Mpv - Any car buying suggestions? - zaly
I've fallen in love with the Fiat Multipla (facelift model), I know I have unique taste ;0) however I'm not so keen on the insurance group and mpg. I really should buy an economical supermini as most of my driving is round town with my 5 year old but I just don't like them! A mpv would also be useful for holidays and towing our Dandy. So I've completely confused myself and torn between two options. Does anyone have any recommendations for an economical mpv that's a bit special like the multipla and around that size (I.e not too long)? Budget of around 3k but could stretch this for the right car. Is it just not possible? Thanks for any ideas you may have!
Mpv - Any car buying suggestions? - Happy Blue!

Honda Stream

Honda FRV

Thanks Happy Blue! For the suggestions. Unfortunately the Stream base model comes out a higher insurance category, and both have lower mpg.
Mpv - Any car buying suggestions? - daveyK_UK

Fiat Qubo

Mpv - Any car buying suggestions? - gordonbennet

Well, you've got the Multipla's equally odd looking cousin Doblo, but the obvious alternatives are Berlingo/Partner and Reno Kangoo Combi, and worth checking on Caddy too, Caddy is available in Maxi spec too, which is a superb design having a mssive boot, but considerably longer.

All the above are good vehicles IMO, being van based they were designed to work hard without breaking and be as reasonably simple as current overlegislation allows, the only thing i would avoid are any automated manual or twin clutch versions.

Thank you for all the ideas! Off to research :0)

Mpv - Any car buying suggestions? - johnnyrev
We considered a Multipla before we bought our first Doblo a few years ago. I think we liked the quirky looks as well! But actually it wasn't that big inside, the boot particularly wasn't huge and sitting three abreast seemed quite tight. Also the Multipla is very wide which is awkward for town driving and for car parks.

The Doblo on the other hand is quite narrow and has a huge boot! It's taller than the Multipla as well which we really enjoyed, and the height means it's really spacious inside. And the Eleganza model which we had as our second Doblo, was quite posh inside and reasonably well equipped.

Having said all that neither Doblo proved very reliable and we now have a Yaris Hybrid and prefer the smooth, quiet ride and good economy to the quirky looks, the space and the high ride of the Doblo!
Yes I think the boot space isn't that big in the multipla really. I loved the 3 front seats though as the middle one would suit our 5 year old down to the ground! He's small enough to fit perfectly! I am trying to let go of Mulipla dreams.

Quite excited about the 1.6HDi Berlingo. I love the styling, good on board equipment, ins grp 12, £130 tax and 53mpg. Hoping it might work out more reliable than your Doblo's though johnnyrev!

Bromp's your Berlingo man he'll be along to give the low down any minute i suspect.

For what its worth i found them a good solid motor with plenty of low revved torque, huge square mirrors with excellent visiblity and good to drive, far better than the equivalent engine in other vehicles IMO, PSA group sensibly saw fit to upgrade the rear brakes to disc but thankfully shied away from the joke electric parking brake as found in otherwise similar C4 Grand Picasso.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/04/2014 at 21:43

I can also reccomend the latest shape Berlingo multi space / Peugeot partner tepee.

I do think you would be impressed with a Fiat Qubo, masses of space in a relativly small package.

All of ours have proven 100 percent reliable so far.

I also have found the latest Doblo to be good and a massive improvement on the previous Doblo.

Thanks again for the advice/recommendations, it's really helpful! With my budget of 3 - 4 k the latest models will be out, and previous models only falling within my affordability range. Daveyk_uk I've had another look at the Qubo but out of budget sadly - also there doesn't seem to be any for sale within a 200 mile radius of me.
Mpv - Any car buying suggestions? - JOHNTHED0G

We has DPF problem with our Doblo, gearbox a bit "difficult" but other than that we really like the car....looking for a similar but in an Auto...

Just seen an 08 1.3 diesel family Doblo, it is lovely!! Double the budget though so would require finance which I'd prefer not to get really. Difficult decisions.
Just seen an 08 1.3 diesel family Doblo, it is lovely!! Double the budget though so would require finance which I'd prefer not to get really. Difficult decisions.

