Ford Fusion 04 - Leaking coolant, 1.4 Duratec (Fiesta/Fusion) Help! - Pabby1980

Hi all,

I have a coolant leak. It is actually leaking from underneath the car when the car is hot. The drops of water /coolant are dripping from the aluminium exhaust surround (heat guard whatever) on the passenger side of the car towards the front, so basically somewhere inbetween the handbrake and the middle of the passenger seat, but underneath.

The car is not overheating, and I would say it is probably losing about 150ml of coolant before it stops dripping.

Could this be a thermostat, or simply a burst pipe somewhere?

The only other thing to mention is that the coolant reservoir seemed to be bubbling slightly from underneath, as if air was being pushed in, and also hissing a bit. It seems to me as a total layman that there is a leak somewhere in the cooling system, but I want to be as clued up as I can before I take it in to get looked at.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Paul

Ford Fusion 04 - Leaking coolant, 1.4 Duratec (Fiesta/Fusion) Help! - RobJP

At a guess, a pipe is starting to perish, or a joint is rusting. The pipes will now be 10 years old, so not really surprising if they were perishing, and if the coolant isn't changed (as regularly happens) eventually the rust inhibitors will degrade/be used up.

Ford Fusion 04 - Leaking coolant, 1.4 Duratec (Fiesta/Fusion) Help! - bathtub tom

First of all, are you sure this isn't air-con condensate?

However you say the reservoir has bubbling in it. I'd be suspicious of a head gasket problem. Do you need to top up your coolant regularly? If so, it may well be worth your while getting a 'sniff test' done.

Ford Fusion 04 - Leaking coolant, 1.4 Duratec (Fiesta/Fusion) Help! - elekie&a/c doctor

As above,sounds like a/c condensate if it is clear colour.If is is pink,then this will be coolant.Simple test is to taste it .If it is sweet,then it is coolant.

Ford Fusion 04 - Leaking coolant, 1.4 Duratec (Fiesta/Fusion) Help! - bathtub tom

>>.Simple test is to taste it .If it is sweet,then it is coolant.

Careful! I did that once, think it was cat pee!

Ford Fusion 04 - Leaking coolant, 1.4 Duratec (Fiesta/Fusion) Help! - Galaxy

>>.Simple test is to taste it .If it is sweet,then it is coolant.

Careful! I did that once, think it was cat pee!

:) :) :) :)

I like it!

Ford Fusion 04 - Leaking coolant, 1.4 Duratec (Fiesta/Fusion) Help! - The-Mechanic

I like it!

What, you like cat pee ???? Ewwwwwww ;-)