7 seater MPV - Child restraint not allowed in the middle seat ?!? - upsydaisy005

We are in search of a new car which can fit 3 child car seats in the second row. I want a 7 seater MPV to have some extra seats, husband prefers a big estate. Anyway we both assumed that fitting the 3 seats was a matter of available space rather than regulations or safety, until I saw that for the new Zafira Tourer the manual expressly prohibits installing even a booster on the middle seat. Kind of takes away the purpose of this car, really!

Anyone saw this on any other "family" cars? Apart from the obvious safety concern I am worried there may be some catch for the insurance etc if you go ahead and put 3 seats against the manufacturers advice. We are considering Seat Alhambra, VW Sharan, Ford S Max, Peugeot 5008, Renault Grand Espace, or perhaps Kia Carens. Would be grateful for your experience and advice!

7 seater MPV - Child restraint not allowed in the middle seat ?!? - Happy Blue!

I have had a Ford S-Max for four years and 40,000 miles. Bought it at 11 months old and 11,000 miles from Ford Direct. Very very happy with it. Its a great drive, very comfortable and offers flexible internal arrangements. The only non-service item I have had to replace was a shock absorber a month ago. I highly recommend them.

7 seater MPV - Child restraint not allowed in the middle seat ?!? - upsydaisy005

Thank you, I've heard lots of good things about it so we will have a test drive next week I think. It sounds like you've got a great deal on yours. My hubby though is suspicious of the second hand cars that get sold on soon as he thinks it's because there is a problem! We were looking at a few second hand ones and all of them were problematic, worse of all, the dealers (like Evans Halshaw) were trying to disguise the leaks!

7 seater MPV - Child restraint not allowed in the middle seat ?!? - Sulphur Man

These '5+2' cars are not the all-purpose cars they often purport to be.

The +2 seats are usually too small for most adults. When they're up the boot is then too small to carry the buggies and the accessories for the three small children sitting in the middle seats.

That said, if it works for you, check out the Toyota Verso, especially the 1.8 petrol with the V-Matic auto gearbox. It's a very stress-free and comfortable car (important with young children in the back), with a long warranty and Toyota's generally excellent after-sales customer service

If the 'usable boot or 7 seats' opinion above has got you thinking, then check out the Honda FR-V, the best MPV of recent years, but I'm biased ;-)

Edited by Sulphur Man on 18/06/2014 at 11:45

Great, I haven't tried these two yet, will check them out. FRV I think is not sold new anymore, one of my fiends who wanted it told me... And we are definitely thinking of petrol as we live in London and it's stop-start driving always :)

Thank you!

7 seater MPV - Child restraint not allowed in the middle seat ?!? - Avant

This is a matter of the car's width: some just haven't got it. The Ford S-Max should be wide enough: you could also look at the Citroen C4 Picasso and various Peugeots. I think the 308 SW and 3008 as well as the 5008 may have space for three child seats. So of course will the big MPVs like the ones you mention.

Do let us know how you get on: this is a question which is often asked and an up-to-date idea of what's currently on the market would be very useful.

7 seater MPV - Child restraint not allowed in the middle seat ?!? - Happy Blue!

My hubby though is suspicious of the second hand cars that get sold on soon as he thinks it's because there is a problem!

Bear in mind that some cars are manufacturer owned cars for their staff and then they sell them off at sub 12 months old to put decent quality second had cars onto the forecourts of their dealers. Mine had every possible extra cost item fitted, (presumably for some high up manager), but was still only 60% off the list price. It was a Ford owned car until I bought it. So it's not there is a problem with the car if it is new and up for sale at a main dealer.

Good to know Happy Blue! We have been looking at around 3 year old cars and they are discounted at about 50-55% of the initial price, but had a fair amount of wear already, or some hidden issues.

I think we have a few test drives ahead :)