Have no idea about this particular car but the one you mention sounds way overpriced unless its barely been used, have a look at ebay 360826567291 for comparison purposes.

Wow! Thank you, I hadn't done much research on pricing up the Doblo as I hadn't been able to find one locally. The 08 plate has done 58000 so definitely not hardly used! The garage offer lots of warranty and monthly cleaning which I suppose is what the price premium pays for but still steep after seeing that! I'm a bit dubious of their lifetime warranty too as he wasn't keen to show me T&C's.

Zaly, not being critical here, but have you driven a 1.3 Diesel?

I found them OKish but with such a small engine even in a Panda they have no torque whatsoever until the turbo spins up to put some air into the engine, therefore anything below say 1800rpm forget it, nothing wrong with that as such so long you don't expect the lazy drive offered by a 1.9 Diesel (Your Multipla?) and are prepared to drive it to suit continually, thay can be frustrating if your're lazy like me..:-)

You have to drive these small Diesels in the power band, just suggesting that you try and get some test drives in these different vehicles and make sure its a proper test drive not the nice easy route the sales bod will try to use, and do some manoeuvering too.

Best of luck, i hope you find a good one whatever you choose.

Tbh I've never even owned a Diesel car before and haven't test driven many either. I was worried about the 1.3 engine but reassured by the salesman - trying to flog me the car of course!
I've gotten so confused that I'm really now searching to find what I like, then going from there to look at all the other factors. I really appreciate your input gordonbennett.
The 1.3 appeals because of the low insurance grp & tax but there is always a downside! so many things to factor in!

All i can advise you is to read as much as you can, both here and on indpendent make/model specific forums.

No amount of research is ever wasted before you've parted with your hard earned, indeed its those who fail to research prior to buying who live to regret their car choices.

Don't get too tied up on VED, the difference between £30 and £130 is nothing in the annual running costs of a vehicle, indeed the £100 difference you would gladly pay ten times over to have the right car.

Similarly, try putting your details into the Meerkat or one of the other comparsion sites for a likely candidate car, then simply substitute the bigger engine and resubmit, you might find there's not such a difference after all.

Not suggesting the 1.3 won't be good enough, but unless its been driven well IMO there is a possibility that the clucth may have seen harder use (more slipping) than the 1.9, which will pull from stall revs (but may equally have been thrashed, who knows?), there thats just another thing to think about...helpful aint we...:-))

Feel free to ask any questions here, we might know the answers we might not, and do find the relevent make/model specific forums, you'll find some good knowledge there.

Oh yes, if you substitute politician for salesman, you won't go far wrong, they all tell you what you want to hear.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/04/2014 at 13:54

Thanks gordonbennet! Research is my middle name, I get a bit carried away on the forecourt but won't part with the dosh till I've read everything I can. :0)
I'm hoping at some point in the not too distant future I'll be able to post that I've actually managed to buy something I'm happy with.
I hadn't realised there were separate sections of the forum for specific makes - good to know.
Turns out the Doblo was probably priced about right as it was the 7 seater version. Decided against it though as I would prefer the boot space back over the extra seating, and don't want to pay the price tag.
I think I'm starting to narrow the search - Dublo or Berlingo in the lead at the mo. Not an easy decision, especially as we're spending up the savings and really need it to last us!
Research is my middle name, I hadn't realised there were separate sections of the forum for specific makes - good to know.

Dublo or Berlingo in the lead at the mo.

Hope i haven't misled you, i didn't mean in this forum i meant to find specific info in other forums for Peugeot/Citroen owners (remember Berlingo has a twin suster called Partner under the Pug banner) and Fiat owners forums.

If you find a well cared for example of either and continue that good care i think you could do far worse, good hunting.

Ah! Clearly research is not my middle name! Of this forum anyway - thank you though I will have a google. :0)

Lots of petrol qubos on auto trader.

You should get this for 4,500 or less if your paying cash.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20140318260...p

Thanks daveyk_uk, the nearest to me on Autotrader is 69 miles away so will keep an eye out for one a bit closer to home so I can have a good look around it. Struggling to get a good feel for it from the photos.

