Peugeot 306 HDI Sedan (Aust) - Wiper Arc Valeo Motor - need2surf

After replacing the front wiper motor the wipers now park, but the arc is about 30-40mm too short each end of the stroke. I allowed the motor to park before attaching the wiper arms, but I may have moved the connecting arms as I tightened the nut on top of the motor/gearbox. On each cycle the wipers first go down about 30mm and then up for the arc before parking down but about 30mm too high. If I position the wiper arm on the spline any lower the blade will go off the bottom of the screen.

So my questions are (1) how to adjust this to correct the park position. (2) stop the first downward movement and (3) adjust the arc? Sorry to be long-winded, but it's a complicated story.

Peugeot 306 HDI Sedan (Aust) - Wiper Arc Valeo Motor - 659FBE

Your problem is that the crank on the end of the motor (gearbox output) shaft is incorrectly positioned.

The parking switch inside the motor ensures that it always stops at the same point - which it clearly does. The crank which converts the rotary motion from the motor to reciprocating motion for the wipers has to be positioned such that when the motor is (electrically) parked, the wipers are also at the limit of their stroke. Repositioning the crank will allow this.

If you have wiper troubles on a PSA vehicle, it's worth bearing in mind that the Valeo column switches are packed with the wrong kind of grease - which oxidises the contacts. It's an otherwise well made switch which you can take apart to clean the contacts. Re-assemble with petroleum jelly.

Peugeot 306 HDI Sedan (Aust) - Wiper Arc Valeo Motor - need2surf

Thanks 659, that makes sense. I will give that a try.

Funny you should mention the column switch. In the past month the turn indicator has been intermittantly clicking after the stalk has returned to the neutral position. Perhaps this is a similar problem.