Volvo Mercedes Volkswagen - Choice from range of automatics available - belucky22

I am finding out information to help me when I next renew my car. I would prefer an automatic but there is rather a bewildering choice. I am keen to know about reliability and smoothness of system. Also at what mileage might there be costly repairs ( I know there is an element of chance ) I am looking for safety, comfort and reliability in the car. I would like something medium size e.g A or B class Mercedes, S40. I would appreciate any information re automatic choice and/or any car suggestions 2009 onwards. I can't afford a Ferrari or Rolls

Volvo Mercedes Volkswagen - Choice from range of automatics available - balleballe

Dont get a DSG/S-tronic box offered by the VAG group.

Merc and BMW generally make the most reliable auto's in the upmarket sector.

I'm not sure of the new volvo geartronic units, but the old ones had all sorts of problems

Volvo Mercedes Volkswagen - Choice from range of automatics available - daveyjp
My manual B class petrol has been faultless in 2 years and 28,000 miles. Easy to drive, easy to park, loads of room inside.
Volvo Mercedes Volkswagen - Choice from range of automatics available - belucky22

Thanks for the posts. Had no response on the BabyBenz site in two days ! This forum is really active and I'm pleased to have found it.

Volvo Mercedes Volkswagen - Choice from range of automatics available - Avant

Unless your annual mileage is very high, go for a petrol, particularly if you choose an A- or B-class. I had a B200 CDI and the combination of the CVT and a 4-cylinder diesel engine made an intolerable droning noise.

For safety, comfort and longevity a Volvo S40 or S60 would be well worth considering.

Volvo Mercedes Volkswagen - Choice from range of automatics available - coopshere
I had the very same dilemma last year looking for a nearly new car. Had to have auto because the wife won't drive anything else now. BMW, Mercedes and Honda were the only viable option for conventional auto. However I didn't want to pay the overpriced costs the german cars incur when purchased or serviced/repaired and the Honda Accord was their only model that suited my needs (and was also what I was driving at the time) but failed on rear leg room in the estate version.

Did a lot of research and consulted friends in the trade. Discounted all VAG DSG boxes due to reliability and idiosyncratic features. Likewise was sceptical about the Ford/Volvo Powershift box do to its similarity to the DSG's.

Eventually settled form a Toyota Avensis Estate with CVT box. Was initially sceptical about CVT but could find no detrimental reports or criticism of the later versions.

Had it almost a year now and find it smoother than any auto I have ever owned ( except one and too many to count on both hands). It has now covered 17k and has been faultless. Has the added advantage, should you want it, of paddle shift and stick shift also a sport mode switch. All combined gives very good array of options to suit all driving styles (oh and gives a constant 38 mpg which I think is very good for a petrol engined car of that size)

Repeat previous post that this forum is really helpful. I only drive around 8,000 miles a year on dual carriageway and A roads, rarely ever motorway. I think I can eliminate diesels. Two supplementary questions - has anyone knowledge/experience of Volvo S40 or v40/50 ( 60 is bigger than I would like )automatics post 2008 ? and knowledge/experience of CVT with petrol engine, e.g acceleration ( thanks Coopsphere thinking of Mercedes here and any additional confirmation) ?

Many thanks

Edited by belucky22 on 10/04/2013 at 16:28

Volvo Mercedes Volkswagen - Choice from range of automatics available - madf

I have a Jazz CVT with petrol engine. Changes are imperceptible: it's a conventional fluid clutch matched to CVT - Sport mode for faster driving and floppy paddles for manual changes.

Did a lot of research - very easy to drive and extremely smooth... most of the time the only sign of a geachange is the change in engine speed on the revcounter

Basically all the Japanese ones are very good... Toyota/Honda.

Edited by madf on 10/04/2013 at 16:48

Volvo Mercedes Volkswagen - Choice from range of automatics available - barney100
I have both Volvo and Merc autos, both well in excess of 140k.
Volvo Mercedes Volkswagen - Choice from range of automatics available - injection doc
I have had autos for years
Vw DSG boxes ok on 2.0 tdi passat in fact one of the best combinations! Reverse not brilliant as no creep function but used to average 58 mpg!
Merc E250 59 plate worst ever for making up its mind as to what to do and had so many quirks it was a joke.
Freelander 2.2TD auto best auto box ever with faultless change and fantastic performance and changes down going down hill or slowing for roundabouts so no sitting on the brakes ! Also tows 2tons of caravan without going over 2500 rpm ever !
Smaller autos and CVTs can be noiesy
Diesel auto on a 2.0 diesel is a great match for torque and no roaring of engine.
Volvo diesel tends to be noisy!! My S80 D5 was like a tractor
My Ford autos have been very good but are DSG.
Best ever apart from freelander 2 box was the GM400 box in my 3.024v Senator
When u find a car, borrow for a weekend and drive to make sure.
Some autos quicker than manual and my Freelander2 is much quicker 0-60 in auto than manual , Fact! So for some vehicles auto compliments a car. 1600 rpm at 70 mph makes motorway work relaxing

Thanks for the continuing helpful posts. I'm certainly going to be better equipped next time I change. I'm going on holiday for next 10 days so will not be able to promptly thank any posts I may receive in that time. This really is a great forum.