Peugeot 206 SW - Auxiliary Belt Screeching 2.0 HDI - Robbied196

I've posted before about my screeching 206! Always worse from a cold start and in the cold weather but goes after a few miles. Its a recent belt about 6000 miles and an even newer tensioner about 4000 miles. First time at the garage they fitted the new belt, it started screeching after about 2000 miles. Back to the garage and they fitted a new tensioner now its screeching again. I don't really have the time to have the car in the garage for another day so I'm hoping I can sort it myself.

Its a 2004 2.0 HDI with air con and their are 6 pulleys in total, 3 large, 3 smaller.

Last time I adjusted a belt it was a simple case of loosening the alternator and tensioning the belt. This is like spagetti with loads of pulleys :)

www.flickr.com/photos/62249235@N05/10760614784/

Is there any way of tightening the belt?

Edited by Robbied196 on 09/11/2013 at 16:10

Peugeot 206 SW - Auxiliary Belt Screeching 2.0 HDI - Simon

I'm going to guess that the tensioner is automatic. In which case with a new belt and a new tensioner it should not be slipping/screeching.

I would hazard a guess that one of the pulleys or items driven by the belt isn't as free running as it should be, possibly on the road seize-ing up. Take the belt off and see if something is stiff to turn, I would start with the aircon pump.

Peugeot 206 SW - Auxiliary Belt Screeching 2.0 HDI - dieselnut

Have a good look at the crankshaft pulley the belt runs around. I think these are rubber metal sandwich construction & can start to go oval after a while. Look at the tensioner, does it vibrate at tickover.