IAM Training. - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Had nothing to do in the morning yesterday and it was dry so went along for some IAM training in Kent.

Not a very good session.

Got introduced to some new roads and some new people which was nice but the training itself wasn't entirely helpful.

I made two kamakaze overtakes. In both case I'd overtaken a single car realised I had plenty of maintained speed and made a second overtake way to close to left hand corners. Not very clever but I knew I'd done it. (You can imagine how the second one happened - after getting critisism for overtake number one I overtook everything in sight to prove I *could* overtake safely...)

The problem was after thses incidents I was marked down for everything you can extrapolate from bad overtakes.

Lack of forward vision, road positioning and a host of other stuff. On a list of 24 categories I was unnacceptable [1] on 13.

Funnisest of the lot was the 'appearence' section. I actually failed to meet test standards. It seems I'm too ugly for my IAM test. ;-)

So I'm a little miffed. I suspect they give folks bad marks deliberately in early runs to be able to show they've improved people but someone with less experience and thinner skin than me could be seriously put off.

Ironically my mirror work was comended despite the fact I know it's a failing of mine.

To cap it off the instructor made two test failing faults. Didn't have the nerve to mention it...

All my other runs have been ok-ish (not perfect - I'm only human, well reptile) but Kamakaze overtakes have been mentioned before. (But without extrapolating from that that just about every area of my riding is shakey)

So all in all a positive experience but I don't feel I learned anything this time. Although normally I don't learn much. If I do something wrong I tend to know it before I've done it - just can't resist the temptation...

Incidently one thing I was told was definately wrong:

NSL 60 past parked cars (off th eroad but doors could be swung into the carriageway) and a concealed junction. I eased off to 50 and positioned the bike 1 foot right of the centre line.

I was told I could have moved to the extreme right of the other carriageway and maintained speed.

I say b*ll*cks. An extra 4 feet right wouldn't have made enough difference to pagger past a concealed entrance and parked cars at top whack. I could see the cars were empty but anything could have come out of the entrance and a moron could easly have stepped from behind the cars.

Still a good larf.

[1] Not just failing to meet test standard actually unacceptable.

--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
IAM Training. - matt35 {P}
Toad,

Sounds like some of your habits are a bit ingrained?
I have had from 18 year olds to 72 year olds pass the IAM test - some took a bit longer than others - and all of them commented on how much more relaxed and enjoyable thier driving became after the course - and safer!

Do another few hours - the Observer can only judge you on your drive on the day - we are trained to finish on an encouraging note where possible , from Day 1.

Not sure about your comment on 'appearance' as this is not part of our groups' Observed Drive Report Form.

Keep at it - even if just out of b***** mindedness -and let us know when you pass?

Regards,

Matt35
Sounds like some of your habits are a bit ingrained?

Yes... ...and there are some I won't give up! I don't mind being told about those though.
I have had from 18 year olds to 72 year olds
pass the IAM test - some took a bit longer than
others - and all of them commented on how much more
relaxed and enjoyable thier driving became after the course - and
safer!

To be honest I love the training. I can't honestly say I've been told anything I didn't already suspect about my riding and I'm afraid I havne't yet changed the way I do anything. However I do thoroughly enjoy it and it is at least a ride out with some good blokes.
Do another few hours - the Observer can only judge you
on your drive on the day - we are trained
to finish on an encouraging note where possible , from Day

Don't get me wrong the atmousphere was fine. I personally liked the guy and I'm sure he warmed to the Toad charm! I will keep going although it's unlikely I'd be able to string enough observed runs together to pass the advanced test. I'm sur eI'm quite capable of doing it in time though.
Not sure about your comment on 'appearance' as this is not
part of our groups' Observed Drive Report Form.

It wasn't an issue, just made me larf! Too ugly to train!!! ;-) We were all wearing the same kit so I can't have been too bad!!!
Keep at it - even if just out of b***** mindedness

I hope I haven't come across as negative. I had a great time. Just relating my experiences!
--
IAM Training. - MikeC
Matt, are you an observer then? I've just joined my local group and will hopefully be allocated an observer soon, is the Drive Report Form available on the web? - I would like to gen-up on what they are looking for. Thanks

Mike
IAM Training. - MikeC
opps forgot to say for car not bike.
IAM Training. - TrevorP
Mike -

The review at the end of each chapter of Roadcraft is what you want.
IAM Training. - TrevorP
Ooops - too ambitious.

Just read and understand Chapter 2.
Chapter 2: "the System".
--
Mike,

I am an Observer and have a stack of report forms but am not aware of these being on the web - maybe Mark has a way of putting us in touch by phone or e mail offsite? and I can mail you a copy - or ask someone in your Group for a copy..you will get one after every drive.

As Trevor advises, read Roadcraft - your Group may have library copies of the Roadcraft video, which I find very useful.

Our Group use 'Pass Your Advanced Driving Test' £7.99 from the IAM as our basic book - you also need 'Know Your Traffic Signs' (Dept of Transport) and a current Highway Code - check with your Group - we have a sales library at reduced prices.

Welcome to the club - maybe you will have your own supply of Observer forms later in the year? Observing is interesting and, apart from helping new Associates, it keeps your own driving up to scratch - I hope.

Regards,

Matt35.

Mike,

Think I have found what you asked...go to www.iam.org.uk/groups/chelmsford

Go to page 'what is advanced driving'...scroll to the PINK headings...these are almost exactly the items from the report form...on the actual form these headings are then graded one to five with individual comments such as excellent/adequate/needs work/poor/no attempt.

Hope this helps,

Matt35.
IAM Training. - Mark (RLBS)
Mike/Matt,

If one of you e-mails me I will forward it to the other.

Mark.
IAM Training. - MikeC
Guys, thanks for the advice. I've had a look at the Chelmsford site and have read & hopefully! digested PYADT, haven't got Roadcraft yet. I'll wait until I meet my observer to get the report so no need to email a copy. I did get my sister to comment on my driving on the way to and from work but she soon got bored of that!! For now I'm concentrating on improving my worst habits - steering badly, poor mirror use & driving on auto-pilot.

Thanks
Mike.