear. If you want auto you'd have to check you liked the CVT gearbox in the Nissan.

There's loads to choose from and bit of homework is required but see the reviews (Car by Car) on this site which will help.

Edited by KB. on 20/10/2014 at 19:04

Nissan Qashqai, Honda HRV, or... - Avant

Comfort is a very personal thng, and your only realistic answer is to go to some showrooms and sit in various cars. It isn't just a matter of height; it's also the horizontal distance from door sill to seat.

SWMBO has an arthtitic knee but has no trouble getting into and out of my Octavioa estate, nor her Mini Roadster. But when I had a Yeti as a courtesy car she didn't like the step up at all - whereas it might suit you.

I dont think that the Yeti and Qashqai are as high up as a CR-V, so they might suit: also try the Ford Maxes, B, C or S depending on what size you want. I once tried a C-Max and liked the driving position. The Citroen Picasso is worth a look, although it may be a little wallowy for your teenagers.

Nissan Qashqai, Honda HRV, or... - daveyK_UK

Current shape Citroen Berlingo mutispace / Peugeot Partner Tepee or Ford Tourneo Connect

Nissan Qashqai, Honda HRV, or... - xtrailman

The CRV is getting a 9 speed zf auto next year along with a new 1.6 diesel with the same power as the old 2.2, it could be slightly more power can't rember.

If you want japanese and auto that would be my choice.

My CX-5 has more power and torque but only a six speed auto, and a stiffer ride, upside is better handling than the CRV.

High riding cars are actually better for disabled or age people to get in and out, i found that out with the wifes parents,

Nissan Qashqai, Honda HRV, or... - John Boy

Depending on the person, this is really quite complex.

Xtrail man mentions "high riding", which I take to mean high seats. That means you don't have to bend your legs too much to lower yourself into the car.

Avant refers to "door sill to seat" distance. I take that to mean how high you have to raise your foot to get it in the car once you're seated.

I think the height of the roof is important too. If it's too low, you have to bend your upper body too much.

My other half has Parkinson's and is used to our Vauxhall Agila B/Suzuki Splash. I saw her crack her head recently getting into a Qashqai. My perception is that so-called "crossovers" are virtually jacked-up saloons. What a shame those little side elevation drawings, which you get in car brochures, don't have the doors missing so that you could measure these various factors.

I'm not recommending an Agila B or Splash to the OP. It's clearly too small, but it's probably a useful benchmark for disabled access.

I've a suspicion Avant may have meant the width of the sill, as in how much horizontal distance your foot has to travel to span the sill. Cumulatively of course your foot has to raise up higher than the sill, then across the width of the sill then down to the carpet....more tricky than you might think if your hips or knees are creaking and paining you...and then you do the same in reverse,of course and made harder if the sill is deeper than average. I admit my Yeti is a fair distance across but was struck at the distance on the Dacia Duster and also on a Hyundai ix35 I sat in recently, so maybe it's a point to focus on. I do recall how easy I found it to get in and out of the Suzuki Splash in the dealer's showroon car and then contrasted it with the Swift that was next to it which had, for me at least, much less room for manouvre and, of course, a lower seating position than the Splash. I am aware of the drop down (and across) from my car and the fact that the back of your trouser leg gets muddy from rubbing on the sill if it's a wet day.

I do hope the OP will respond in time to the thoughts offered here.

Comments above noted re the new engine and auto box in the CRV. I wish it wasn't quite so long though (can't get it in the garage without taking out the, rather useful, k****** storage units and worktop etc.

EDIT...just spotted that the "k" word is not permitted - obviously due to the spammers advertising the aforementioned cupboards, cabinets, worktops and sink etc that you fit in the room where food is prepared and cooked. :-)

Edited by KB. on 22/10/2014 at 02:59

Nissan Qashqai, Honda HRV, or... - madf

Ricability for door width, depth dimensions...

www.rica.org.uk/content/car-search

Nissan Qashqai, Honda HRV, or... - xtrailman

It was a T30 xtrail that was ideal for the inlaws, mother in law approached the seat bum first it was just the right height for her to slide onto the seat and then turn, she needed a stick to get around.

