Ford Focus - Front brake discs - jimjamyaha

Hi,

I've been told that the front discs on my Ford Focus are fine on the outside but are getting worn on the inside surface (i.e facing inwards towards the car rather than the face you can normally see).

There did seem to be some lipping on this internal face.

A bit confused as I though that the pads were only on the outside and wear was at this point rather than on the inside of the discs. Happy to be corrected :)

Thanks.

Edited by jimjamyaha on 29/04/2014 at 13:04

Ford Focus - Front brake discs - skidpan

On every car with disc brakes there are pads both on the inside and outside of the disc. The calipers squeeze the pads onto the disc. In a perfect world the inner and outer pad and the dics should ear perfectly evenly, they rarely do. The manufacturer will quote a wear limit for the disc, easy enough to measure with a suitable vernier..

Ford Focus - Front brake discs - gordonbennet

Discs should wear reasonably evenly both sides, suspect possible partially seizing or stuck caliper sliders or sticking piston, so the inside of the disc (caliper piston side) is possibly doing most of the stopping.

Ford Focus - Front brake discs - Cyd

If the pads are wearing unevenly on the inside face then check for a sticking piston and guide pins.Though I've found [empirically] that with sticky pins it's is usually the outside pad that wears more. Also check the guides where the back plates fit into the caliper and clean off any crud and corrosion.

Check the thickness of the disc if you have a ridge. As a guide, if there is less than 1.5mm more than the minimum specified thickness then fit new discs and pads (not enough meat left on the discs at this point to last a new set of pads).

Decent quality discs are cheap enough that it's not worth trying to eek out an extra set of pads on worn ones. Check out Premier Factors in Walsall, they have an eBay shop and I got my Mintex pads and discs for my 9-3 Aero from them for under a ton, delivered next day. Focus ones will be much cheaper than that (more common car and smaller discs).

Ford Focus - Front brake discs - gordonbennet

Thanks for the tip Cyd, and in return here's another one.

e-parts-store, also an ebay shop, supplied Mintex discs and pads all round for the Outback for £134 all in, couldn't get anywhere near that from me usual Pagid supplier, bedded in now, excellent.

Ford Focus - Front brake discs - elekie&a/c doctor

Just replaced the front discs and pads on my Focus,used Apec brand from local factors,£50 the lot,inc vat.Make sure the pads are free to slide on the carrier,this is the most common issue with Focus brakes.Just noticed they give a 2 year warranty on parts.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 29/04/2014 at 21:00