Faulty engine light - Jofrombristol

I bought a used Nissan Micra (2005) about 10 days ago from Auto Bristol ltd but the engine faulty light came on just after a week. (I couldn’t drive the car for a week after I bought it because the battery was completely dead – had to call AA twice to get the car started). Auto Bristol refered me to a garage and I went there twice (yesterday from 9.15 – 5.30pm). Each time the guy managed to make the light disappear but the light came back on again (and stay on) the minute I drove the car back. I contacted Paul from Auto Bristol again this morning but he didn’t want to know.

The car was sold for £3699 to me but I’m not sure now whether it’s actually safe to drive it with the engine light on all the time. Help!!!

Faulty engine light - Collos25

He has to repair it if he refuses you can either go through SOGA or the small claims court .

Faulty engine light - 72 dudes

You have some comeback with the supplying garage under the Sale of Goods Act, which states that any item must be fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. With a used car, factors such as age and mileage are taken into consideration.

The dealer would have to prove that the battery was not faulty and the fault causing the engine management light to be illuminated were NOT there at time of purchase.

You should politely but firmly tell Auto Bristol Ltd that under the Sale of Goods Act, they have a duty to repair the fault. If they refuse, you have the option of starting small claims court action, which will cost you around £300. If you do go down this route, tell the garage, it might just be enough for them to attempt a repair. Be aware that they may just clear the fault code or disconnect the bulb if they are not trustworthy.

Is it safe? Probably, but best get to the bottom of what's causing it sooner rather than later.

Good luck and do come back and tell the forum what happened and how you get on.

Faulty engine light - pd

It really depends on what is causing the light - can be something incredibly minor which would make no difference to it in day to day use or maybe something which will cause running issues.

Try and at least find out what is causing it and try an amicable approach before going legal as it doesn't always work.

(To illustrate that matters are no where near as clear as some people here think I will illustrate with a recent true story involving a dealer local to me. This particular dealer doesn't have a great reputation anyway but basically customer buys what we shall just call a Japanese sports car with an unusual engine configuraiton for £6k. Buyer gets it home, tries to start it and it will not start when hot due to low compression and needing an engine rebuild. Takes it back to dealer and dealer basically says you've bought it, your problem. Buyer is more than a little pi**ed off and leaves said car parked in road outside dealer intending to put a sign on it that it is a wrong-un. Buyer takes dealer to small claims court - dealer (who is used to this!) defends with all vigour and, amazingly wins - they've won 7 other "clear cut" cases this year. Dealer then sues buyer but not through small claims court (so can claim costs) for storage, defamation, loss of business etc. Dealer wins and wins very expensive lawyer's costs. Buyer has currently spent £6k on car they do not have and will not work plus is being persued for £25k by the dealer.)

He has a problem with his car the dealer refuses to have anything to do with the problem buyer envokes SOGA end of storey.

Faulty engine light - pd

He has a problem with his car the dealer refuses to have anything to do with the problem buyer envokes SOGA end of storey.

It is possibly end of story after a court summons, court case, maybe an award which may or may not be paid and then a claim possibly via baliffs only to find out they magically have no money anyway or all the stock is owned by another company or person so after 9 months you've had no use of a (still) broken car, spent a load of money on court costs, wasted a load of time all to end up with nothing.

Faulty engine light - quizman

The dealer is possibly in the brotherhood. So will most of the lawyers. We don't stand a chance if this is true.

Faulty engine light - Smileyman

It's a worry when sharp lawyers can harm private individauls like this ... it cannot be defamation to report court case results, including the names of the parties involved so the local rag needs to be more proactive and find a court report headline for the front page

Faulty engine light - Avant

PD - do you have any further information as to *why* the dealer won that case? As Collos says the Sale of Goods Act should have weighted things in favour of the buyer, particularly as the fault was clearly there when he bought the car, and it doesn't sound like something he could have found out by inspection.

Faulty engine light - pd

PD - do you have any further information as to *why* the dealer won that case? As Collos says the Sale of Goods Act should have weighted things in favour of the buyer, particularly as the fault was clearly there when he bought the car, and it doesn't sound like something he could have found out by inspection.

No, I don't. I think it rested on the buyer having to prove the car was faulty at the actual point of sale - the fact that it went wrong 2 hours later meant the case was dismissed.

Obviously I can't name the dealer concerned but they are a fair size outfit and have been prosecuted by Trading Standards for other matters in the past. They're not short of money and can afford good lawyers and defend every case.

Most cases seem to either get settled out of court or the dealer never bothers to enter a defence but this lot stand their ground.

If you have expensive enough lawyers representing you versus a layman doing it themselves I guess it makes a difference.

Legals costs insurance for dealers to cover claims from customers has become big business in the last couple of years and an increasing amount of dealers have it so maybe more and more cases will be defended in the future.

As I have written here before most dealers who act considerately with customers do so because of their reputation and being basically honest not because of the SoGA.

I should add the dealer above deals mainly with high mileage £2k-£8k sort of stuff if that makes any difference.

Doesn,t make any difference to your fairy story because if you cannot furnish any facts thats all it is.

Doesn,t make any difference to your fairy story because if you cannot furnish any facts thats all it is.

As to why the light is coming on it could be a simple fault or more likely the timing chain and tensioner require changing a common fault on this engine when worn

Faulty engine light - pd

As to why the light is coming on it could be a simple fault or more likely the timing chain and tensioner require changing a common fault on this engine when worn

That's why before going on a mad legal case the OP needs to have a rough idea what it is. It could equally be a dodgy heater circuit on an O2 sensor which typically rated for about 8 years (the age of the car) and are considered a service item. "Envoking" (sic) the SoGA won't get anywhere with that.