Father in law couldnt bend his legs and had parkinsons he found the xtrail easier after the Audi A4 Avant, with that car it was painful to just watch him get into the car.

Thanks for that link, Ma*** The details given for various cars are very comprehensive, but I find it hard to imagine anyone wading through them to choose a car. I thought about the drawings I mentioned above overlaid on each other to make comparisons, but seat adjustments make that difficult too. As I said, it's very complex. There's certainly scope for someone to make a video which illustrates the factors involved. Maybe there is one?

Incidentally, I meant to say jacked-up "cars", rather than "saloons".

John

I use it by getting my own car dimensions - I know where the problems are for my wife.. entry and exit due to hip ops...and ensure cars I look at have more space there...

"I use it by getting my own car dimensions - I know where the problems are for my wife.. entry and exit due to hip ops...and ensure cars I look at have more space there..."

Yes, that's what I would do for the next car, but it felt as if we came at this problem from nowhere. I seem to remember being very influenced by HJ's video review of the Splash. I've looked again at the RICA website. The photos and descriptions of the problems are excellent, but the whole issue cries out for a video.

"I've a suspicion Avant may have meant the width of the sill, as in how much horizontal distance your foot has to travel to span the sill."

That's right KB. It's your feet and also to some extent your hips. I was useless at sports in my youth, so I'm glad to ssay that at 66 my hips and knees are fine - but I can imagine that the movements that you have to make at the same time when getting into and out of a car can be quite a problem if some of your joints are stiff.

Thanks for coming back with that, Avant. I would never have thought that's what you meant. Perhaps I haven't got in and out of enough different cars. As I said, the whole issue is very complex and difficult to cover with words and photos alone.

To expand, my wife has dodgy hips and limited mobility so entry is :

place bottom on seat, swivel hips and legs through door opening - limited knee bending only. Feet foul on door,

Exiting, swivel feet out..pivoting on bottom.

So low car seat and small door clearance means feet foul on door or A post..

Basically rules out most normal cars.. her Mark 1 Yaris is OK, Honda Jazz less so. She really needs a big 4x4... which she would not drive!

Edit I still do yoga at 67 ( and exercises) so no issues at all....... yet

Edited by madf on 23/10/2014 at 07:58

Looking a bit like yet another post where someone asks a question, gets an enthusiastic response and that's the last you see of them.

Bit disheartening.

Bit disheartening.

True. On the other hand, I've gained in knowledge by contributing to the topic and I'm grateful for that.

Looking a bit like yet another post where someone asks a question, gets an enthusiastic response and that's the last you see of them.

Bit disheartening.

Not at all.. They may be working, ill , on holiday, or just naturally rude and pig ignorant.

Nissan Qashqai, Honda HRV, or... - Mike H

Not at all.. They may be working, ill , on holiday, or just naturally rude and pig ignorant.

Nice to find someone with such a positive and forgiving attitude towards others.

Nissan Qashqai, Honda HRV, or... - Latina
Thanks everyone , for so many extensive replies.
I shall look up the various models, and try some in car showrooms.
I didn't understand the technical talk about torques, but appreciate your efforts.
Life is too busy for me, and likely to remain so for a while.
So I may not post again for several months.

Thanks for coming back to us. Please ignore the last few words of madf's post: if he's a gentleman he'll post again and apologise.

I hope you'll find the time to come back and tell us how you get on with your car search: it seems there are quite a few people reading this who have (or whose family have) similar problems - with which I can only sympathise. With hip problems and a long commute, comfort is clearly vital, so make sure you get long test drives in any car you try.

I'm no mechanic and certainly can't explain torque in any technical way - but broadly, torque is pulling power, and the stronger the torque the better a car is at pulling away from low revs (as opposed to some engines, notably those in Italian cars, which are only at their best at high revs).

Good luck!

Edited by Avant on 02/11/2014 at 15:16