Breakdown charges - TriciaA

A few months ago I was involved in a hit and run, the drivers side window shattered whilst I was driving my car, the wing mirror was hit by an oncoming truck. Needless to say I got cuts from the shattered glass.

A lady called the police for me and the officer took all the details, contacted my insurance company and breakdown service, Green Flag. I just received an invoice from Green Flag asking for £350 callout charges. I thought green flag was part of Sure Rescue, well that was until a couple hours ago when I contacted them.

Surely the insurance company, Churchill, should have pointed out at the time when they were contacted that my insurance didn't cover breakdown? If they had, I wouldn't have had Green Flag come out to me that morning.

I was pretty much in shock after the accident and it was for this reason the Officer contacted Churchill on my behalf. The bottom line is, I would prefer not to have to pay these charges. Any advice would be welcome.

Breakdown charges - skidpan

In my 40 years of experience no insurance policy has included breakdown cover but most (if not all) comprehensive policies include recovery for the car following an accident. Unfortunately a broken window would not have imobilised the car thus would not have been covered by that part of the policy. I had a very similar accident some years ago where a motorcycle hit my mirror and broke my side window but I still managed to drive home with no glass, cuts on my hand, arm and face and later discovered I had glass in my eye.

This to me looks like a simple misunderstanding, the Polioe officer who made the call to the insurance could not have known about your brakdown policy with Sure Rescue thus how could he have arranged it with them.

Greenflag have every right to charge for their services if you were not covered.

Breakdown charges - TriciaA

When I was asked what breakdown service I used by the Officer, I said GF, thinking that it was GF, I only found out today that the other company didn't use GF.

Breakdown charges - Simon

I don't quite 100% follow the story but what I can tell you is that Churchill, Green Flag (and some other big names) are all part of the Direct Line group. As seperate as they may be, they are all one big company.

As for breakdown cover policies, most of them primarily cover BREAKDOWNS not ACCIDENTS. If you look in the small print of a lot of the policies it will say that they reserve the right to charge you for any towing costs that are not due to a mechanical breakdown. Hence when it involves accident recovery, they can pass the cost on to you.

Basically what you need to do is - if you have made an insurance claim for the damage to your car, pass the cost of the recovery from Green Flag onto your insurer.