Peugeot 207 - Am I being ripped off? - happydriver75
Hi all
I should start by saying I know very little about cars. If it moved, that'll do!
I have a 2008 Peugeot 207 and yesterday started getting an 'anti pollution fault' message on the dashboard. Took it to the dealership today and they've said that I need;

Oxygen sensor
Thermostat housing
Mass air sensor

At total cost of £598.66

I admit, I was a little naive, bought the car 18 months ago and was told it only need servicing every 2 years. I have done a lot more miles than I thought - 20,000 in the past 2 years. Garage tells me the problems are my own fault because I should have had it serviced at 10,000.

Anyway...anyone have any idea what work like this should cost me? Dealership says if I don't get it fixed, I'll have a catastrophic engine failure before too long. Feel stupid! Can anyone help please? I'd be SO grateful.
Peugeot 207 - Am I being ripped off? - Collos25

I would think the vehicle is still covered by the SOGA, these parts can go wrong but its very unusual for all three to go at once and they are charging you top dollar for this I think I would want a second opinion.

Peugeot 207 - Am I being ripped off? - elekie&a/c doctor

I would have thought that this car has some kind of service interval reminder on the dash/instrument display that should advise you when the service is due.I would agree that a service at10k is better than 20k.However ,none of the faults logged are service items.I would take it to a good independent garage and get a second opinion.I doubt if it needs all these parts replacing.Also ,did the Peugeot garage specify when the catastropic engine failure will occur,date and time!!Don't think so.hth

Peugeot 207 - Am I being ripped off? - andy815

Agree with the above.Two of those parts you or a pal could fit yourself. The oxygen sensor should fit in two mins by any mechanic.Would recomend shorter service intervals if you intend keeping car, especially in respect of oil changes.

Edited by andy815 on 02/01/2014 at 19:08

Peugeot 207 - Am I being ripped off? - happydriver75
Thanks guys! I realise I should have definitely had it serviced last year. I had a personal tragedy last year and kinda lost the plot on life for a while - so things like this got neglected!

Today, the mechanic gave me a huge spiel (I think he was trying to blind me with science) and I think (summing up) he said that if I didn't get it fixed, the catalytic converter would fail or the car would either under fuel or over-fuel, which would lead to a 'total loss of power'.

The fact that he was rabbiting on, using technical terms, when it was clear I hadn't a clue what he was going on about, led me to think I wasn't getting the full picture. Anyway, booked in for a 2nd opinion tomorrow with a reliable independent.

The warning light has now gone off (he reset it) but he says it'll probably come back on. Depending what the independent garage says, do you think it's safe to drive for a few days? Dealer made it sound as though I'm driving a death trap!
Peugeot 207 - Am I being ripped off? - alan1302

I would think the vehicle is still covered by the SOGA, these parts can go wrong but its very unusual for all three to go at once and they are charging you top dollar for this I think I would want a second opinion.

Would not have thought that aplied 18 months after purchase of a 5-6 year old car.

Peugeot 207 - Am I being ripped off? - Gibbo_Wirral

If you need an independent inspection I manage a group of Peugeot owners with the same Planet / Lexia equipment that dealers use:

maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214397633218647067111...e

As for their prices, I guarantee you can get those parts cheaper. The MAF, for example, will be around £120 at the dealers. This can be picked up from Euro Car Parts for £60 when they have one of their regular discounts on.

Or you can buy an OEM one from Ebay much cheaper. I've used them in the past and they've been absolutely fine.