Nissan Serena 2.3 Diesel - Difficutly getting this vehicle started. - neighbour

The vehicle is proving difficult to start after changing the cylinder head. The fuel pump was not allowing fuel through initially. Somehow the imobiliser on the pump had been activated. Overcoming this brought fuel to the pump and it did fire up but still failed to start. Each attempt to start brought fuel leaks at the spill line joints. Have renewed the push on spill line hoses but they still leak. This is a help thy neighbour project which is taxing my knowledge and skills as an engineer. I would like to succeed in getting my neighbour mobile again, preferebly without bankruptcy taking over.

Nissan Serena 2.3 Diesel - Difficutly getting this vehicle started. - Peter.N.

Not familier with this engine but if its not common rail I would suggest that the pump timing is out, probably retarded.

Peter, Many thanks for your input. The pump was coupled to the new timing belt to the corresponding belt and cog, crankshaft pulley, and cam shaft marks and the pump is piped up to the individual injectors in such a way that they can only fit the one way. The curious thing is that the spill line sees the injection pressure and so as a push on fit it leaks.

Nissan Serena 2.3 Diesel - Difficutly getting this vehicle started. - Peter.N.

Are all the leak off connections leaking? If so that would indicate excessive pressure in the circuit which I would think could only be due to an internally leaking injector. I think you said that it fired but would not start, the timing must be pretty well there for it to fire but the symptoms of retarded timeing are just those. Do you get blue smoke from the exhaust when its turning over attempting to start?

If you do have an injector problem you can check by removing the leak of pipes and see if the flow is the same on all of them, there should only be a slow trickle.

Peter, Many thanks, Currently on hold to Bosch Tech help.What you suggest sounds to be a good line to follow. I can rig up a series of clear plastic hoses to an open container to check the spill flow from each injector. I am trying to get a detailed drawing of the components of an injector as I am trying to work out how the flow enters the injector and the spill leaves as the two are at considerable pressure difference. Armed with these details and the outcome of testing the spill lines I will undertake an injector strip down to see what can be found. I am doing as much as I can on my own outside and have to wait for my neighbours day off to do anything requiring extra hands, and outside this weather is an extra headachce. I have not been able to look at the exhaust whilst cranking as yet. Given up on Bosch call. Regards

Peter, Many thanks for your assistance. The final push to get the beast started came from a freshly charged battery plush some extra clout from jump leads. The cut off valve had, I believe, been stuck in the closed position since it folded with a cracked cylinder head last July. Eventually it opened, but and I am guessing, it has yet to fully open as there is a steady flow from the pump body banjo coupling to the spill line, hence the spill line leakage experienced. Next stop check inlet and exhaust valve settings, present for MOT and back on the road, one happy neighbour and his six children, leaving me to just put my tools away.