Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - reflector

I took delivery of a new car in May and the dealer said he would send off to register it that same day. When the V5 arrived this week it showed that car had indeed been first registered that day...but to the dealer, not me. Three weeks later it was then registered to me. So not only am I now the 2nd owner of my 'new' car but also, according to Sect 43c of the Vehicle Excise & Reg Act '94, I appear to have committed a criminal offence as the car was not registered to me. It also seems my insurance may have been invalid during that period as I declared that I was the first registered owner when taking out the policy.

The dealer is making very little of this, insisting this is common practice and that there is no harm or loss of value to me. Does anyone have an informed view?

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - thunderbird

If I was in your shoes I would be absolutely fuming if you were told that you would be the first keeper BUT did the dealer actually ever tell you that you would be the first registered keeper. If he never told you that you would 100% be the first registered keeper what has he done wrong.

This is one of the things I get a dealer to confirm before I actually sign on the dotted line.

Thanks Thunderbird. Yes, not only was I told the car was to be new, I have it in writing on the handwritten quote he gave me, and on the official order form. I also have it on the credit finance agreement I took out - finance which was only available on new purchases, not pre-reg cars. They have admitted it was a mistake, that I should have been told, and that they did it to help the books by registering it in their name until May had ended. They have offered me a written apology but insist it has caused me no harm or financial loss. Any idea of my legal position?

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - thunderbird

Get the Finance company involved. Don't think they will be happy. Other than that reject the car since it is not what you originally agreed to buy.

With regards to value it will make sod all difference in 3 years time.

Thanks for the advice Thunderbird. Not sure if I can reject it as I have been driving it around since May, although I only discovered the situation when the V5 arrived this week.

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - Andrew-T

Not sure if I can reject it as I have been driving it around since May, although I only discovered the situation when the V5 arrived this week.

I haven't ever been in this situation, but I am doubtful that you can reject a car on that kind of technicality. It doesn't sound as though it is unfit for purpose in any way.

But I don't see either why the dealer needed to register it so early in the month. He could have used it as a demo with trade plates. Might it have been used as a courtesy car?

Thanks Andrew-T. Yes, the vehicle is fit for purpose, but it is not 'as described' as it was sold as new but is legally second-hand. Thanks also for your idea that it might have been a demo or courtesy car, but it had 12 miles on the clock and I actually chose the number plate from a list they offered, so unlikely. I took delivery on 21/5, the same date they then registered it to themselves, and they transferred ownership to me on 5/6. During that time I was driving it around thinking I was the registered owner, and had insured it accordingly. It doesn't feel right to me but I am grateful to you and anyone else for their view of the situation.

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - daveyK_UK

Mitsubishi UK need to know about this, inform them

Write to honest john at the telegraph and publicise the matter.

Thanks daveyK_UK. I'm hoping it won't come to that extreme. Would rather give the dealer chance to rectify but trying to work out what would be a fair outcome before going back to him.

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - tony g
If a dealer registers a car as a demonstrator ,which appears to be what has happened ,the dealer receives an additional sum of money ( profit )from the manufacturer .

You should have been told this would happen ,if you have a confirmation in writing that you would be the first registered keeper ,then you need to complain to Mitsubishi .

As has been said previously ,it won't affect the value of the car when you sell it in three years . However you have been mislead ,I would be looking for three years free servicing as compensation .
Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - veloster

looks to me like a cock up by the dealer who has registered the car to them by mistake.find out if this is the case then you can decide what to do.if this were me i would be looking for some sort of compensation.car was brand new but you were the second owner so you have bourght a second hand car.find out the price difference between a new car and a pre reg car and then you will know how much compensatoin to ask for..stick to your guns here and dont let them fob you off...........

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - Andrew-T
If a dealer registers a car as a demonstrator ,which appears to be what has happened, the dealer receives an additional sum of money (profit ) from the manufacturer .

This may well be true (I bow to the expert knowledge of other posters) but if so, why does it not happen a lot more? Sounds like easy money. It also looks too easy a way to sell the same car twice for the monthly returns.

I can see that the OP must feel that his car should have cost him less, but if - as has been said here - it will make no difference after 3 years, that feeling will wear off in time. If the car fits and is fit for purpose, enjoy it (and keep it for 3 years).

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - Cyd

I've never purchased a brand new car personally, but my understanding is that buying a pre-registered car usually gets one a better deal than if one bought a brand new vehicle to order.

Why not ring around a few dealers pretending to be looking for a car. Ask if they have any pre-reg cars of your model and ask for guide prices (have a look on dealers websites too). Once you have some prices, you can use the difference to what you paid as a guide to how much (££ wise) you've been disadvantaged. then add a percentage (say about 20-30%) for the distress and disappointment and the fact they put you in a precarious position (insurance wise) for those 3 weeks.