Go to a fiat/Citroen/Peugeot dealer and sit in a qubo/nemo MPV/ bipper tepee

Mpv - Any car buying suggestions? - Ian_SW

These van derived cars can be a very good value deal, provided you can accept what it is, i.e. a van with windows and some extra seats in.

They don't drive (and in particular "go") anywhere near as well as a car derived MPV such as a Scenic or a Zafira, though do give you something very practical with loads of room.

I had a Kangoo (van form) for work a couple of years ago, and drove about 15k miles in it over three months. It needed a completely different driving style to my car (mid-range Octavia). It went round corners pretty well, but I often found myself driving it nearly flat out just to keep up with the traffic, and also needed to work it through the gears much more on hills.

To see if this is something you could cope with, I'd suggest hiring one in van form for a weekend, loading it up a bit (10 bags of cement is a similar weight to three passengers) and driving your normal routes. It wouldn't cost you much more than about £50-£60, and will be better than any test drive you're likely to get out of a used car dealer.

• Skodaplan

Not entirely true.

We run both the fiat fiorino diesel van and the fiat qubo petrol MPV.

The MPV drives differently to the van, not just the engine but the steering and cornering are far superior.

The kangoo is the worst of the MPV vans, always has been (even the latest shape before Renault withdrew it from the UK).

If you tried the Citroen Berlingo multi space/ Peugeot partner tepee / fiat qubo / Citroen nemo MPV / Peugeot bipper tepee / new ford tourneo connect, you would find they are very car like.

The kangoo and to a lesser extent the MPV version of the Fiat Doblo drive more van like.

And that's only a problem if you think van driving characteristics are a bad thing, not everyone does.

Will definitely pop along to check out the new Qubo. The safety rating on the Doblo has completely put me off so no longer on the short list.
I'm learning that the Berlingo's are a bit poor equipment wise. Not sure if that a problem for me or not but I do like a/c. Skodaplan - I like your idea of a rental first to test. I was hopeful as we have a 'borrow a banger' car hire place locally but they didn't have the Berlingo or anything like it.
Still don't feel much closer to a decision unfortunately. Wondering wether to go back to looking at 'normal' cars but it's a bit of a heart sink As I just don't really like them in the same way. One big problem with the Berlingo's etc is that I'm not finding a great selection locally to even look at despite constant auto trader/eBay/dealer & gumtree searching!
Just wanted to check back in to thank you for all the help and advice. I have finally purchased a car. Nothing like any of the ones I was looking for but after dealing with garage after garage and grumpy, unhelpful sales people I decided to just choose something suitable and available. So I've ended up with an 06 2ltr Diesel Focus C Max Ghia. No negatives please as the deal is done and no going back, collecting on Friday. Hoping to increase usage to account for the Diesel engine.
It has lovely spec, with 6 gears, climate control etc. It's not a car that I find particularly thrilling but will hopefully turn out to be a sensible purchase. One plus point is the garage I bought from offer free monthly clean and vac which I will definitely be making use of!
Thanks everyone!
Mpv - Any car buying suggestions? - Avant

No negatives from me I assure you - I'd rather have a C-Max than any of the Fiats you were thinking of. And the 2.0 TDCI engine has a much better repuation for reliability and long life than the 1.6, not to mention more oomph.

Good luck with it.

Many thanks for coming back to update us Zaly...far too many post and vanish never to be seen again, nice to end a thread properly.

Best of luck with the new car, look after it, keep it well serviced.

Come back and tell us how you're getting on with it please.

Mpv - Any car buying suggestions? - Jase
Good choice Zaly.
We've had our C-Max 2.0 TDCi Ghia for nearly 8yrs now. It has been an excellent car and for an MPV it is a very good drive and the engine is strong.

Thanks everyone! Ive been feeling anxious about handing over all that cash for a car I didnt technically intend to buy so finding your comments incredibly reassuring. :0)

gordonbennet - I will definately report back on how I get on with the car.

Mpv - Any car buying suggestions? - dadbif
Citroen C3 picasso, acres of rear seat space, plus the seats fold down to give a massive load space.
Looks quirky like the multipla but does not have Italian electrics.
Economical too