How do you decide on a replament car - julie page

I have a Alfa 156 and recently parted with my beloved RX8. Previously the cars I bought just happened, now I can not make my mind up

Logic says I should sell my Alfa and buy something like a A4 convertable, my heart says something like a lotus Elise

when it is time to get something new how do you decide

How do you decide on a replament car - oldtoffee

>>>>>Logic says I should sell my Alfa

Yes you probably should although the car may surprise you and laugh in the face of its detractors of which there are many on here.

A4 convertible - not that logical really compared to a petrol Mondeo or a 1.8 Avensis with a CVT box. Lotus Elise it is then. I've driven one on a sports car experience day and it was more fun than a Ferrari 360, Porsche 911 turbo and a 350 bhp Impreza.

I decide more with my head these days (Santa Fe, Mondeo, Passat) but used to be with my heart (Golf GTi Mk2, Jag MK2 3.6, 911 SC)

Edited by oldtoffee on 29/07/2013 at 22:30

How do you decide on a replament car - 72 dudes

Lotus Elise is a bit hardcore for daily use, but great for a weekend fun car.

A4 convertible a good choice, but hold their value well so not cheap.

Saab 9-3 convertible a good alternative. Better still how about a folding tin top (Astra, Eos, Megane, 307/8, Focus etc..)

Or my favourite, a Volvo C70 (2006 on).

But if you liked your RX8, how about an MX5 Roadster Coupe? Air con and a folding roof good for all year round use.

Trawl through Auto Trader online, using the "convertible" drop down option under "body type". Go and see some and drive them. Choosing them is half the pleasure!

How do you decide on a replament car - madf

"when it is time to get something new how do you decide"

Make a list of all your "Musts" and your "likes".. and ruthlessly judge cars agaibst that.

If you are logical and methodical it takes some time, but it makes deciding easier. Last time it took me three months before I knew what I wanted.

How do you decide on a replament car - idle_chatterer

My wife goes to the VW garage and says 'I would like a Golf please', metallic/pearlescent blue or silver, decent spec, dark interior and reverse park sensors please. seems to work well enough. I've pursuaded her to try a Civic (unreliable) and a Focus (tacky interior) over the years but now realise that her brand/model loyalty runs deep.

As to your choices - I read many posts from people who are finding Alfas to be stylish, characterful and (more surprisingly) reliable these days.

The Elise is lovely but what will 'support' be like if/when Lotus are no more ? It's also a bit of a high days and holidays car. The Audi cabrio is fine but PLEASE not a diesel and why not consider the TT, nicer chassis I beleive ?

Which brings me back to a Golf GTi. what was the question ?

Edited by idle_chatterer on 30/07/2013 at 08:48

How do you decide on a replament car - Leif

"when it is time to get something new how do you decide"

Make a list of all your "Musts" and your "likes".. and ruthlessly judge cars agaibst that.

Yup. When my last car failed its MOT, and was beyond repair, I bought an armful of magazines. I knew the kind of car I wanted - a city car or super mini - and the rags allowed me to eliminate the duds, and draw up a short list. For me low cost of ownership was near the top of the requirements.

Things to consider:

1) Cost of ownership based on expected annual mileage, miles per gallon, servicing frequency and costs, repair costs, insurance and road tax cost.

2) Performance.

3) Comfort. Don't buy a noisy cramped sports car if most of the time you commute on motorways. Don't buy a comfy barge if you only use it for occasional runs to a local country pub for lunch.

3) Space, number of seats, boot space and other practicalities.

4) Emotional stuff. No point buying the ideal car if you hate it.

How do you decide on a replament car - barney100
I think out very carefully what I need logically and price wise, search around to find the best of its kind.....then buy something different which I like! Did this last time, was looking for a Merc c220 or e class diesel saloon. Saw a Clk cabriolet 3.2 petrol in the same dealers and came away with that. Bit of a struggle getting the golf gear in but great driving in summer.
How do you decide on a replament car - Dabooka

Alfa Spider? Keep the style of the Alfa and you get your roof down too!

How do you decide on a replament car - Bobbin Threadbare

If you want something as fun and stylish as the Alfa, get a Mazda MX-5. Very reasonable to run, immensely good to drive, parts and servicing really aren't bad, and Mazda aren't going to disappear any time soon. I commute 60 miles a day in mine and it is comfortable - the seats hug your back and keep it supported. Someone has already suggested this I know; I second it! I have also driven an Elise on a track day, and then had the ex-racing driver whizz me round in it; he reckoned that for the sensible money bracket, the MX-5 is hard to beat.

How do you decide on a replament car - TeeCee

my heart says something like a lotus Elise

Well that's easy then. If you are currently in a position where your lifestyle means that you can live with a two seat sports car and in a position where you can afford to run it, get an Elise while you can.

Life's too short and these bits are even shorter......

How do you decide on a replament car - davecooper

Styling, Costs.

Test drive.

Done!

How do you decide on a replament car - HandCart

I concur with TeeCee. And PLEASE don’t get an A4 cabriolet! -You’ve had an Alfa and an RX8 for goodness-sake; do you REALLY want to join the herd trying to be taken for a footballer’s wife?

;-)

How do you decide on a replament car - James Brown

Firstly make your list or plan .After that one by one full fill those plan.Make a figure in your mind.That's the best idea.

How do you decide on a replament car - Ed V

What will make you pleased to have to drive somewhere?

For me, looks first. Then internal quality. Then details like aircon and auto.

How do you decide on a replament car - veryoldbear

It needs to big (for carrying stuff around in), comfortable (regular trips to see the grandchildren 200 miles each way), diesel (as above plus trips to France where diesel is 25% cheaper).

And cost roughly the same a square meal at MacDonalds ...

How do you decide on a replament car - daveyK_UK

When replacing a personal car or part of the fleet, I always looks first of all at value.

IE. What is the best deal I can get?

The 2nd question is always what will it be worth in 1,2,3,4 or 5 years time?

The 2nd question is why I have never purchased a chevrolet, chrysler, proton or jeep.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 31/07/2013 at 19:01

How do you decide on a replament car - I Want That Car!

If you are looking for help finding a car then our new TV show may be able to help...

The series is presented by motoring experts Mat Watson and Rebecca Jackson who are travelling to Rockingham this weekend and looking to find some used car bargains for people.

If you are interested in being in the new show then contact the production team via email iwantthatcar@daisybeckstudios.com or telephone 0113 204 5922.

Like us and post on Facebook page I WANT THAT CAR Follow us on TWITTER @I_WANT_THAT_CAR