Ford Focus Ghia 2002 - 1.8 tdci - Flashing Glow PluG Light - PaulG1980

Hello and Help Please,

I bought a 2002 Ford Focus Ghia 1.8 tdci on 02 plate with 87500 miles on clock from a local dealer in Doncaster last week (Tuesday). When i went to view and test drive the car it all seemed great and i was very happy to part with £1395 for what i thought was a great car.

Then Wednesday the problems started. I had been to the petrol station (Morrisons) to fill up with diesel and parked the car outside my house on the road for around 4 or 5 hours. I then went to pull the car onto the drive and the glow plug light started flashing. I turned off engine and restarted and problem went away.

On Thirsday I had to make a shortish trip (around 40 miles round trip). I started the car in the morning and pulled away and stopped at the traffic lights before entering a large roundabout. The glow plugs light started flashing again and went into 'limp mode' and i just managed to get home. Once home i turned the engine off again and restarted. All was fine and I made the 40 mile round trip with no further problems.

Car was then stood for around 4 or 5 hours again and I went to nip to the shops and again the same problem with the flashing glow plug light. Friday i took it back to the dealer to be sorted. They have said 'oh it was just the turbos were blocked so have put a diesel engine cleaner in the fuel and it has sorted it'.

From reading the posts on here i doubt this would solve the issue or could it be as simple as this? I am due to pick the car up again tomorrow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Ford Focus Ghia 2002 - 1.8 tdci - Flashing Glow PluG Light - 3puddings

First thing is that I would take it to annother garage and get them to carry out a diagnostic report on the car, it will cost about £50 but well worth it. A main dealer may be more expensive. but they will also do this and it will give you some clout.

I have 2004 1.6TDCi focus and getting a diagnostic report early on would have saved me a pile of hassle with the dealer later on when the fuel injectors went just 2 weeks after the 6 month warranty period was up.

The diesel fuel cleaner was probabally something like redex which cleans the injectors apparentley, though if it is a glow plug warning indicator then I would ask them to replace them politeley.

Also Read up on the Sale of Goods Act too

Ford Focus Ghia 2002 - 1.8 tdci - Flashing Glow PluG Light - PaulG1980

Thanks for the reply.

I am guessing then that the addition of redex will only be a temporary fix then if it works at all.

I might add i have bought RAC cover as need to travel 60 miles tomorrow so i am half expecting it to give up the ghost on the motorway.

Bit scary when you have only been driving for 4 weeks!!