I would ring your insurance company and ask if this is a "material fact" which should be reported to them. Any admin fees the insurance charges should be added to the above figures.

If you haven't been financially disadvantaged from above research, then gun for a free service to compensate for the distress and disappointment.

Frankly I don't buy the "accidental admin error" angle. Dealers are well versed in registering cars - they know what they are doing. They almost certainly used you to boost their "apparent" sales figures, once when the car was registered and 3 weeks later when it was sold to you. Having dealt with dealers as a warranty engineer for a large Midlands manufacturer, I can tell you they all have large fins on their backs and they know every "scam" going.

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - Dabooka
Some good advice posted above, although I'd cool on the "distress" angle a bit.

Sorry Cyd, no offence but I find stress and distress are liberally banded around nowadays. It may be frustrating and annoying, but distressing? Really?

Finally, I thought the pre-reg demo scam needed to be 6 months to be effective for a dealer? I admit to knowing little about it other than reading on hear aout being cautious with brokers who hold on to the paper work.
Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - Gordon17

If you have documentary proof that you ordered, and paid for, a brand new car, why not just take it back and insist that they replace it with a new one.

Thanks so much to everyone who has offered advice. In return, as soon as I have an outcome I will post it here. Lin

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - pd

Annoying, but sounds like a lot of fuss over not a lot. It is still a brand new car - it just has an extra name in the logbook. You are never the first owner of a car - at the very least it has already been owned by a manufacturere, probably an importer, then sold to a dealer or possibly a finance company which finances said dealer and then to the first driver.It is still as "new" as it is ever likely to be - a Mitsubishi will have sat on a dock/boat for 3 months before even getting to the UK.

It was almost certainly done to get some sort of sales bonus or similar or get around some sort of odd dealer/distrubitor agreements. It is possible they couldn't have sold the car to you at the price they did (if you got any discount) otherwise.

They obviously should have told you so push for a free first service or something but if you are otherwise pleased with the car it makes no one jot of difference to its value and it is a common occurrance so, whsilt a bit annoying, it really isn't the end of the world.

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - galileo

If the dealer has done this to receive a bonus, he has obtained pecuniary advantage by deception, which is the definition of fraud, is it not?

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - gordonbennet

I'm not sure about there being no financial penalty for pre regd when the times comes to sell.

I tend to buy fairly unusual specification cars, invariably i'm drawn to well maintained versions with certain tell tale pointers, like a set of matched good make tyres for example, experience has taught me that owners fussy about such things tend to be as fussy about other important maintenance.

The more previous owners i see in the ad then the more likely i am to dismiss the vehicle without further investigation, rightly or wrongly, both our present cars bought used are genuine one owner full history vehicles.

Doubt i'm alone in this, i am also prepared to pay over the normal used price for the right car.

I wouldn't be happy about this siutation either, wonder if such practices are part of the reason for such poor sales figures for Mitsi.

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - pd

Whether a car has 1, 2 or 3 owners really has no material difference and I can't believe many people take much notice (selling cars for a living they don't). It only becomes a factor when it gets to a silly number in a short space of time, e.g. 8 owners in 3 years. The days of people buying a new car and running it for 6 years are well over - this rarely happens and the average ownership period I'd guess is about 2 years with many "fashion" cars changing hands after 6 months.

In some ways a car which has been sold/bought every 2 years is preferable as it has been prepped, cleaned etc. by a dealer a couple of times.

The dealer should have told the OP no doubt but it really is a bit of a storm in a teacup. It is still a new car and the actual number of owners has not changed - it just has one more name in the logbook. Anyone buying the car in the future will be able to see what happened and that the OP has owned it from new.

I'd agree on the tyres by the way.

Just wanted to thank everyone who took the trouble to give their advice or point of view and to let you know the outcome:

I take the point of those who saw this as a 'storm in a teacup'. But being sold a new and unregistered car and then finding the company has registered it to themselves after the customer has paid and taken delivery, and without the customer's knowledge, is surely not acceptable for such a major purchase.

Anyway, I'm glad to report that after an initially dismissive response, the dealership have now done all they can to put things right, including an apology, a letter of explanation and compensation.

Thanks again everyone.

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - gordonbennet

Thankyou for updating and concluding the thread, fair result for you and proof in the letter that you are the genuine only owner for future resale purposes, well done.

Mitsubishi - Dealer sold me New car, then registered to himself - Mylor

I had the same happen to me. I insisted that the dealer contact DVLA and explain that they had made a mistake, giving false information to the DVLA is an offence.

The dealer did so and DVLA issued a new V5 showing me as the first, and only, registered owner.

Stick to your guns, if you buy a new car, then its a new car, not a previously owned one.

We accept too much rubbish from car dealers, insist on getting what you pay for.