Landrover Freelander 2 - Insurance repairs invalidating warranty - toff

I have just bought a new LR F2 and amended my existing insurance (Zurich per RAC) for the new car. LR Insurance have contacted me to warn me that if I insure with other insurers than their own (Zenith), I risk having repairs (in case of an insurable accident) which could invalidate my warranty. How likely is this do you think? The LR insurance is £100 more which I would be prepared to pay if necessary but wonder if it isn't a bit of a scare tactic.

Landrover Freelander 2 - Insurance repairs invalidating warranty - daveyjp
Complete BS and probably worth a complaint to whoever polices insurance companies. If you need to claim you can choose whichever repairer you like, which includes LR bodyshops.
Landrover Freelander 2 - Insurance repairs invalidating warranty - Auristocrat

If you did have to have the car repaired, you should be able to choose the repairer rather than use the insurer's repairer. In which case you could choose a Landrover approved repairer and keep your warranty in tact.

We did this when our 8 month old Mazda 2 was damaged by a car involved in a police chase. A local Mazda dealer had a bodyshop, and the car was repaired there.

Landrover Freelander 2 - Insurance repairs invalidating warranty - toff
Thank you both for helping to put my mind at rest. Is there a part of the policy which states this? I would like to see it in writing if possible.
Landrover Freelander 2 - Insurance repairs invalidating warranty - NARU

Ironically, many main dealers outsource repair work - so it could well end up at the same body shop!

Landrover Freelander 2 - Insurance repairs invalidating warranty - skidpan

. LR Insurance have contacted me to warn me that if I insure with other insurers than their own (Zenith), I risk having repairs (in case of an insurable accident) which could invalidate my warranty.

Are you sure they actually said that. Every manufacturer will not give a warranty on repairs carried out by workshops outside their own but body repairs would not affect cliams on unconnected engine, electrical or other faults. Any problems arising from repairs would be warranted by the repair company.

If you were unfortunate enough to have an accident you could simply insist that Zurich take it to an official Land Rover repairer, no warranty problems then. But some insurers increase your excess if you don't use thier preferred repairers, with Aviva ours would increase from £200 to £300.

If they really did say what you quote refer land Rover to the insurance ombudsman. This sort of sharp practice needs to be stopped.

Landrover Freelander 2 - Insurance repairs invalidating warranty - gordonbennet

Its probably best with modern vehicles if severely damaged to get them repaired at the make approved bodyshop, doesn't take too much imagination to forsee a completely unrelated fault being conveniently blamed on poor body repairs a few months down the line with certain manufacturers/dealers.

The make approved bodyshop should also be using genuine parts, hence you can see why some insurers would prefer the use of their tame bodyshops.

Don't know about others but i don't necessarily go for the very cheapest insurer at remewal time, i work my way up through the quotes till arrive at a company i assume/hope are good, the unknown or known as problematic/keen on admin overcharging get ignored.

Landrover Freelander 2 - Insurance repairs invalidating warranty - MrDanno

I can understand Landrovers point here. Alot of "Insurance approved" body repairers are not very good and the term "Insurance approved" is a deceiving way of saying "Cheap and cheerful" which is why I've taken at least 2 of them to the small claims court to claim money from them to get the cars repaired to how they should be and not lashed up on the cheap. One of them was even claiming for parts he had not bought - a new bumper and a light cluster.

I'd never use an "Insurance approved" repairer again.