MX5s in snow HJ query - Bobbin Threadbare
MX5 suitable for all year round? My wife is interested in a MX5 but her friend, who has one, says they are rubbish in snow and ice. The model we want has traction control, has this made the car more suitable for winter use as she has a 6 mile each way commute and we live on a hill? Thanks - Andrew Watson

Asked on 29 June 2013 by Traveller022

Tags: buying Yes, but for winter there is no substitute for winter tyres on all four wheels. For some cars I'd recommend Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons, left on all year round. But an MX5 is better on grippy Yokahamas or Toyos in the summer and put on full cold weather tyres for the Winter such as Continental WinterContact TS 850s.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I agree with HJ's answer - there is a stupid myth that they are rubbish in snow and anyone who struggles isn't taking the time to adapt their driving to the conditions! I had no probs this past winter (considering the winter went on until late April that was a good job really)

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 29/06/2013 at 16:28

MX5s in snow HJ query - gordonbennet

Spot on Bobbin, there is nothing wrong with RWD, i run the correct tyres, winters, in the season because i start work at silly o'clock and the steep roads out of where i live often sees my old MB the only 2WD car to get out when the snow comes in heavy, not getting to work is not an option for me.

MX5s in snow HJ query - martint123

I had one for 12 years (chopped in as scrappage eventually)

I would have to say it was the worst car for snow and ice I have ever had. Main problem was grounding with deep snow. Never had problems as bad with 25 years of various front and rear drive company cars. I dare say narrower m+s tyres over winter would have helped.

MX5s in snow HJ query - madf

friend has an MX5. In snow he needed to be pushed to get up slightest hill... it was like a supermarket trolley with one wheel stuck.

POC on summer tyres.. No doubt winter tyres would make a vast difference.. (2008car)

MX5s in snow HJ query - NARU

My RWD BMW is about the same as my mx-5 in the snow, after I put a heavy bag in the MX-5 boot to get some traction.

I think the winter tyre advice is spot on.

MX5s in snow HJ query - Engineer Andy

Whilst MX-5's are comparitively light, to be honest there's not a great deal of difference between them and other RWD cars in snow - a neighbour's BMW 3-series had more difficulties than another's MX-5 - I suspect partly due to how they were driven (the beemer's owner was always too heavy-footed and span the wheels a lot), as well as neither using winter tyres.

For ordinary cars, I think driving style can make a large difference, not perhaps as much as tyre choice, but still a significant one, especially in "average" snow conditions.

MX5s in snow HJ query - car67

Using the tyres with all round best grip I think were Yokohamas I had an MX5 for a few years a while back (traded in when baby on way)

It was an amzing car to drive, but - it could kick the back end out at the slightest rainy greasy road roundabout. I always felt safe in it - I didn't use winter tyres, BUT, it did struggle and snake about in the ice.

Given that a friend of mine was in a no-fault of their own accident with a soft top - I have to say I am glad I don't own one anymore. I know, I know. But this guy was sitting stationery and was hit head on by a 4x4. That said - get a hard top for your Mx5 and have a wee think about it.

If you have any friends with one - get a shot in the icy/snow before you make your purchase. Mine had to sit in the driveway a few winters ago, as I couldn't get it out the drive up onto the street.

Awesome car though. Awesome.

MX5s in snow HJ query - Bobbin Threadbare

I have Uniroyal Rainsports on mine. I think I'll replace them with the same tyre when they're due. It behaved in snow and slush but since I don't live too far from Cumbria its worth learning to deal with 'weather'!

Yes it's an awesome car to drive - the soft top does have its downsides, not least the sods who lob glowing fag butts out of their cars that might set fire to my roof.