scooter - 3rd party insurance - trust yourself

Me and my husband were on the way to work this mornnig. My husband was riding my scooter. We were pulled up by the police and spent 1 hour with the "hero" of the day. My husband has 1 bike and has a full insurance and insurance to ride other bikes, BUT not MINE, as I am his wife. Apparently as now we are married, he owns the scooter and needs to add it to his insurance?We were about to receive FPN and 6 points, but after calling insurance ourself in front of policemen, they confirmed we had insurance and my husband can ride anything he wants... We were set free after 1 hour. Could someone comment on this? Does this law really exist?

scooter - 3rd party insurance - dacouch

What exactly does his certificate of insurance say he's covered to drive?

thank you. His cetificate says that he can drive any motorbike with owner's permission.

I just found it strange. First the policement claimed my husband had no insurance what so ever, then he called someone and came up with the story that as he has insuarnce to drive any bike apart from mine, as I am his wife.... He was about to give us FPN but i asked to call insurance and re confirm. We called insurance to clarify this, and they confirmed that my hasband can ride whichever bike he wants.

if this new found law, that my bike is now my husband's bike, and he must register it with his insurance in order to ride it, how is he suppose to do it, as I am the registered owner of the bike? I felt that we have been missled by policemen , and it felt his goal was to issue the ticket no matter what...

So my advice to everyone, before excepting any FPN call your insuarnce and see where you stand. in our case, policemen was wrong

scooter - 3rd party insurance - Falkirk Bairn

Car (possibly m/cs and scooters" insurance can have a driving other vehicles clause - 3rd party only for policyholder (not named drivers on a policy!).

I have just renewed my car policy - as a policy holder I can drive any car (DOC) (with owner's permission) as long as I do not own the car or the car belongs to my wife - cover is 3rd party only!

Younger policy holders do not have a DOC clause in most cases.

scooter - 3rd party insurance - galileo

I have just renewed my car policy - as a policy holder I can drive any car (DOC) (with owner's permission) as long as I do not own the car or the car belongs to my wife - cover is 3rd party only.

I thought this cover only applied IF the car was insured by the owner, that is, you are not covered to drive an otherwise uninsured car?

scooter - 3rd party insurance - dacouch

Get your husband to carry a copy of his Certificate of Insurance around with him, if he gets stopped refer the police to this and advise them he has produced a "Relevant" Certificate of Insurance.

I guess they pulled him over as your bike has no insurance of it's own so it may have pinged their ANPR

http://www.legalknowledgescotland.com/?p=263

Edited by dacouch on 25/07/2013 at 18:12

Thank you for advice. I guess if it goes this way, soon we will need to carry driving lisences, ownership of the car vehicle registration documents, MOT and insurance documents....

scooter - 3rd party insurance - galileo

Thank you for advice. I guess if it goes this way, soon we will need to carry driving lisences, ownership of the car vehicle registration documents, MOT and insurance documents....

www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q648.htm?letter=T

The website above explains about producing driving documents, this is how it has been for many years, it is not new legislation.

scooter - 3rd party insurance - Peter D

I looked into DOV a couple of years back and several of the insurances companies I spoke to confirmed DOV did not apply to other vehicles own by a partner/spouse and kept at the same address.

Further, some pointed out that the other vehicle has to have insurance in it's own right.

I can understand why as it stops a person from having a weekend fun car/kit car in his spouses name and him driving it at the weekends under his DOV cover.

I suggest to the OP that you both add your spouse to your policies. Regards Peter

scooter - 3rd party insurance - focussed

Yet another example of the ridiculous vehicle insurance shambles in the UK.

I am resident in France, many things over here are more complicated than they need to be, but vehicle insurance is much simpler.

Over here it is the vehicle that is insured not the driver - a minimum of third party insurance must be in force on any vehicle 24/7/365 and a small certificate displayed in the windscreen to prove insurance cover for all to see.

Anybody can drive anything and still remain legal - simple isn't it?