Vauxhall Astra Sporthatch - Reversed out of the driveway but driver side...? - Johnman102

Hello

I am concerned on what had happened since I done it few times.

My driveway has 3 cars including mines. I reversed out of my drive way about 1-5mph and I didn't turn the wheel to the left which the driver side(front and rear) of the tyres ended up backed out from the driveway kerb then pavement kerb which I'm worried if I damaged the car tyre or suspension/car/alignment/steering wheel. When I had backed out from the kerb my car bounced hard as it was leaving from the kerb to the tarmac.

The picture circled in yellow is a rough indication of where my driver side reversed from the property and pavement kerb

The car is a astra 2010 H 3dr hatchback.

i57.tinypic.com/2r5uwjs.jpg

Edited by Johnman102 on 08/09/2014 at 12:45

Vauxhall Astra Sporthatch - Reversed out of the driveway but driver side...? - skidpan

Don't worry. Car suspension and tyres are very robust and can cope with most of the hazzards thrown at them. Mounting a kerb at parking speed. is hardly going to tax either.

Vauxhall Astra Sporthatch - Reversed out of the driveway but driver side...? - gordonbennet

Should reverse in and drive out whenever possible, preferably with the wheels not at too shallow and angle so you don't pinch the sidewall against the edge of the wheel.

From your post this faster drop isn't your normal driving so i wouldn't worry about damage for the odd occurence, if the car bounced enough to do damage then i suspect the underbelly of the car would have hit the kerb, you'd have felt that (its unmistakeable) and you'd be poke nosing underneath to see if anything was damaged.

People do worse to their cars all the time, flying over speed ramps and pot holes, drving hard up onto kerbs etc, then mutter about poor quality when they find they have broken springs, leaking shockers and pregnant tyres.

Vauxhall Astra Sporthatch - Reversed out of the driveway but driver side...? - Johnman102

I am a bit worried as I done it a few times and because my car has lowered suspension as standard as its a sporthatch.

When I mean the tyre bounced hard is when it was coming off from the kerb and landing on tarmac road which scares me of damaging the car suspension/tyres/steering wheel/shock absorbers/track rod/car components.

Vauxhall Astra Sporthatch - Reversed out of the driveway but driver side...? - bathtub tom

>>I am a bit worried as I done it a few times

Then stop doing it, learn to stop worrying about it, or get a car that you can do it in without worrying!

Vauxhall Astra Sporthatch - Reversed out of the driveway but driver side...? - gordonbennet

Are you winding us up (my bet), do the brakes not work, can you not control the car's descent to the road from the kerb?

If you want to drive fast off kerbs regularly get yourself a proper 4 x 4 shod with 70 or 80 aspect tyres on long travel soft springs, your back and fillings will thank you.

Vauxhall Astra Sporthatch - Reversed out of the driveway but driver side...? - mss1tw

Was this you?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iv8IRH3txE