Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 hdi exclusive - zero accelleration - bulwellcitroen

Hi everyone, I have recently bought a Xsara Picasso 1.6 hdi on 54 plate with 48000 miles. It drove well on test and on pick-up but thinking back the seller ( a very nice man in Pudsey) was not at home both times and arrived full of apologies in a warmed-up car which I bought, It is a nice car but will not accelerate above 40 mph, especially uphill. Strangely, it accelerates best with very slight pressure on the accelerator pedal. Flooring it does nothing. It's a nice car overall and I am very frustrated at the lack of performance. Your majestic knowledge will be much appreciated. Thanks, Keith.

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 hdi exclusive - zero accelleration - elekie&a/c doctor

Lack of performance could indicate a fault with the turbo.Same engine as fitted to Peugeot and Ford.hth

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 hdi exclusive - zero accelleration - Collos25

Its more than likely in LHM with the warning light disconnected ,by the sounds of it he is a trader working from home ,the first rule of buying a car never buy a car from somebody who brings the car to your house.Anybodies guess what is wrong from a failed turbo to egr , DPF and additive problems I would find the nice man and get your money back if possible.

Hi again everyone and many thanks for your responses. I would like to give an update. I have been scouring the forums looking for ideas about this. and have printed a few pages of plausible reasons and remedies. On Tuesday I was in Wilkinson's and saw Redex diesel treatment on offer at half price. I thought for two and a half quid I would get one and use it whilst researching other ideas. I put roughly half the bottle in and topped up with diesel. Thought no more about it. Did a little running around Tuesday and Wednesday in the daytime, about 35 miles. Car stood on the drive both nights as I cycle to work. Went out today and went on to a 60 mph road. Tentatively eased on the throttle and all of a sudden it was like being pushed from behind, a real burst of acceleration in 4th which carried over into 5th. Looking in the rearview mirror there was some smoke which soon cleared. I have taken it on fast roads and it seems to be getting better and better. Surely this can't be coincidence? I have also purchased an aerosol EGR valve cleaner but wonder whether to wait while I seem to be ahead. The difference in the car is stunning. ( I have no reason to promote Redex by the way).

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 hdi exclusive - zero accelleration - Peter.N.

Sounds as though it was in limp home mode, could be anumber of reasons, you really need to get the fault codes read. If you go on to the French Car forum you might find someone near you that has a Lexia and will read it for you.

I have a C5 and a 406 Hdi, they are both in limp home mode have been for sometime but as I rarely drive above 60 mph or 2000 rpm it doesn't bother me. If you can keep below 3000 rpm which isnt difficult it should pull OK.

***UPDATE BY ORIGINAL POSTER.-- PLEASE SEE ABOVE***

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 hdi exclusive - zero accelleration - Gibbo_Wirral

I can recommend Forte Turbo cleaner, its around £12 a bottle on Ebay.

Also Millers Diesel EcoMax additive, about £10 a bottle.

But get the car read to see if there are any fault codes and to check the car over. The Lexia equipment can check everything.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 29/11/2013 at 14:27

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 hdi exclusive - zero accelleration - Sir Lancelot

Join this site of Picasso owners, give them the story so far. Tell them as much as possible.

There is a microswitch behind either the clutch or brake pedal (I can't remember which). If it becomes dislodged you can get the same results. It may just be loose and cause intermiitent problems.

http://www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/picasso/

Edited by Sir Lancelot on 30/11/2013 at 13:05